Visibility problem with SHIELD stage + dark characters?

Anybody have problems with the SHIELD stage and dark colored characters? I was playing vs black sentinel / black Akuma and black VJ in that stage, and I was having a hard time figuring out what was going on. I definitively didn’t play as well as usual. Not only because of the dark scheme, but also the flares and all the stuff going on in the background. I find it worse against pixie characters, since they’re all over the place.

So… is that a concern? I have average eyesight so I don’t usually get that kind of problem (although I DO hate the diner stage in SF4 because of the huge flares on the ground). Would it be OK to request not to fight in that stage with dark colored characters in a tournament situation? Would it be fair to use it at your advantage?

I love this game, I love the graphics and it’s style, etc. No hate.

It’s a valid concern, most definitely.

Have you seen black Spider-man on that stage? It’s pretty ridiculous.

I don’t really have this trouble, try adjusting your tv/monitors’s vibrance or brightness.

I didn’t get the chance to see that mainly because sadly nobody plays spidey, but that must be pretty horrible indeed.

Pasky: I did try that, it doesn’t help much. Background flares are still there and very annoying, and the characters and the background are almost equally dark, so adjusting the brightness just makes it the same, just more… grey. Also, not sure you would be allowed to mess with the tv settings in a tourny. And if you could, you might as well just ask for another stage instead. Unless you opponent decides to use that to his advantage.

on SDTV’s I have a huge problem seeing dark characters but on HDTV’s it’s just fine.

along with clipping of the characters and net code, this was one of the things I was complaining about since you could also do it in mvc2. If capcom wants to be dumb fucks and not listen to people who know what they’re talking about, fuck em.

I play spidey and yes I will mix that ass up on the dark stages with green\black spiderman and it is tournament legal.

Tired of capcom being idiots so I’m just gonna exploit.

I have an HDTV and I find it to be a problem. In a game like this, losing track or taking even the slightest bit longer to recognize you opponent’s position is bad.

The SHIELD stage is bad in general, it’s too dark making black outfits hard to see and has a bunch of shit moving and lighting up in the back.

i thought this watching one of the matches from the Final round stream. there was a black spidey and i couldnt make out where the heck he was. its definatly something people will exploit. not sure what kind of a fix there would be for something like that though, other than brightening the stage/characters a little but i cant see that happening.

it’s tough to see for me too, even on a 63" hdtv

any character with a dark outfit will be in “stealth” mode on that stage.

There have been bad stages in a lot of previous fightings games. People either switch stages when bad ones are randomed or just straight out select a good one. This won’t be a problem or an “exploit” in tournament play.

The Resident Evil stage is also pretty bad for the same reasons. Black sentinel drones are really hard to spot.

I don’t remember which stage it was in ST that had more slowdown than usual, but yeah, I can certainly understand that, and I hope that’s what happens. As legal as this strat might be or not, I just don’t think this adds to the game. But I could see people taking advantage of that when there’s big money on the line.

Has it ever happened that a stage gave one player advantage over the other player? Not counting stages like Vega’s in SF or Mai’s in fatal fury 2 where the stage were designed that way. I can’t think of any.

Anybody remembers Charlie’s stage in A2 on GGPO? Flickers everywhere, that was fun.

Huh. I previously have lost tourney matches in MvC2 on the black cannery stage with people choosing black Sent/black Blackheart. The guy VERY deliberately chose that team on that stage.

So when people say that it magically won’t be a problem, I’ve gotta say I don’t believe you. And the comments from shoult above and my personal experience with … non-friendly players in the past lead me to believe that it would be. If you don’t notice it, that’s cool, but it’s still a horrible stage design.

Huh. I previously have lost tourney matches in MvC2 on the black cannery stage with people choosing black Sent/black Blackheart. The guy VERY deliberately chose that team on that stage. Close game, but I lost track of his characters in the muddy haze repeatedly and that was the difference. And that’s MvC2, where you need more than one hit to kill someone.

So when people say that it magically won’t be a problem, I’ve gotta say I don’t believe you. And the comments from shoult above and my personal experience with … non-friendly players in the past lead me to believe that it would be. If you don’t notice it, that’s cool, but it’s still a horrible stage design.

People have brought this issue up in other threads and I tend to agree.

I saw a number of people at Final Round picking Daily Bugle or Asgard specifically to avoid this issue.

Seriously, wtf capcom.

If someone tells me I can’t play the dark stages cause its cheating, I’m gonna ask to show me where it says that. Since I run spidey, picking those stages actually benefit me and stages aren’t banned cause you can’t see 2% of the cast. If a stage is banned from my personal EXP, it has been because of stage lag. Some of the old school a2 players played like this but for some reason, the mvc2 community never did. If we can’t agree on a stage, its gotta go random in which case I still have a slight chance of getting a stage that favors spidey or other dark characters.

I did not know about the MVC2 stage, that’s pretty damn terrible. I can understand that MVC2 was that kind of game though, where you’d see weird glitches like that, since they pretty much took everything and put it in a CD. That excuse doesn’t work for MVC3 though, and that’s a shame. Rushed or not, I feel like the devs didn’t have time to sit down and play the game (play to enjoy, not to test, which I like to think they did). That’s not the kind of stuff you can correct when on paper, but that kind of detail, it’s flagrant when you’re playing it. I guess you can’t focus on everything, 100%. Or something. I’m not a game dev.

As for your 2nd point, I would definitively use the stages to my advantage, especially if money is on the line. Any advantage you can get, the better. But I think it’s a good thing to debate while the game is still young; whether or not a player can request a stage change (before the game starts obviously), and whether or not the opponent can refuse to switch stage. Does loser switch stage? etc. Unlike lag, visibility is kinda subjective, hence the debate.

Again, legit strat and perfectly legal, I’d do it if it helped me, but I don’t think it would add a good dimension to the game.

Either way, I can deal with it, but I think a global standard would be pretty useful.

I run this in 720p and have a helluva time seeing on the carrier stage. It’s too bad cause it’s my favorite looking stage but it’s just too dark and my tv sucks I already have the brightness maxed out :confused: