Wanetta Gibson, woman who falsely claimed rape against Brian Banks, sued by old school; owes 2.6 Mil

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brian-banks-woman-whose-fake-rape-claim-put-nfl-player-in-prison-forced-to-pay-061513

For those that can’t get the link to work (or is too lazy to click it) the article is down below.

[details=Spoiler]The woman whose false rape accusation sent NFL player Brian Banks to prison for five years has been ordered to pay a $2.6 million judgment.

‘I’VE ALREADY WON’
Brian Banks’ journey to the NFL is nothing short of inspirational. Alex Marvez documents his amazing story.
Wanetta Gibson accused Banks in 2002 when the two attended Long Beach (Calif.) Poly High, where Banks was a star prep prospect. Banks was convicted of rape, lost his USC scholarship and landed in jail, and Gibson sued the Long Beach Unified School District for being unsafe and won a $1.5 million judgment.

Gibson later confessed that she lied and Banks was released in 2012. Gibson must repay a $750,000 settlement to the LBUSD plus attorney fees, interest and more than $1 million in punitive damages.

Banks, 27, got several NFL tryouts last year and played in the UFL before he signed with the Atlanta Falcons in April.

Lawyers were unable to locate Gibson, who has a history of civil litigation claims by and against her, including temporary restraining orders and domestic abuse charges. It’s reported she also is being sued by the county for child support after receiving public assistance. The ruling allows the school district to get the money through her future wages and property.

Banks was unavailable for comment. This fall he will continue pursuing his NFL dream, one of roughly 2,800 players vying for roster spots in NFL training camps. FOX Sports’ Alex Marvez documented Banks’ dramatic story in April.

‘‘I felt at the time in order for me to exit prison with a sane mind and be able to just function as a person I had to let go of certain dreams and goals I once held in life, football being one of them,’’ Banks said in April.

Banks said he ‘‘couldn’t have asked for a better place to be’’ than with the Falcons.

TROUBLE WITH THE LAW
Several NFL players have been arrested in the offseason. Take a peek at who made the list.
’‘I can’t believe this is happening,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s surreal.’’

Banks was a 16-year-old junior and had made a verbal commitment to sign with Southern Cal when Gibson accused him of rape. She recanted her claim and offered to help Banks clear his name after he was out of prison. That helped lead to the conviction being overturned by a California court and Banks’ record was cleared on May 12, 2012.

Banks said he read every book he could find while in prison and also learned to value every opportunity.

‘‘It’s almost impossible to explain, the feeling of not having freedom, to be stripped away of your freedom, of your dignity, the respect you once had,’’ he said. ''To lose it all and watch the world pass you by as you sit inside a prison cell, knowing you shouldn’t be there, knowing you’re there because of another person’s lies, to lose it all and then get it all back, it’s a very humbling, spiritual feeling that you just don’t want to take anything for granted.

‘‘I’ve had the opportunity to see both sides of the human spirit. … My journey has been crazy but my journey has been a learning experience that is unlike any other.’’

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Banks will be given an opportunity to win a spot on the Falcons at inside linebacker.

''I don’t expect any handouts or any favoritism," he said. "I’m here to work like everybody else and the result of my hard work will be whatever they deem necessary.

NEED SOME? GET SOME
Feed your NFL addiction! Come feast on all the news in our updating blog.
’‘All I can do is my best and however the turnout will be, I thank God for the opportunity.’’

The Falcons are the first NFL team to sign Banks, but he has had chances with other teams. He took part in the Seattle Seahawks’ minicamp last June following workouts with Kansas City and San Diego. He had one tackle in two games with Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League (UFL).

Banks also worked out for the Falcons before the 2012 season.

‘‘We had a chance to work him out last year and have been monitoring his progress since then,’’ Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement released by the team. ‘‘He has worked extremely hard for this chance over the last year and he has shown us that he is prepared for this opportunity. We are happy that Brian will have a chance to live out his dream of playing in the NFL and we look forward to seeing him on the field.’’

Banks has become a spokesman for the California Innocence Project, which works to exonerate the wrongly accused.[/details]

INB4 old.

I don’t know what pisses me off more, the fact that a bitch with a documented history of legal trouble got an innocent teenager locked away on the strength of her lies alone, or that the only reason he was declared innocent was due to her recanting. It’s not a good look when a bitch who hustles the legal system by crying rape does a better job at exho eating an innocent man than tax dollars, you just can’t make this shit up.

I’m glad that she is finally getting punished and exposed (albeit not nearly as much as she deserves considering losing money doesn’t begin to compare to losing years) and Banks seems to have the right attitude.

And now for some fun lets play: What would RockB do? Non gif responses are punishable by negrep I mean disagree.

The school I don’t give a fuck about, and they’re not likely to receive any of that money because she is now broke. What aggravates me is that we live in a world where it is easy to garnish a spouses ( Usually the man’s) wages after a divorce, yet in a situation like this, the bitch in question isn’t made to feel the same heat. She should be forced to compensate him for the rest of his life, just a straight up 75% of what she earns ( even if it is billions). Additionally she should have been thrown in prison for triple the time she spent locked up.

Argument against the above is that it would discourage women from coming forward, my counter argument is that the burden of proof against the defendant should perhaps be higher if you’re willing to acknowledge the fact that individuals will be prosecuted on a lie.

There’s definitely a problem in the system when there’s three words you can say, as a child, or a woman, that will automatically give a guilty verdict, even if you are lying.

Rape/Abuse/Molestation

Burden of proof needs to be set to a higher bar.

hahaha this thread title is like a rock batsignal.

@Matriarch, I’d actually like you to chime in here. Do you think it’s fair that a man can have his wages garnished for alimony/child support, but this woman probably won’t even be forced to pay a single cent back on this?

I just don’t see how it can only swing one way.

I, like most people, would assert that rape is a horrible, terrible thing. I won’t self disclose too much, but it’s something that I’ve dealt with indirectly through a friend, and nearly directly myself. So it’s something I feel very passionate about. The emotional wounds that it can cause actually make me wonder which is worse: rape or murder.

With that said I think it’s an atrocity that so many rapes go unpunished. Because of this however it seems the legal system has a very itchy trigger finger when it comes to rape cases. And unfortunately, sometimes innocent people get caught in the crossfire. I couldn’t imagine losing my life like that, especially to be accused of something so terrible. I feel I probably would have broken down, or at the very least, been consumed by a desire for revenge. The fact the guy in this story didn’t do that is a testament to his character.

If you want my honest opinion, I think the cause of this is that we need better ways of preventing and convicting rape. We need to reduce the occurrence of such a horrific event, and we need to make sure that justice gets directed towards the proper people. Going on witch hunts every time the topic comes up isn’t right and should not be tolerated.

The fact this woman was able to get away with this is simply disgusting. I’m not a judge or lawyer, so I don’t know exactly what laws or precedences are set for false rape claims, but if this case is any indication the status quo is simply not acceptable. I do feel that legally we seem to be caught between a rock in a hard spot. So many rapes go unpunished that we don’t want to make it easier for rapists to get away, but at the same time innocent people are suffering.

I feel the woman should repay what she has wrongfully won. Her selfishness has done nothing but destroy a man’s life and make it easier for REAL rapists who violated REAL victims to get away.

Woman jailed after five false rape allegations

you know when you bury a bitch like this or have a bitch like this burried it solves all your troubles. didnt the guy have enough money being a star and stuff to have it done? just kill the fucking bitch, it aint that fucking hard. all it takes is money and not being a little bitch yourself.

There is a whole thread about this.

I know someone who works in junior high school. A group of girls who always cut class approached him and said that if he doesn’t give them at least 95 then they will all separately report that he “touched them” even though they didn’t deserve to pass. Obviously it wasn’t worth it and he told them the answers to the final and project so he could give them 95s. Then people wonder why our school system is messed up and professors don’t even bother to teach and just read from the book or give out workbooks/packets.

Aside from that, the way domestic violence is handled is also messed up. You guys can listen to Orochi Ken (and his biased views) or whoever all you want but when a guy and girl both report domestic violence the cops bust in and put the guy in handcuffs, take him out of his own house, then get him evaluated. When does that happen to girls?

There need to be serious consequences for girls who make up lies that can destroy a man’s life. Personally, if a girl tells me she was raped/abused/molested, I can’t take her seriously because they lie about it so often.

Don’t like it? Go read about the story of the boy who cried wolf.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/Hotobu/searchfunction_zpse0e54a75.png

The worst part of all this is that he would still be rotting in jail if she didn’t have a momentary tinge of conscience.

The more I think about this case, the more I start shifting more of the outrage unto to the prosecutor and the Justice System that fucked up massively in this case.
And the judge that gave her such a massive settlement, holy shit.

Why is this piece of trash still not in jail…or better yet…tortured? I’d take great pleasure in watching her being lowered feet-first into a woodchipper, or thrown into a Brazen Bull. (*for those that don’t know about this wonderful device–> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazen_bull )

Million, you’re SRK’s premier creep, not sadist.

Million is SRK’s Travis Bickle.

Hopefully, by pointing that out, I’ve forever deterred him from going on a shooting spree.

That alone made this entire thread worth it. Well played.

Not that he could’ve ever planned for that in advance, but does he now think to record audio from every private exchange he has with students? I think it would be in every teacher’s best interest to do so, especially with smartphones becoming more and more prevalent these days. It’s super easy to record it, back it up to Dropbox, and know that if there’s ever a question, you have proof.

No, he wouldn’t. He was sentenced in 2002 to five years in prison. She admitted she lied in 2011, long after the statute of limitations on this case ran out so she couldn’t be charged with perjury.

She barely did anything to help him, and wouldn’t have if she could still have been brought up on perjury charges. Yeah, he may have gotten the conviction overturned thanks to her admission, but she is still a 120% grade A piece of shit.

Can’t do that, main reason my sister got out of the public teaching game is due to how fucked up things are for teachers, especially males. A coworker of hers was in a situation like this and recorded the conversation, he was fired for privacy violation or some bullshit.