Warriors Fate: Street Fighter story thread, revived

Basic Street Fighter rule is: Unfortunately Capcom sucks at putting together competent stories for Street Fighter.

Hopefully they get better at this. They should get their shit together and get both a series bible (doubt they have one) and a story director. Tighten this shit up STAT.

I generally agree with everything you said but I am inclined to comment on this.

Capcom do not make anime, but they chose anime as the primary medium to relate the stories of SF4 - They could’ve chosen CGI or they could’ve gone with still images, but they chose anime this time round. They commissioned Studio 4C, like they commissioned Dimps, like the commissioned the voice actors, to all work in tandem to co-create 1 game. The final product and all the OVAs were ultimately produced by Yoshinori Ono, and released BY Capcom to the public, alongside and inside their game. They share too many of the same writers, animators, directors, actors, and other staff to simply be dismissed. If the argument that third party = not canon is to be believed, then SF4 by default is NOT canon because it was co-developed by a third party and so is SF5. But that doesn’t make sense now does it?

All the story related OVA have a chronological order for their events given to them BY Capcom in relation to their games. Why would Capcom do this if these things weren’t meant to be part of the whole? I think many people dismiss the OVAs because they didn’t like the character portrayals, people expected more I guess after such a long absence, and also because they equate something like TTTB or the Juri OVA with other animes that were licensed out (but not released by or for Capcom). Well Capcom tried, they put the most effort in SF4’s story but lo and behold how quick people dismiss it as non-canon or worse, completely incoherent. Like you said, the Japanese don’t like explaining things too much, and that is lost on many people observing SF4 and SF’s story in general (which is in bad shape, but no where near as what some people want to make it out to be).

Anyway, you said it yourself that you haven’t seen the story OVAs. If you manage the time watch them in order (Chun-Li/Sakura/Viper Aftermath OVAs > TTTB > Juri > SF4 Prologues > SF4 Endings) and perhaps you will see the sense in it all.

Sooooo… Who here feels that SF5 is before or after SF3? Makes sense to have it before SF3 so we can get some closure on the SF4 story. Besides, Shadaloo is still around in 5 and during 3rd Strike Urien mentioned that Chun-Li defeated “that organization”. Thoughts?

We had confirmation a few weeks ago actually from one of the Capcom staff that the game takes place before SF3 but after SF4.

A lot of the story discussion has moved to the sf5 story thread in the sf5 forum.

Good to know - looks like I’ve got some digging to do!

Still waiting desperately for a full-on reboot

So… I was playing USFIV arcade mode with Makoto and beat Ryu. She said something about her grandfather having told her all about him… who is this over 60 year elder that told her about this nearly 30 year old world warrior?

Hey idk if anybody could be able to help on this, but I’m trying to figure out what Seth’s stage is all about. I’ve been curious as to what the crazy contraption was at the center of the stage, and to what were in the tanks hooked up to the contraption.
I’ve recently come across some concept sketches I hope someone would be able to translate if they had the time.
Interesting to point out that one of the sketches has the center piece hands replaced with a Shadaloo symbol suggesting the stage was intended to be directly related to Shadaloo instead of S.I.N.

Spoiler

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_15.jpg

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_20.jpg

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_16.jpg

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_18.jpg

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_17.jpg

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_21.jpg

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_19.jpg

http://www.fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfiv_art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art/SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_07.jpg

For all those who think SF1 isn’t a tournament plot, I have this to ask: Are you allowed to have a street fight in the following locales:

1. Mount Rushmore (Mike’s stage).

2. Any of the five likes near Mount Fuji (one of which is Geki’s stage).

3. The Great Wall of China (Lee’s stage).

4. Royal Palace, Bangkok (Sagat’s stage).

Because I’m pretty sure you can’t unless they’ve been rented out as revenues for a tournament, and the only for stages like that to work is that there has to be a tournament.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 is confirmed not to take place in a tournament setting, and you’ve got a stage for a street fight in the middle of Osaka.

To my knowledge street fighting anywhere is illegal, but I don’t think you would title a game Street Fighter, if all the fights are officially sanctioned like in a tournament.
If anything, the matches in the original Street Fighter follows Ryu on a series of Mutual combat meetings against fighters he meets throughout his travels.
For the title of the game to be called “Mutual Combat” to describe the events taking place makes the game sound too much like a PG version of Mortal Kombat.
Therefore the game is called Street Fighter, and for good reason.

Actually, that’s from Zero/Alpha: Warrior’s Dreams. And in the case of all of those games, not all stages are arenas. Like for instance, Cammy’s stage in Super Street Fighter II-X/Turbo.

Also, I’m using stages as evidence because of DRW’s insistence SF1 was no tournament.

I don’t think you can apply real world logic to explain a plot detail in “Street Fighter”.
In reality, fighting in a temple or in a palace wouldn’t be allowed even if the setting is a tournament. So, in this regard the “Street Fighter” games are unrealistic anyway.

In reality, you wouldn’t be allowed to fight in a palace. But likewise, in a sanctioned tournament you would still not be allowed to fight in a Buddhist temple.
Furthermore, a sanctioned tournament wouldn’t be held in the market district of a Chinese town with people on bicycles driving by.

By the way, the fact that “Street Fighter Alpha” has the Chinese Wall as well, even though this game isn’t a tournament either, pretty much proves that in the “Street Fighter” universe, fighting in these areas is not an uncommon thing.

So, sorry, but this logic just doesn’t work. You cannot prove a plot point about canon by pointing out that this or that detail wouldn’t be possible in the real world.
In the real world, a tournament wouldn’t take place all over the world either. But that still doesn’t mean “Street Fighter II” isn’t a tournament. In the same way, your arguments don’t prove that “Street Fighter I” has to be a tournament.

But answer me this, which is a question not based on real world logic, but that is valid even in the “Street Fighter” universe: If it is a tournament, why do the “Street Fighter I” battles have no audience at all? There are no people in the backgrounds watching the fights. Why?

But wouldn’t public locales be able to earn mullah by hosting fights? And in the case of using the Royal Palace in Thailand, the reason that happened was because to the Thai people, their Emperor included, Sagat’s a hero for winning the Muay Thai Settlement Wars 17 times.

Probably because Capcom didn’t think much for the story when they made it back in 1987, and that there were limitations on drawing the 2D planes. It’s also like how both Mortal Kombat and Tekken did the whole “you have to wait until the next installment to find out how the current installment ends” gimmick. In Street Fighter’s case, All There in the Manual.

Again: It does not matter.

We’re discussing a question about “Street Fighter” canon here and you try to backup your idea with questions about what real world tournaments would work like. This is totally unimportant. It’s pure conjecture and doesn’t help us at all.
Ryu Hayabusa in “Ninja Gaiden” walks through an American city and slices people, yet they never address this in the cutscenes.
You cannot apply real world rules to this and call it a day.

And by the way: I already showed you that fighting in any random area is a common occurence in the “Street Fighter” universe. So your argument that SF1 has to be a tournament because otherwise it wouldn’t be allowed to fight in these locations is absolutely null and void. This statement is disproven by the many games that have equally unlikely stages and that are not tournaments.

Which basically proves my point, kind-of. If Capcom didn’t think much of the story, then where does the whole “This is a tournament” come from?

This is bullshit. It doesn’t matter whether you fill your background with tiles that look like objects or with tiles that look like people. Especially in a game like “Street Fighter I” where the background seems to be one layer and not a collection of separate objects.
If this was a tournament, they could at least have included one token stage with some audience. But there’s nothing. The big final battle of this famous worldwide tournament is held in front of no people at all.

And the ending explicitly says that you cannot rest in your glory since there’s always someone trying to take away your title. Which would be an impossibility if it was an actual tournament since you couldn’t lose your title until the next tournament.

This paragraph has nothing to do with the topic at hand and is a completely different thing.

To be fair, there is an audience during the first bonus round before leaving Japan.

Strange they all would be watching Ryu chop through a stack of tiles, instead of watching one of his fights.

I still don’t think that SF1 represents a tournament, there’s just nothing to go on that would suggest it. The distinction between Ryu and Ken has always been; Ken: the U.S Martial Arts Champ, and Ryu: the man who defeated Sagat. Ryu is never referenced as any sort of “Champion” throughout the story, but the endeavor of defeating Sagat is so note worthy in itself that he garners fame from just that act alone. This is why Ken wasn’t included in the story of SF1, because he’s off fighting in a tournament becoming a champion, while Ryu is off proving himself to challengers from around the world, “no-holds-barred”.

Ryu has always been in reference to the old ways of martial arts, in contrast to Ken’s new. During old times very few matches between masters of an art took place in a ring, but they did so in the streets. It wasn’t unheard of for a fighter to travel from place to place challenging different schools and disciplines of Martial Arts in order to test themselves against another. During these times there weren’t a whole ton of fighting tournaments going around, if any. If someone were to challenge another to a fight it would more than likely take place in a public area, the most common being the streets.

I actually like this point, it’s not too dissimilar to the reason why someone like Zangief would be able to hold a fight in the middle of a steel processing factory during work hours.

Lol I always get the Alpha games confused. Anyways, Cammy’s “Tubo” stage is actually a bridge that’s only a meter wide, and that’s fought on during a tournament!

Pretty confirmed that SF1 is Ryu’s travels post-Gouken-training culminating in his match against Sagat. While this is happening, Ken is in the US whooping ass in the US championship

Well guys, I’ve found some answers to a good portion of my questions, if you want to check them out I’ve compiled them below.

Spoiler

Did Adon ever get to challenge Akuma after the Alpha series like he wanted to?
He seems to completely given up on this during SF4, although it’s kinda ironic Akuma’s double roundhouse is identical to Adon’s during SF1.

He finds Akuma during Alpha, but Akuma doesn’t consider him worthy.

Does he truly find Akuma? His win quote to him in SSF4 suggests he would want nothing to do with SnH or Akuma. Where as his Alpha counterpart was almost as infatuated with the idea of defeating Akuma and claiming SnH, to the point where it rivaled his obsession with defeating Sagat. I just find it ironic that the attack Akuma uses in SF4, in a way, originated with Adon way back in SF1.