-- Weightlifting & Nutrition Thread -- v9.0 Optimized

I don’t know too much since I just started as well, but from what I read is, it’s a calorie game, and the best thing to eat would be anything with protein. And only a few carbs like starchy carbs as rice and what not, and then fibrous carbs like green vegetables but I’d look up on it, since I could be wrong (Or the entire article I read could be a lie. :xeye: )

I had a similar question, I have a good protein intake for my body (I eat just about nothing but steak as of late.) But would something like whey protein shakes be worth it as I’m only trying to lose body fat currently, but retain as much muscle as I possibly can.

Just don’t push it to the limit with the lifting, unless you don’t mind a prolapsed colon.

i personally frequent the mens health forum they always give good advice and i’m following the homegrown muscle program they have links below
homegrown muscle

the fitness forum

if you’re a beginner like me homegrown is a good program to follow till you have enough knowledge to start your own

ask them what you should eat and you’ll get plenty of replies and links about a weekly plan and how you should eat and i’ll tell you now what they’ll tell you,eat 4 to 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism boosted so it burns more fat and calories

But is that what someone like me, who weighs 130 pounds, wants? I’m one of the few people out there who aren’t trying to lose weight, but gain it. I don’t wanna put on fat though, I wanna stay lean and just add muscle.

After looking at that link briefly, I would indeed like to look like this and this. Or at least somewhere between Pitt/that. I just don’t wanna get too big ya know.

Heres an assload of articles about weight gain diets and what not.

Yayyyy, it’s back.

I’ve been meaning to start another thread, but I don’t come to the boards as much anymore… damn school…

i’m interested in toning down my midsection.
could you guys point me toward the right direction/website/diet?

I’m doing alright so far, but i can tell i’m not doing the right thing by just doing 100 sit-ups at night. so yeah, i’d appreciate some tips.

nautilus is just a brand that makes workout machines.

so he is just doing a bench and incline bench machine.

I think you might find this useful: http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/abs/absFULL.html

It basically says you’re going to need to cut the fatty foods (it explains how to figure all that out), and NOT do situps. Crunches are more effective, whereas situps are too easily done improperly, causing strain on your back and not enough focus on your abs. Also it says situps will add bulk to your obliques (love handles) which would increase your midsection. Not what you’re looking for. Do crunches and leg raises, as described in that article. It’s a fairly short read. Read it. :slight_smile:

And cool LordViper, I thought that might be what it was. What about the other exercises I had in question? RPDrookie said hammer curls are just as if you were holding the dumbell like a hammer, vertically. What about the rest?

Also that Men’sHealth link seems very informative, but I’ve only skimmed over it as of now. I’ll add that to the first page so newcomes can find the info quickly.

yeah thats what you want cause you always want to burn fat so that you gain more muscle and less fat but gaining just means you eat more calories then you can burn theres plenty of calorie calculators on different sites where you put in your stats and it tells you how much to eat to get this and this so to like gain so much weight, you’d eat so many calories. gotta love technology

if you want to look like that thats at least 10 years of SERIOUS lifting and nutritioning…

laterals for sholders are where you grab dumbbells in each hand and starting from you sides lift them up laterally untill they are parallel to the floor, like when someone tells you to lift your arms to take your chest measurement…

im outi

Roberth

Nice!!
I, myself, am a SCRAWNY guy…like REAL skinny and I’ve always been too embarrassed to go to the gym since I am kind of weak too…
So, What am I supposed to do…? To start off?
I’ve read some of it, and I am not 100% sure which one is right for me?
Help?

Oh…and would it be GAY if people start posting pics of how they look NOW? like a Before & After thing… -_-
So gay =P

Ok, hope you guys can help me out here.

I can stand to lose a few pounds, and just tone up in general. I don’t have access to a gym at my apt complex, nor do I want to spend $150 + $30/month to join a gym in my neighborhood, but I do have a good set of adjustable dumbells. Any help here, or am I just much better off going and spending the money to join Bally’s or 24hour?

Same here. I finally just bit the bullet and went though. You should too. Everybody has to start somewhere. All the buff guys you see in there used to either look like you, or were fat. Besides, I think in most cases you’ll find that you’re not the only scrawny one in there.

HeaT: 10 YEARS?? Wow. Toby McGuire went from basically where I am to the way he is in Spiderman in 5 months. I don’t have the time to spend on it like he did, nor the professional trainers and nutritionists to help me… so I imagine I could achieve what he did in a year to a year and a half. Maybe those pics I posted were a bit too much heh. My target weight is 160-170… how much do you suppose those guys weighed?

Brad Pitt can’t be more than 170lbs (Fight Club days). And McGuire can’t be more than 150.

Norton in AHX was wayyyyyyyy bigger than any of them. No idea why he got so small again.

Yeah, from what I’ve read Pitt was 160ish during Fight Club. How much do you think these guys weigh? 1 2

Maaco can’t fix THAT kind of blow-out. :lol:

Depends on how tall he is. He looks around 175lbs. If he’s taller, then he’d weigh more.

i was recommended to go to http://www.wannabebigforums.com, but haven’t checked much of it out.

i did find a little motivational article taken from T-mag.com:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=573&page=1&pp=25

look at the homegrown link its made for people who either workout at home or a gym they have exercise you can do with dumbells or like me i only have a barbell with enough weight to be a challege so for every exercise theres 2 or 3 ways to do it depending on what you have