What do you ask yourself after losing?

I was just wondering what do you guys ask yourselves after losing a match or set vs someone so you’d be able to improve and hopefully beat that person the next time you play him?

Lets say it’s an offline set so you don’t have access to the replays, so what are the key things that go on your mind so you’d know how to fix your weaknesses or exploit theirs?

I mainly play SSFIV, but answers from players of any other fighting game are welcome too.

When a round is over, I only think about how the round ended.

I don’t think about what happened during the rest of the round because I should be doing that during the round itself and not after it is over and done with.

Usually, I think what am I doing wrong what he exploits me with, then try a different gameplan

When i lose I think of the following in order:

1. I just lost.

The most important thing. You have to accept it or you will not learn your lesson.

1. What did he do the majority of the time? How can I stop it?

Did he chuck fireballs and punish jump ins and focus attacks? Did he RTSD? What do I need to do to make him do what I want him to do?

1. Did I space correctly?

Very important, especially if you play Sagat, Blanka, Guile, etc. More than likely, if you end up cornered, you didn’t space correctly at all. Work on your footsies.

1. How aggressive was I?

Sometimes you have to be aggressive with some players, regardless of what character you picked. If you have to divekick more or chuck more fireballs to make him jump, then so be it.

1. Did I play the match-up correctly?

Most of the time, you lose because you played the match-up wrong. All of the character boards, besides Yun and Yang, have a match-up thread. Use this to your advantage.

1. Did I drop my combos?

It happens. Even Justin Wong drops his combos. All you need to do is hit the training room to make sure your execution is tight.

1. Am I just free?

More than likely, this is the case. Just play more and start playing better.

Better yet, everything Cee Dizzy said above.

“Why do I even play this game?”

what did I do wrong? how could I have blocked & countered/punished?

First off, I’d say before even starting your games, you should have some things in mind that you want to practice. I think it makes it easier to analyze your game after the match. There’s always gonna be dozens of things you can improve upon, and it doesn’t really take much critical thinking to say after a match “I need to improve execution”, or “I need to play better defense.” I think its easier if you say, for example…

“This match, I’m going to try to focus on reacting to my opponents overheads, whiff punish with sweep, etc etc.”

And then after the match, its easy to see how well you accomplished those things. You just need to start prioritizing the things you want to work on at any given time in your SF training, which is something everyone should be doing anyway.

Also, I think the more specific you can be the better. Like I mentioned earlier, coming out of a match and thinking to yourself “I need to get better at footsies” doesn’t mean much. Everyone needs to get better at footsies. You need to find out the specifics of why you are getting hit.

Lol. Ditto

Why am I so terrible?

“God. Are you there? Why did you give me such a small penis?”

Thanks for replying all, specially Cee Dizzy and pherai. Some of the other replies made me LOL :P.

will i assault someone if he/she would be sitting right next to me?

3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3… What the hell is wrong with me? Why didn’t I just mash that DP?

Winslooooooooooow

Mostly what Cee Dizzy said. Although it also depends largely on how I felt throughout the match and also what my objective was going into the match.

If I was playing against someone that I felt was weak to a particular tactic and I still lost I try to think about whether I was mistaken about them being weak to the tactic I tried or if I just messed up the execution of it. Then I go watch the replay.

If I went into a match with the objective of trying something new and I lost I ask myself if that new thing worked as well as I hoped and if it didn’t, I then ask myself if it didn’t work well because it’s not viable or if it didn’t work because I didn’t execute it properly.

Mostly I find myself watching replays of my losses immediately after losing, and then again the next day to see if I feel any differently about it then.

My main thought after a lost match is always the same: pleaaaaase let me fight him/her again:D Well, although it is the right attitude there will be a high chance of losing again: - /

The way I see it you should reflect on the round even if you win. Look at it this way – if you win, your opponent might be reflecting on the round. If he adapts and you’re not ready, suddenly you are at a disadvantage.

Things I look for when reflecting on a round are specific.

Does he crouch tech?

• If yes, frame traps. If no, tick throws.

Is he good at teching throws?

• This one’s obvious. If yes, throw less. If no, throw more.

Any blatantly punishable bad habits?

• Excessive sweeping, excessive jumping, excessive fireball throwing, etc. Anything that can be punished on reaction.

What gimmicks did I see?

• Empty jump-ins to low attacks? Kara throws? Frame traps?

Is his offensive game better or is his defensive game better?

• This one is also a reflection on yourself. The question really should be… “Does MY offensive game beat his defensive game, OR does MY defensive game beat his offensive game?” Whichever you feel is right is the way you should play. If you feel that you’re outmatched on both levels, my personal preference in that case is to be unpredictable. The following questions help address this one.

How good is his execution?

• Being able to assess this also allows you to determine how many risks you should take. If his execution is not good enough to punish you hard, it’s reasonable to take a few more risks than you might normally.

How good is his spacing?

• If he throws a fireball and then punishes you for jumping over it, if he tags you with normals at just the right range, if he charges Focus right at your sweep range… among others, all indications of good spacing.

What would it look like if I shaved my entire body…?

For me it’s usually…

“Ah well, I guess I lost that one. Let’s go again. This time, I will attempt to learn from my mistakes.”

Something along those lines I guess.