Want to get into fighting games - questions

So I’m looking to do a few things.

Let me start by saying I loved fighting games back in the 90s at arcades, couldn’t get enough of them… I own both a ps3 and 360.

I have around $200 to spend on a nice stick and after research was looking at the Madcatz TE Fightstick… HOWEVER I obviously know I can’t use one stick on two systems without a dual mod.

I was looking at paying someone to do a dual mod (not comfortable soldering :mad:) … Which would be easier to dual mod, the ps3 or 360 stick? Also is the stick solid? I can get it for around $100 with my employee discount at a certain big box electronics retailer.

Also looking at purchasing some games to start me off, I enjoy my ps3 a bit more but really want to go with the best choice in terms of population, player skill, etc. Which console is used more? For the games I was thinking about buying SSF4 and Tekken 6.

And one last question… I know some of you are crazy about delays, Anyone know how well the LG 32LE5400 performs in this respect? I use it as my main video game / computer display and would hopefully use it with these games as well :slight_smile:

I’m also wanna some fighting games.

http://shoryuken.com/f177/need-modder-your-local-area-check-post-247741/

You can use that thread to find a local modder near you.

But a lot of people will recommend Gummowned. I just recently had him dual mod a pad for me.

Here’s his thread.
http://shoryuken.com/f226/gummowneds-modding-services-223278/

360 seems to be the standard for tournaments, for whatever awful reason. Not sure which has the more skilled players, though. Online is probably a bit better on 360.

Can’t help you with the TV lag question, sorry!

For ssf4 online, 360 is probably the way to go. For console tournaments, its kind of a crap shoot which console the organizer will go with. Sometimes it’s PS3, sometimes it’s 360. As for Tekken 6, its PS3 all the way.

Now as for sticks, if you plan on dual modding yourself, then it’s easier to start with a base 360 stick and mod it to work with a PS3 as well. But if you plan on getting somebody else to do it for you, then it’s not really as big a deal which one you get. Just buy a stick for whichever console you plan on using it with more, then get it modded for the other one once you’re ready.

And as for your display, that’s a question to ask in the tech forums. Don’t worry, they won’t bite.

1. The Xbox 360 TE is better for dual modding (read the stickies!)
  2. Yes, it is solid. Check the stickies for stick suggestions.
  3. Overall, the player base on Live seems to be larger that PSN, or at least that is the consensus here whenever the question is asked. Many people also argue you get more retards that way, as well. There really isn’t a tournament standard, though. Evo uses PS3, but many local/regional tournaments use Xbox.
  4. Most people will not how laggy your particular TV model number is or isn’t. You are better of googling your TV’s model number with words like “input lag test.” If any testing has been done, you can find it that way.

If you really want to get into SSFIV, I recommend you either get the asus 20 inch monitor used at evo or you just stick with a CRT. All HDTV’s have lag including the EVO monitor but the EVO monitor is the best way to go if you want to run it on 1080p. Without 1080p, SSFIV still looks pretty great.

I would take Xero’s advice and click that link if you want someone to mod it for you. 360’s in general are the console of choice for any form of online play. As for tournament standards, it’s really a shot in the dark. Some play 360 and others use PS3. I play on 360 and I’m happy with it.

Here’s a list of games I would recommend any fighting game enthusiast to try out. Keep in mind that some of these games aren’t on 360 or ps3

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
Super Street Fighter 2: HD Remix
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur 4
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
King of Fighters 11 (PS2)
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (PS2,Xbox)
Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Wii)
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter Alpha 1, 2, and 3 (Use MAME for the arcade vers)

Those games still entertain me to this day. If you really want to play other fighting games, you can always try Street Fighter EX3. It’s a not a completely bad game but I find it very fun. It’s the original Street Fighter 4.

Thanks for the info:

With the local modders - There is one in Maryland (where I am) but he hasn’t been active on the forums for a while, shot him a PSN message.

With the display - Good info… I’ll look into it if I run into issues.

For the consoles… guess I’m going ps3. I just don’t like my 360 as much :slight_smile:

Good info guys, I appreciate it.