What are your expectations and predictions for SFV as a product and eSport?

Generally how well do you feel SFV will sell and attract a casual/hardcore fanbase and how well do you think it will perform as competitive eSport? What do you specifically want out of the game that didn’t already happen with SFIV?

For me as far as the product goes, I believe it will sell pretty well and get a name out for itself. I’d say realistically it has no chance of selling as much as MKX did as far as hard copies, but may be able to make up it for it with DLC sales. I personally don’t have a problem with it not selling as well as MKX since to me it’s just like the 2nd place fat kid at the hot dog eating competition. Maybe the MKX kid ate the most hot dogs and got the hot dog eating trophy, but damn that SFV kid ate good too. The main thing is that Capcom will get a lot of sales while giving people options where they need them which will tremendously help with building loyalty back for Capcom. They are doing things that usually only smaller/indie developers do as far as connecting with the players and catering to competitive gamers.

There are some hiccups with the game possibly not having spectator mode for lobbies at launch and no real robust story mode until summer, but I personally do prefer Capcom’s approach of making sure we get solid netcode and gameplay first. People should have a good time when they go online and play the game and the game should be solid enough balance wise out the gate that it’s as playable as possible. Playability should be as strong as possible at launch because for me, a fighting game is about playing and going head to head with a buddy first. I will always choose games like SFV or KI over MKX due to this. Not big on flash and story that sells at the expense of playability.

Granted I will commend NRS for stepping their shit up and giving people the good netcode they’ve been looking for.

As far as a competitive eSport goes SFV will obviously shine the best here. It’s going to have the most entrants at every tournament even surpassing MKX. Which means that even if MKX makes more product money than it does, SFV will still be the front line tournament game that people enter in the droves to compete and watch. The online being much better over longer and shorter distances than SFIV’s means online will be a big factor which is HUGE. That person in Wisconsin or Utah with no scene near them can grind up and get good in online tournaments then bring his skills to a popular major and get huge twitch views. Better yet even get famous purely online through large scale streamed online events with big prize pots. Which then qualify him/her later for more offline stuff.

I definitely see 2016’s SFV entrants surpassing 2015’s SFIV entrants at Evo and other majors and the bigger focus on eSports will just put things on a higher pedestal. The near equal importance of online play to offline play will get SFV more in line with PC eSports that thrive on heavy online eSport events. Allowing people to always be regularly competing in something huge rather than only month to month if you’re sponsored or much less if you’re not swimming in money. The only other exception being having a great career with time to spare.

SFV most likely still won’t touch stuff like MOBAs and certain FPS’ as the lack of a team aspect i think holds it back from being a game that’s easier to piggy back on. Hopefully it ends up like the Tennis of eSports where everyone just really gets into a sport where they can see one mind vs the other mind and just the raw visuals of someone beating up someone else.

SF5 will blaze up the tournament scene no doubt, but as far as “e-sports” go, it would need to get big outside of the community tournaments, it needs corporate involvement. I think it will do the best of any fighting game to date to be sure, but it won’t even begin to scratch that CS/Dota/League money or widespread popularity.

Myself and others I know IRL (as well as here on SRK) are getting into the game this time around. I think the added friendliness compared to SFIV, as well as the advertising campaign has a big chance to make the game much more appealing towards new players, but this won’t happen for a lot of people until summer. No story means many less people will be interested in the game at launch, however, it unlocks the game to be released (and therefore played) at Evo 2016. Obviously, this is Capcom’s intent, which I think is a great call, with MOBAs beginning to take over the eSports scene. Evo isn’t just for FGC anymore, especially with Pokken and Smash on the roster, so look forward to many people who are not deep into fighters or FGC to be watching Evo. This should “sell” a lot of people into the game, also considering the story mode is also “summer” sometime. Evo 2016 will probably be an insane year for SFV, but I think 2017 will be even greater. The late introduction of story mode allows for the game to become more balanced, as well as more community interaction, before the floodgates of casual or new players happens. Add the hype of Evo2016, and this almost ensures strong sales of SFV and SFV related accessories through the holiday season.

Wow, my continuity is terrible, sorry for the fragments.

Leave it to a newbie to say that Smash Bros and Pokken aren’t real fighting games. I like this guy already.

Out of the mouths of babes oft time come gems.

I mean… yee it’s mostly just the appeal of Nintendo IPs that are super appealing, but I have problems with Pokken’s implementation. Also, the average age of the smash community tho =) Most of the people I know who are into SF, GG, MK or other games are SUPER into it, while the Smash fans I know aren’t “hardcore”

This. Capcom has been alright in terms of nurturing the community at the higher levels, but if its going to be a solid e-sport its going to need way more of a marketing strategy than iv had. The simplicity of the game and the good online support is a decent step, but they’ll need to get even more involved with tournaments, streaming, and local scenes if they are going to succeed. Capcom is going to have to step up its game a ton if its going to be what they’ve been building it towards, a universal fighting game that the general gaming community can pay attention to.

Since it seems that I might actually make some money off this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pnl1ulaG5k

SFV (in my opinion) is already on the route to matching CS. In terms of esport payouts, counter strike is the lowest compared to Dota or league. Granted I don’t keep up with other games outside of the fgc but sfv shouldn’t be too far behind cs in terms of numbers if we take the capcom pro tour into account.

Should continue to boom. I remember going to Midwest Championships for my first tourney like 15 years ago or whatever, and that wasn’t a thing that was streamed. It just wasn’t online. Once in a while you’d catch some footage online and you were glad to see it. Even FIVE YEARS AGO you would get, what…one stream for a big tourney? I played at midwest championships in 2010 and I can’t even find my match online.

Has there been talk that there is no spectator mode ? If yes then this will suck BIG TIME and is a huge hit to their plans for online. I know the game is barebones but it can’t be this bare bones,

Sales wise i think it might depend largely on its reception. If people like Angry Joe and the others reviewers review this game and make point of its lack of content then it might not reach its target. I know that Capcom wants 2 millions but the content on launch is seriously lacking at the moment ( By the look of it ) . That might create a bit of a bad reputation. Casuals have been already burnt by games like Star Wars Battlefront, Destiny and Titanfall. Unfortunately, Street Fighter 5 may get branded as their fighting game equivalent.

The tournament scene will be great without a doubt.

Yea we discussed it. The spectator mode just has been described as coming soon, so maybe first big content patch in March. Really not sure how they couldn’t have that ready from the jump, just like the PC inputs issue is baffling to me.

I predict that rubbing the SF5 box on a human will cure minor skin melanomas and reduce the appearance of ageing by 13-15 years

I’m not very well researched on the FGC, but how many true professionals are there? In CS, even a top 10 team can be fully professional. Not just sponsored, but having CS be their full time job. The top teams earn salaries and price money well above what an average job would pay. For example, the top team Astralis pays their players $10,000 a month or something, and then there’s considerable price money and other things on top of that. Are the top Japanese pros? Is Snake Eyez pro?

On top of just the players, there is on camera talent and analysts that talk and write about CS as their full time jobs. Not that many, admittedly, but a few. Are there any fighting game personalities that don’t have to have real jobs?

Then there’s the viewership. A weekly pro CS tournament will have like 100,000 viewers. The majors get many times that. Advertisers love this because these people watch for hours and hours as an event usually is like 20 hours long over a few days. Right now, 4,000 people are watching a rerun on Twitch of an old game. They could just go find the VoD on Youtube of this game if they wanted to watch it, but they are watching on Twitch for the chat I guess and because they are hardcore fans. I don’t see anything comparable for fighting games.

Both Steam and the PS4 allow you to stream your game for viewers, is the lack of built-in spectator mode that bad?

yup, in the sense that if you have an endless lobby with 6 other people just staring at names until their turn is up.

Oh I had not understood that. Yeah that’s somewhat of a problem.

Got burned with SFxT too.

Practically any digital content on this planet will continue to boom. Too much population glued to a monitor. It’s only going to get worse (or better, depending on how you view it).

You have to remember that most AAA games these days make a good chunk of their money from catering to a core fanbase with post release content. Their main goal for the long term is more to keep people coming back and paying for content (be it characters, costumes, etc.) instead of relying on initial sales.

Street Fighter V Lounge "We on South Central crack addict status"