What are your thoughts about Capcom overworking their employees?

I heard from a Gamespot news that one of the producers of Street Fighter X Tekken commented that Capcom never gave him some repise and made him make up for the missed hours at work. Is Capcom really going downhill by making their employees work to death? What are your thoughts? http://www.gamespot.com/news/capcom-overworks-devs-with-no-mercy-street-fighter-producer-6382135 here is the link.

Watch this thread get locked/deleted because it’s “bad for business” too.

Hint: It’s just not Capcom, but the whole Japanese work ethic. Look up karōshi.

Yeah the whole working for free for hours on end because “you love the company” bullshit. I’ve read about it.

They should find a new job. It is more of a cultural thing though.

The Capcom overlords stay out of GD so we’re good talking all the shit we want about them.

This is 100% normal for a Japanese company. One of the teachers at a school I work at arrives at 8 in the morning, and leaves at about 12 in the night. It’s insane, but is considered expectable for a persons entire life to be their job.

He produced SFXT.

How hard could he have been working?

Typical Japanese shit.Dudes really thinking overworking this dudes is gonna fix their shitty games .But corporate Japan is filled with a bunch bitchmade dudes.Dudes are so afraid of a tradition that does not benefit them than to create new change.They don’t understand the main bosses truly don’t give a fuci about them .No amount of afterwork drinking smoking eating can make a dude making 6 figures more than you give a fuck.Dudes need to establish their rights soon .

well the people who made the iPhone I’m posting this message from were worked way harder. so I’m not sure if I care.

You have a seinfeld whatever avatar. Your post is invalid hipster bitch. Now go blow $923843243 on a cup of “tall” coffee and spend $9238943232 on a ipad every year.

When I was growing up, the running guilt trip of the day, was mothers telling their kids to eat their often horrible food, because “children were starving in Africa”.

Nowadays, it is “Be grateful for your iPad. Twenty provincial Chinese college students mentally snapped and suicided so I could pay AT&T for an additional internet connection to make your oversized phone-without-a-phone marginally useful. Now shut up, and drink your obviously Fair Trade (because it says so on the label) Venti iced-latte, Worthington. Some children do not even HAVE a trust fund, let alone three. Little Jose who picks beans at my outsourced plantation, the very beans that make your coffee, has nothing but an honest wage, yet he does not complain. And he is two years younger than you. Five year olds have it easy these days. I do sympathize with you for Flash not working on your iPhone, though .”

Seinfeld makes you a hipster? What fucking planet is this?

The same one where the main draw to the show, started spitting “ni@@er” at some hecklers, when his stand-up sucked?

Ummm… gaming companies in the US are much worse about this than the standard Japanese company. In the old days, LIVING at work wasn’t uncommon ,and in fact a lot of the features in classic games that you love were only able to be implemented before deadline due to some nerdy hacker who lived and loved his work and stayed up all day and night getting them done. :tup:

this is some weird optimistic shit

people still get stuck “living” at their job and it isn’t because they love it, it’s because they have to hit the deadline or they’re fired. nobody wants to get fired right now, but much more so in this industry. this isn’t exclusive to us gaming companies either.

That doesn’t make you hipster dude. Besides that incident happen long after the show was canceled.

Nope, I’m pretty sure in the old days before gaming became mainstream (herpa derpa hipsta!), developers were driven purely by desire to complete their project and love for programming. Middleware didn’t exist. Artists were programmers. Composers and sound designers were programmers. Pretty much everything was done from scratch by brilliant programmers. There is an ethos that goes along with the programming mentality (at least the sort of programming these folks did) that basically aspires to do nothing but program. If you’re not hacking, you’re wasting time, so why ever go home? Maybe living at the job is a stretch, but there most definitely were developers who didn’t have to worry about their jobs because they could literally go anywhere to work, but they were doing what they loved: Making games. It’s a win-win situation. Developer gets great talent, great talent gets something to hack to prove their salt Publisher gets every feature promised on time.

What happened is that they got used to that. Games became too huge for their pants and the industry refined itself into a more systematic industry. You have artists who make art and it plugs directly into the game via middleware so a programmer doesn’t even have to touch it. Music can be straight recorded samples now (yay!) instead of computer generated blips and low-bitrate recorded samples. The programming that happens is all deep in the game engine and often not even done by the same team making the game. Scripting is more popular. Games are being made easier to make. Their features, however, are becoming ever more convoluted. And for that reason, developers push their teams to put nose to grindstone and crank out a game with as many polished features as possible. Cause, without features, what separates Call of Duty from Battlefield? These people aren’t programmers, and without that mentality that goes along with hacking code, Developers lose an endless source of dedicated labor.

And yes, there are probably many a developer/publisher relationship that creates extreme and perhaps even abusive pressure to meet deadlines. That is just part of the gaming industry, as well as many others. :tup:

here is some insight

You couldn’t get away with what used to happen in the old days today. You’d get sued, as the large companies in the industry can readily attest. Back then, Origin bought most people couches for their offices. The couches weren’t for sitting – they were for sleeping. It was expected that you were going to spend a lot of long nights at work. “Crunch time” would often consist of 7-day work weeks and minimum 12-hour days, although some of us wound up doing a lot of 16-18 hour days. The “hard push towards the deadline” typically started about halfway through a project’s estimated schedule, which sounds a bit better than it actually was since the end date often slipped by at least a few months. As a result, you tended to be in “crunch mode” more often than you weren’t, and when you finished one game you immediately started on another. You really couldn’t have much of a life outside of work in those days, at least not for more than a few months here or there.

As hard and time-consuming as it all was, it was also a lot of fun. You and forty other people would be working at 2:00 AM when all of a sudden someone would come running down the hall, knock on your office door, and say that a laser tag game was starting. We often ordered food late at night and ate together. When time permitted and we could have a normal lunch off-site, we’d play ultimate frisbee, fly huge kites, or even have a company-wide football competition. I suspect that it’s partly because the industry was so new, Origin was so small, the hours were so long, and the respect for one another’s abilities so high that many of us felt a real sense of camaraderie. In many ways, I miss those days.

lolwut? Capcom knows as long as they have Ryu in a game they can even pour diarrhea on the disc before they hand it to people and it still won’t be bad for business. People will actually love them more if they mention the diarrhea is free and not paid DLC.

Ono still seemed to do more PR work than actually working on the game.