What can/should I do after losing?

I suck, terribly. I’ll admit that from the start. I lose often, often enough for me to wonder if I should be looking through my matches and stuff to see what I did wrong.

When I’m watching my games, what should I be specifically looking for? My mistakes, what the opponent does well or some combination of the two?

I’m not that good, by any means. Honestly I try to focus on what factors got me to deal damage successfully and safely. Even if I lost the match, if I took him to 70%, 30% life. What did I do that actually succeeded. I sometimes get so focused on doing combos, landing ultra/supers and nailing special moves that I don’t realize I took him down half his life with just normals. That I almost won the match with spacing and well timed kicks and sweeps than with complex motions. Unsafe moves and flubbed combos lost me the match, but I don’t focus on that. That will improve with time, I focus on the realization of what it was that could have helped me win.

But that’s me.

You got the right idea, as for tips

• pay attention to what worked
  • what didn’t work
  • what would’ve been a better decision in this situation instead of
  • what you should next time
  • what you need to work on
  • what you use too much of
  • what your opponent does (advantages/weaknesses, is your opponent susceptible to throws? good/bad footsie game? impatient player? wastes meter?)

Look for times when you gave away free damage. From the sound of it, you are still learning at a beginner to medium level. Record some of your own matches, and look for flaws in your play style that gave your opponent opportunities to punish you or attack you freely.

Wiffed moves you throw out to much.
Repeated pokes that opponents start punishing
Failure to tech repeated tick throw attempts
Jumping to much out of frustration
Jumping in after blocking a number of fireballs/long range pokes

Also look for times when your opponent mixed you up or got into your head, and look for repeated patterns in their playstyle that may not have been evident during your match. Along with that, look for times when you punish with throw when you could have done a large combo for more damage, and practice those combos so they feel like second nature.

Going over recordings of you matches should be great for you right now. It can really show you a lot about you play and respond to pressure, and where you can improve your game.

In almost a decade of playing fighters I have rarely recorded a match (unless the game had ingame recording), and I am perpetually stuck in medium level play. The above is good advice.

Also, playing with other players in your local area will increase your skill exponentially. I cannot stress this enough. It is what all the best players have most in common, a local network of players to inspire, drive and challenge them.

In some cases, is it better to shrug something off as a bad guess? I find myself always getting hit by Rufus’s EX Messiah kick when I expect him to throw. In this case, if I try guess the throw wrong and try to tech, the kick would hit me…and if I guess the kick and try to block, I get thrown.

The only solutions I can think of are:

1. Guess better.
  2. Analyze and look for a pattern (is it only every other time this situation pops up that he kicks? throws?)
  3. Avoid getting into the situation in the first place by keeping him out of this range.

I initially thought to learn to option select better, but if he’s slow enough, would my option select produce a cr.lk which the invincibility of the ex messiah kick startup eats for breakfast? I tried looking at the strategy guide’s frame data, but I don’t entirely understand how to read the stuff in parenthesis. also I’m not sure if the messiah kick counts as airborne and the kic kwould whiff under. I’m open to ideas.

I throw the controller, but I suppose that can become an expensive habbit around here.

We used to say that M.Bison’s repeated drill attack was written in hyroglyphics on ancient stone walls in primative villages by prophets.

If someone is willing, have them coach you on a few matches while you are playing so that you become familiar with improvement while you play. It develops your coordination much quicker to learn where to correct while putting your eye-hand coordination in action. Have you ever tried to remember a phone number or how to spell something and had it trigger by typing it? That’s your motor memory kicking in and it’s key to learn while using it in order to keep it usable. That’s how pro skateboarders and olympic athletes stick hard combos while focusing on their next execution.

If there is any hope to improve your game, you need to have your moves and combos down without question. I used to practice King’s really long combo that finished with the spinning ankle throw, until I had it down without thinking about it. Now it’s been so long since I’ve played Tekken 2 that I couldn’t tell you even how to do the separate moves in the combo. Why? Motor memory.

Coaching while practicing is key.