Want to make the switch to fighting games! Help!!

Alright so i’m a semi professional starcraft2 player for pmsclan.com , Biggest gamer girls organization in north america, i play for H2O their male counterparts.
Anyway i’m actually getting sick of starcraft, in order to compete with the best in that game you need to be playing at least 8-10 hours a day, with school and a part time job, that seems highly unlikely and i should of stopped sc years ago.

After watching Evo 2012, i was hooked, there was something about this years evo that just changed my mind about fighting games. I watched 2011 and i liked it too and i always told myself i would give fighting games a try, but 2011 didnt get me hooked like evo 2012.

My question is should i be getting a xbox? or a ps3?
I’m not trying to go fully pro or anything cause i do go to school/work, but i want to be able to go to a evo or any tournament and at least make it through day 1 , thats my goal this year.
Is it true that xbox live plays the games better? and all the pro players are on live?
What is so bad about the ps3 and pSN?

I most likely will be playing AE, marvel and mk9. thos are my favorites

thanks for your help! I really hope to be a part of this awesome community.

I think a large part of the player base is on 360, but you shouldn’t count out Ps3,PC if its easier for you to attain those means.

Wait, are you saying you want to make it to top 8 at EVO?

From what I understand, xbox is better for online but (some one correct me if I’m wrong) all he tournies seem to use ps3. That’s all the info I can contribute, good luck it’s worse than a jungle out there.

Until this year, making it through day 1 meant getting out of pools since quarter/semi finals were day 2 and top 8 day 3. I think that’s what he meant. And honestly that’s not unrealistic a goal for someone who already has a discipline and tournament nerves.

Xbox or PS3 is really a matter of opinion. Though xbox has been known to have better online servers than PSN, but it also requires a membership fee.
$10 = 1 month $20 = 3 months $50 = 1 year
The only two “pros” I can think of on xbox live are Poongko and Juicebox. I’m not sure about anyone else.
The online communities for AE and Marvel are still fairly large. So on the brightside you’ll always have someone to fight. On the other side of course, neither of these games are new, so the entry bar is somewhat high if you are new to fighting games in general. But keep at it and it eventually won’t be a problem.
Though if you decide on xbox and get a headset to boot I’d be more than happy to throw you some pointers. So long as you don’t rage for no reason and aren’t annoying.
Anyway welcome to the community.

I’m glad you’re making the choice to give competitive fighting games a shot.

RTS and FG genres of gaming share some similarities, especially in regards to the high-learning curve and complexity of top-level tactics and mind games.

That being said, as I understand your post, you say that you want to make it past day 1 of Evo. Considering that all pools are played until top 8 for each day, that means that you want to reach top 8 ranks within a year. This is an extremely difficult task to do, unless you absolutely steep yourself in your fighting game of choice, and forego your social life and most likely your school work in order to get the level of training and practice that you need in order to develop skill that quickly.

A more reasonable goal, would be to either reach the finals in your first pool, or get out of your first pool. This is quite possible with enough dedication and practice.

If your plan is to primarily play online, then I would suggest an Xbox. XBL is a far superior online service, and the majority of top players play there. The PS3 with the PSN would be second, although it is generally not preferred due to inferior online services, as well as the PS3 version of the game having slightly more input delay. PC is also a viable choice, with a very good online matchmaking service depending on your internet speed, but many players just don’t go there, even after they were given a free PC copy of SF4 at last year’s Evolution. Usually fighting gamers own consoles due to its lower price of entry into the competitive market, whereas gaming PCs usually demand a higher initial investment cost.

As a bad general blanket statement, fighting gamers are poor, PC gamers are rich, which is reflected in how they approach the competitive culture as well as e-sports.

Before you begin!
Know that it takes a looooooong to in training mode to become decent.

I’m sure you know about this since starcraft is a huge game. The level of practice, time, & research people put into games to be DECENT is crazy.
Having a PC, you can get a lot of MAME stuff and those old school games :smiley:
but shhhhh!

Evo is on ps3, but most torunies (majors) are on 360.
I hear that ps3 has varied input delay. :confused:
Since you don’t wanna go pro, its probably better to get an xbox so you can play right away.

Its probably better to get an Xbox.

WoW thank you so much guys! Very helpful and very mature community.

What i meant by getting through day 1 is not to be top 8 haha, top 8 would be mad hard to achieve within 1 year.
i meant getting out of groups of course, i didn’t know that getting to day 2, meant u were top 8. Of course i don’t see my self getting top 8 within a year.

I did end up getting a xbox slim earlier today, because of comments like the player base is bigger on xbox and if you are playing online alot then xbox live is the way to go. I’m still a ps3 fan, and i plan on getting a ps3 when the time comes.

All i need to find now is a good stick for the xbox… any suggestions?u

Again thank you so much for all the replies, it helped a lot and it helped me decide to pick up this xbox.

Thank you

teaCh

I would start cheap with a stick. I have used the hori sticks that are around $60, they don’t take punishment too well though. You can definitely make that stick worth it for your whole life though if you take care of it. The more expensive ones are more durable from what I hear. Maybe you want one custom made which isn’t a bad idea, head to the tech forums. THERE ARE BAD STICKS, DO NOT SETTLE FOR LESS. I think a $60 madcatz or hori is definitely a way to go, and they are brand names you can stay safe with. The tech forums know what’s up, i would direct you there too.

Last but not least, perfect practice makes perfect. Sure, 8-10 hours a day on SC is tough, but Stephano can do it all in 4! I really do think if you want to get good at SF fast, play more regimented, record your matches (think a step before why you got hit to diagnose your problem of getting hit), and most importantly get into your local scene. Since you have a busy schedule, maybe that bit of advice might help. All the info is here or on eventhubs.com but it’s clustered–it’ll tell you how to get things down, but not in what order.

When you feel you’re good enough online, go to locals. Get bodied. Practice. When you do well in your locals go to majors and get bodied. Practice.
You’ll be fine.

I’m glad you’re having a positive experience so far with the FGC.

Getting out of groups is very viable. As long as you master the fundamentals of 2d fighting games, as well as learn a variety of matchups that you’ll have to contend with, you should do well in pools. The FAQs in the newbie section, as well as the ‘Domination 101’ articles, contain some great posts that should serve as a foundation when starting off fresh in a new gaming genre.

PS3 has some pretty awesome exclusive games, if you’re into that kind of stuff, and works well as a blu-ray player and general entertainment system. Both consoles have their pros and cons.

As for sticks, it really depends on your budget, and how serious you want to get into this. You can buy a simple MadCatz SE stick for like $50, even cheaper if used, and that will work great for learning how to input various commands, and learning how to utilize an arcade stick to control your character. If you use it long enough, you might want to consider investing into competition parts, such as Sanwas or Seimitsus, since they tend to have better feel and reliability than stock parts. A MadCatz SE stick is very good bang-for-buck value, since you can just replace the internal parts with high quality stuff, for cheaper than purchasing a $150 stick.

If money is no option, you can go for my personal favorite, the Qanba Q4RAF. It’s a dual-modded stick, which means you can play it on both xbox and ps3 systems at the flick of a switch. This is a great option, since the majority of players and small tourneys use an xbox, whereas Evo uses only PS3s. This avoids you having to purchase 2 sticks. It also comes with a great felt non-stick bottom that helps improve stability, has all quality parts, a nice carrying handle, and a slot to fold up your USB wire. Nowadays it’s hovering around $150-$180. You can also opt for the Madcatz TE stick, if you want something that already comes with high-quality parts, so that you don’t have to open it up and mess around with it. Those are about $150 or so.

Remember, an arcade stick is much like a musical instrument. You can buy the most expensive one you can find, but if you don’t have the skill to back it up, it won’t be much good to you. In the end, you’ll have to put in the time to practice controlling the arcade stick until it becomes second nature. It’s similar to learning how to assign hot keys for both macro and micro-management. It’s something you develop over time, and can mean the difference between a dropped combo for the loss, or near-perfect execution to win you the round.

welcome to the FGC dude. If your town / city has gatherings, go to them. Keep an open mind. And have fun!

Out of curiosity. Has any other PMS clan members tried to get into fighting games?

Seconded on the Q4RAF or something else dual-modded out of the box if you’re serious - the best place to buy one is probably from Eightarc since they’re an official Qanba partner. Not cheap, but they use top-notch parts and you won’t have to buy a second stick or get (or do) a dual mod whenever you pick up a PS3 (or play at any PS3 tournament).

I honestly don’t understand why anybody would want to buy an Eightarc, when they are literally the exact same stick that Qanba produces. There are minor differences, and Eightarc is godlike at promoting them, but they’re the same thing.

The only difference is that the Eightarc has slightly different front panel art, a re-located start button, and it’s $30 more expensive. Imo, it is not worth the extra $30 for the flash value of having an Eightarc stick, and a re-located start button. If people are somehow accidentally pressing a button almost 2 inches away from their rightmost button (if using standard Jap staggered button config), then they either need to either calm down or work on execution.

eltrouble - thank you very much, your post was very insightful and im gonna look for the dual modded one, and if not, probably the SE to i can get use to a stick, then later on a TE.

Roy0, they actually had a fighting game division, but it ended up dying. I’ll still represent the team, and wear my shirt if I can manage to play decently and attend a major just for the experience.

Do you plan to play primarily online? While SF4 is playable online, the netcode is still far from ideal. Marvel and MK9 from what I hear perform worse than SF4 online.

Almost all of the best FG players play primarily offline with their local scene where there is no lag to affect their ability to react, block, punish, and execute their moves. Online is still a great tool used by many to learn characters and matchups but it isn’t taken seriously for high level competition. Also, many top players come from the arcade scene so offline face to face interactions with their opponent will always be a preference for them even if online play has zero lag.

I agree with some of the posts here. As good as online is, the best practice will be found in your local offline scenes. It’s best to look up the matchmaking section of the forums, look up your local area, and try to find some solid offline competition.

While the online systems and online tournaments are considered a staple in the PC community, it is most definitely not this way in the fighting game community. Serious competitors and tournaments are always held offline, by virtue of fact that since they bothered to travel to play a fighting game they can play at home in their underwear, they’re going to be a more serious competitor. Slight lag spikes can greatly affect your gameplay experience, moreso than in the FPS, MOBA, and RTS genre.

I have both systems and AE, UMvC3, and SFxT for both and there isn’t much of a difference. More important i see what the community u are in is playing on so u can play them online, and get you Stick dual modded if it isn’t multiconsole already.

Whilst what eltrouble said is undoubtedly true, and whilst he is most likely a much better player than I, I would recommend to anybody that’s serious to buy an arcade stick with proper Sanwa/ Seimetsu parts. I use a modded TE, but earlier this year bought a New Madcatz SE cheap in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get my partner into SF. I had planned to mod it with spare Sanwa parts anyway, but obviously wanted to test it before opening it up. Played a few matches with it and was surprised at how spongy and unresponsive the stick and buttons felt. I replaced the parts with Sanwa, and suddenly the inputs felt sharp and precise.
To carry on eltroubles instrument analogy; whilst it is definitely true that top gear will not make you a good player, if an instrument is badly out of tune no amount of skill will change that.
Just my opinion, but bad parts may cause you problems that have nothing to do with your skill.
Also, it’s worth noting input lag. Depending on your tv/monitor setup, you may experience input lag. There’s threads in this site regarding it, cos there’s far too much info to go into here. However, I only found out about this earlier this year, and although I still use my Sony tv as I can’t afford yet another new tv, changing my setup to use Xbox VGA cable has made a seriously noticeable difference to input lag. I can actually tech throws online now! Hope this helps.
Welcome to the FGC dude.