Way to test wired connections to PCB before pushbuttons arrive?

I ordered some parts from Lizard Lick 4 days ago, but with their backlog, there’s no telling when I’ll get them. I took to soldering my Madcatz PCB last night, and since it is my first time ever soldering, I would like to test everything. Is there an easy way to test my connections with something else to see if they work? Or will it be easiest to just wait until my pushbuttons get here?

A multimeter is a great tool.

Great, because I have one. :slight_smile: Unfortunately, I’m not too good with one. :frowning:

Care to give me a couple of quick tips on what to check for? I’m not good with voltages, resistance, etc, but I know the terms and that I can check them. Do I need to plug my PCB into the 360 to test? Do I need to connect my two ground wires on my Madcatz PCB before plugging in and testing?

I appreciate any quick tips you can give me.

Use it as a continuity tester. Put one probe at the end of your wire. Then touch the other probe to the pads of the pcb. So, let’s say you put the probe on the ‘up’ button. When you touch the up pcb the multimeter will either ‘beep’, display ‘short’ or show zeros. This means that you have a completed circuit there.

Now, depending on what kind of multimeter you have, you’d have different options. Some of mine have a built in continuity test, they beep and all kinds of stuff.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/electrical/continuitytest.php

Here’s what you’re looking for:

1. That the end of your wire and the spot you wired to are connected (shorted out).
  2. That the end of your wire and * all other spots you soldered to are NOT connected*

This becomes increasingly easy. With 12 solder spots, you check the first one against the next eleven. Then with the second one you check against the remaining ten (since you already know about the first and the second one). The third one you check against the remaining nine, and so on.

So when you’re done you’ll know everything that should be connected, is connected. And everything else remains separate.

Also, note that if you’re using a common ground controller then, all of the ground spots will register as shorted with each other. This is normal.

Thank you very, very much. Nicely explained, I understand every bit of that :). Now I can’t wait to get home and test my connections.

Umm, hook the PCB up to whatever console it is intended for and put a signal wire together with the ground wire? That is exactly what the microswitch in the button does, just closes a circuit.

This is what I was going to say. It’s less sexy than the multimeter explanation though:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3199/mc05ci1.jpg

That’s how I tested it after doing the multimeter testing just to make double-sure.
lol
That method works great as well if you don’t have a multimeter, but if it doesn’t work how it’s supposed to when you try to use it on a console, then you won’t know which connection is the one that is messing things up for you.

That’s when a multimeter really shines. It informs you of what connections are not complete.

Sweet. I’m gonna hop online with wires in hand, and see if I can beat somebody by touching wires together. :smiley:

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help.

I would assume you have more than one set of wires, make sure to test them all and let us know how your “beat somebody” thing goes

-joe

Plugging it into the console is not really ‘testing’ it. It’s kinda ‘using’ it.

Granted almost nothing he did would be bad enough to hurt the console but, if you have a multimeter and the time… it’s a good idea to use it.

Hey everyone. Think I destroyed my TE ps3 pcb while attempting a ps3 to xbox dual mod. Is there a way I can test the PS3 pcb with a multimeter to make sure its broken. Thanks

If you really want to make sure its broken, I would smash it with a hammer, then you can be sure. Sorry… shouldn’t be so flippent.