What am I doing wrong?

So, I’m no newbie to the fighting game scene, I’ve been playing fighters since I was a kid, and now I intend to get a bit more serious in order to compete with my friends and hopefully on a tournament level. I bought and customized my own fight stick (which doesn’t add or subtract from my skill) I’m just having a hard time doing combos and keeping consistent. I play UMvC3, P4A, BlazeBlue, Street Fighter, and Guilty Gear. Should I be focusing on training mode? Online? Challenges? I know this is a broad question, and anyone just giving me tips that helped them, or general tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, no “trolls” please.

You can start off by reading the FAQs in the Newbie section as well as the FAQs in each specific game sub-section you’re trying to learn. They are often a great source of information for newer players.

It’s difficult to give you tips without knowing exactly what you’re struggling with. General advice would be things like focusing on your fundamentals. Understand how to properly defend yourself, control your zone, understand how to utilize your normal attacks in a variety of situations, how to apply mix-ups, how to adapt your opponent’s play style, learning the game engine, learning the matchups, maximizing the potential in your character, etc etc.

It seems like you’re struggling with doing combos consistently. At least that’s what I gathered from your post. Try this. Practice performing your special moves, super moves, and BASIC combos, at least ten times in a row. Try to produce clean inputs. If you can’t do it ten times in a row in training mode, you probably won’t be able to do it in a live match. This is a great way to train muscle memory through repetition. If you get bored or tired, don’t be scared to take a break, or play a few matches online, or something to keep your training interesting and engaged. Be sure to practice these motions from both P1 and P2 side, since they require different motions, and most players tend to find one side easier than the other side.

So great. After that you’re ready to start playing at a more consistent level. Don’t try to do advanced combos, tight links, or any of that crap, just utilize simple combos that you can do reliably. Now it’s time to actually use that in your matches. It WILL NOT transfer over to your live matches immediately, because now your focus is being taken up by an unknown opponent. Doing these specials and combos outside of a controlled environment, such as training mode, into a live match, which produces more stress and effort on your part, can be very difficult. Training mode is there to help you prepare your skills for the actual match, after that, playing through enough matches wil eventually leave you comfortable enough to reliably perform your moves without any effort. Your hands will just know what to do after awhile.

Think of like it like training for a sport. Nobody just picks up Basketball and expects to be the lead scorer on your team overnight. You have to work on your basic skills in practice. It’s like doing drills. It reinforces basic concepts so that when you are ready for the big game, you’re better prepared.

Read FAQs before posting.

I did, I guess I was just looking for peace of mind, or for someone to tell me “Hey, here is the magical secret to being a god at fighting games.” Also, thanks for the input.

The magical secret to be successful at ANY skill is no secret at all…

Practice.

Of course, it’s understandable that people are looking for short cuts or a quick-fix to avoid this. But there’s absolutely no replacement for seat time with your game and controller. The top players all have a variety of skills and strengths that have allowed them to perform so well in tournaments, but they all have one thing in common. Practice. They’ve all worked hard to get where they are now. Even “naturally gifted” players have had to put the time into learning their game and honing their craft in order to consistently perform at the highest levels.

If there was a magical secret wouldn’t it be in the FAQs? Or atleast in the 900 other threads people start that look just like this one.

Go play your game, dedicate yourself to your craft. Don’t expect to consistently win for a long time. You will never reach a point where you no longer need to practice or analyze your performance.

Also I think you’re playing WAY too many games. To get enough hours down to get truly good, pick 1 or 2 games only.

Personally I’d pick the most popular games because that ensures plenty of competition.

Youtube videos will help big time, but it’s gonna take time to get good. I don’t know anyone at a high level who hasn’t put in hundreds of hours of play. And I know many, many who are average at best, who have also put in hundreds of hours of play.

You have to love the game first. That’s what will keep you coming back after all of the beat downs.

Love the game. Play the game. practise your setups. Eventually you’ll start to win more than you lose.

Which Street Fighter? There’s quite a few of them. On part IV, you can try picking Bison, and pressing the hard kick button every time someone comes near you.

I heard you can also set up this sort of trap with your fireball if you play Ryu. You can attack with a dragon punch if they jump over it.

Thanks, I’ve been wondering how to stop Chun Li beating me with all those damn gone-for-broke throws since Champ Edition!

Throwing is cheap and real players don’t do it.

And if you do do it, the other player is allowed to throw you back. If you don’t allow this, your chances of getting stabbed raise exponentially.

Also no combos, cross-ups, and if you win the first round, you have to let the other guy win the second round, but make it close.

We bringin 90s arcade rules to modern fighting games yo. Video games.

dude, training and challenge modes are just what we call “side dishes” eating a lot of that, wouldn’t make you full, eat the “main course” and play some real games, because this is where you get “full” , and winning is the sweet desert… keep “eating” until you get satisfied doc

lol
Great analogy, but real pros think about things in terms of mailing packages. You have to wrap your item (gameplan) with a box (fundamentals) and then send it (fight vs opponents) but it will be returned if you don’t use the right postage (uhh… dont do wakeup srks i guess)

Thanks for the advice everyone, me and my friends are really into fighting games, and I’m the only one of us who has really fallen behind everyone, guess I’ll stick to UMvC3 and one other game, either SSF4AE or P4A.

Nah, keep playing all the games you are playing. In the short term you will not progress as fast in any game as you would if you were playing only one or two, but in the long run as you will have a much greater skill base and will be able to transfer ideas from one game to the other, and will have a greater fundamental understanding of fighting games and will be able to master new ones much more quickly. It all comes down to who you want to be more like Wolfkrone who plays just AE and SFxT or Chris G/Justin Wong who can place well in games they don’t even know how to play because they have a better understanding on how fighting games work in general.