What do bigtime gamers use? octagon? or square?

hey guys. after i bought my 1st stick, i immediately replaced the stock square gate with the japanese style octagon gate. i really feel comfortable using it. executing things really nicely. however, i feel like theres something that an octagon can miss. for example, when i put back the square a few weeks ago, i practice tri jumping and was able top do it more smoothly. same with my DB/DF blocking. it feels like they were easier to do. however, i couldnt dash properly for crap cuz it would hit that bottom left/area of the stick. i also found doing the instant air QCF alot easier on the square. any tips on how i can transition some square advantages over to the octagon? cuz i really want to stick with the octagon for as long as i play fighting games. im also wondering what big shots like combofiend, marn, jwong etc… use? thanks for feedback

Majority of the well known players just use it stock.

heart-shaped. :stuck_out_tongue:

just practice with which ever you feel comfortable with. dont ride the gate. as for those veterans, they can play just about any stick of whatever types and makes possible.
(its mostly square)

Pretty sure most just use the stock square gate, especially Japanese players like Daigo and Tokido.

well comfortability, octagon for me. i guess ill just really have to practice hitting those corners. for some reason i thought octagon were more popular? which series of arcade sticks or cabinets or country even did they start making use of octagons?

some1 drew a geomeric figure of both sticks where theres a percentage on each corner and how often you would hit them. the octagon being 8 sided, has an equal percent on each corners, however, smaller percent for each. idk, ill practice some more.

Dunno, but square is the standard for most, if not all arcades in Japan.

ok so from reading, reason why im not fluid on dashing with a square is that they dont have a “true” up down left right

From Slagcoin.

I play with a square gate, it’s much better for backdashing, b, d/b b, d/b easier to hit

Square all the way. If you need circular movements, you don’t need to use the gate. I use the gate to find corners, that’s about it. I tried an octo, and it felt so sloppy and I had an extremely hard time hitting diagonals or corners, and it made circular movements feel restricted. It really shouldn’t matter what the pros use, it should matter what feels comfortable to you. I would never play on an octo again. I’d take a circular over an octo, but a square gives you the corners and ability to do circular stuff without killing the size of the diagonal zones.

i was gonna buy a circular. but whast the difference if according to that chart, the diagonals are still 6%? also, im guessing, if youre like really used to an octo, that 6% diagonal might be 100%. you know what im saying? like you know how it feels so you blindly know by heart where the diagonals are. well. just 30 mins of practice and now im able to do spencer’s instant air QCF. quick QCF motion + UF, wait for the jump frame and press the button.

Only reason to use octo or circle is if you’re riding the gate. And technically, you should never ride the gate - that’s just bad execution.

whats “riding”? like touching the edges? like following the edges to do the motion?

Yes. Although, for charge characters, I don’t think riding the gate hurts your execution at all, as d3v states above.

720’s are hard for me on a square gate to land consistently, and easy as pie on an octo. I know it is because I’m riding the gate on 720’s and I need to practice more, but it’s pretty frustrating.

Riding is when you’re touching the gate at just about every step of the motion. You shouldn’t do this, for good execution, the only time you should be touching the gate is either at the start, or at the end of the motion.

For charge, you can start at the lower right or left corner, but riding the entire motion can sometimes lead to the wrong move.

d3v, you mean CIRCLE right?

Oops. Let me fix that.

I’m a casual player with no pals to really play against in person and actually not too interested in the control focused play of fighters, so do take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you’re still interested in my conjecture, then when I started using the Sanwa parts, including the square gate, it felt kinda odd for me so long as I kept up my habitual way of playing arcade games. It’s much easier for me to hit the actuation point without going over to the gate if I use an open hand and tap it with motions of my knuckles, rather than gripping it with my hand outright. Makes it a bit tricky to perform forwards movement since I have to wrap curve my fingers around without touching the stick if I want to utilize rightwards movement though. Main point isn’t so much how I’m doing it so much as that with exotic equipment such as this, you might want to experiment with unconventional ways of holding the stick and see if you can motion it in a manner that gives you greater control. There are a lot of ways to hold a ball top. I saw a vid of this one guy who split his fingers so he could grip the ball from underneath.I think the overall

Octogonal is more of a western standard, so it’d make more sense with a western stick like a Suzo-HAPP, which tend to be larger, heavier parts with tighter, stiffer springs. I’d imagine that this allow western sticks to more easily allow you to perform more smaller movements in a more restricted area and a sort of resistance that’s less prone to picking up unintended movements.

Since you seem to have a japanese based stick, I couldn’t imagine switching to HAPP would be too easy. So far I’d say that japanese joysticks seem to be centered around allowing for quick and speedy executions if you have surgical subtlety, while western joysticks seem to be centered more around gauging your level of control using your physical strength and preventing mistake.

With this in mind, you might at some point want to take from a genre where preventing mistakes is somewhat preferable to take from a genre where preventing mistakes is often just as vital as : arcade shoot 'em ups. Precision control is a bit more important in these games than in fighters because their scale typically allows for much less leeway. The hitboxes are much smaller and more plentiful, so you need to weave around a lot and going just one pixel too far or too short results in a death. Because of this, you want to take things at a slightly slower, more analytical pace while maintaining the subtlety to work your way around in smaller screen elements.

As such, it only makes sense that the preferred joystick of japanese shoot 'em up fans is the Seimitsu, which is still a very loose joystick but marginally tighter than Sanwa Denshi parts most fightsticks use or try to emulate. Granted this has mostly to do more with the strength of the spring than the gate but the spring is how you get to the gate to begin with and once assembled really, the whole joystick serves as a single part with its own feel.

What I’m poking at here is that I’d suggest, assuming you’re able, that you mod it with a Seimitsu brand stick or swap in at least put in a Seimitsu spring to serve as a bit of an introduction into the world of japanese sticks. It’s still by far much closer to the Sanwa sticks than the HAPP sticks but at the very least, it’ll probably be an inch closer to a HAPP than what you’re using right now. Granted, this isn’t exactly dealing with the gate itself, so much as how you get to the gate and with your octogonal gate. It’d theoretically serve as a bit of a hybrid part making it somewhat useful as a transitional stage between the arcade parts you’re most likely used to and the arcade parts you might be moving onto.

In short: An octogonal gate might be more cooporative with a tighter stick since they appear to have more similar design philosophies.

It’s all a matter of preferences. Use a gate you’re comfortable with. All gates are nice. I myself prefer both the Octo and Square gate but I’m using an octo gate atm. In Japan they prefer the square-gate but hey doesn’t necessarily mean just because the grandfathers of popular arcade games prefer something doesn’t mean it must be the super leading type.

I’m going to make a really cheesy example:

It’s like saying Japan (the inventors of sushi) all prefer mackerel rolls. Doesn’t necessarily mean that every other country must try it and should love it. It’s all a matter of everyone’s individual preference. (I Love Spicy Tuna Rolls :P)

Just practice with a square gate and if you don’t like it then go for an octo or whatever your heart just feels like is right.