What have you incorporated from playing different FGs

So I read somewhere that one of JWong’s strengths is his experience in multiple games, multiple characters. In a sense, almost every single fighting game have the same concepts (ex: spacing, movement, prediction, innovation…etc etc), it’s just some games/characters emphasis one point more than others. Like, if I only played MvC2 Team Scrub, I can have a strong sense of zoning and keep-away, but my rushdown/mixup game will be ass.

2009 was a great year for fighters, with a lot of newcomers…so I’m just curious how everyone progressed.

MvC2: First serious FG for me. I think everyone that wants to work on zoning/keep away should try playing with Cable/Commando assist/Sentinel drones against MSP. Probably one of the best games to learn the proper way to space with projectiles (if you do an unsafe Viper Beam, you’re done). Also, playing Magneto with Psylocke really helped finger dexterity.

SFIV: Learned absolutely nothing. In fact, probably un-learned the proper way to DP. Trash game.

Blazblue CS: Playing CS really teaches you innovation. The system gives you so much freedom… it’s so versatile. You can find so many ways to reset/mixup, etc etc. You can find your own style instead of copying/pasting nico nico vids.
Also, blocking Bang’s/Ragna’s/Tao’s pressure has really helped me use character ques to help block mix-ups. I mean, when you get hit with an overhead…it’s gonna hurt. A very good game to learn how to reaction block.

Tekken 6: Spacing…god damn, this is one of the best games to learn how to space/move/poke correctly. Basically, making the opponent whiff so you can get the launch. You really improve your twitch reactions when learning how to whiff punish.
It also taught me to really study my opponent’s habits and punish them for it…(I noticed he likes to do a low after doing some two jabs…HOP KICK). And finally, it taught me the importance of not only knowing what your character is capable of, but what your opponent’s character is capable of. It’s more than just watching youtube vids of your bad matchups, you really gotta dissect the properties of their moves (ooohhh, I can sidestep left and punish against this move, but if I sidestep right I get hit). You have to study and know what moves are punishable with what…and considering there are over 40 characters, that is a lot of studying.

Sorry for nitpicking but I think that’s not how they are supposed to be using their overheads. You should be able to block them on reaction every time when you know that the high/low mixup is coming. But a good player should go for a reset when you wait for the mixup, and go for the mixup at the times you don’t expect it so that you won’t even try to react.

Playing ST and A2 make you better at all street fighters.

ps blazblue sucks imo,

vampire savior, it helps improve, uhhh, everything.

We have someone who can block the Magneto unblockable :rofl: and so in every game he plays he pretty much has an iron defense.

I just try to play everything like ST. Except Marvel and Tekken.

I’m one of those newcomers. I’ve played ST in the past but last year is when I started to take FGs seriously.

When I started again, I started with SF4… Man what a mistake that was. That game has taught me nothing. Like you said un-learned the way to DP correctly.

I’ve now moved to different games. Mainly ST, MvC2, A3 and 3S. I’m really loving A3 and 3S. But ATM I’m now trying better my execution before I can get anywhere competitively with those games.

For myself, Street Fighter 4 has been my experiment on how to get into the tournament scene and what it really means to be competitive. I have always loved fighting games and have learned alot playing many different types of fighters. But with 4 I decided to actually look up youtube videos and dissect them. To take NOTES and scour threads for info. To actually understand frame data (I used to fall asleep listening to my friends go " -2 frames this, frame advantage that"). So even though SF4 might not be the best at teaching zoning, execution, and other things very important to fighting games, it is a great launching board for those of us who are just getting their feet wet with tournament play.

Cool thread idea. I was thinking about this recently, and here’s what I came up with:

CVS2: This game definitely taught me to be more patient. When I started playing, I’d take unnecessary risks like jumping and/or rolling too often. In tournament matches, my friends started yelling at me to sit on my ass when I had the lead, and it worked. I realized that when the clock starts getting closer to zero, the lifebars dictate how my opponent will act.

I also learned that it’s crucial to press the opponent when you have the advantage. Once you get that knockdown, you have to get up close and make a decision to either work their guardbar (which, after a while, will also dictate the way they play), go for a crossup, go for some chip damage, or just block and bait their reversal attempt. Positioning is key, and you should never give up an inch if you have them close to the corner. The closer you have the opponent to the corner, the more pressured they will feel to do something risky to get out.

MVC2: When I started playing Marvel seriously, my defense got way better in every game. Pretty much everybody uses Magneto, so I got better at not only blocking quickly, but jumping out to avoid getting mixed up. Marvel also forces you to constantly analyze your situation; you’re keeping an eye on your super meters so you know when you can DHC, you’re watching your assist’s health as well as your own, and if one character gets snapped out, you can’t even call them for a few seconds.

In Marvel, you’re also given the freedom to switch characters if you’re more comfortable with a certain matchup. For example, if you’re playing Sent/Storm/Commando vs MSP, and Sent takes out Magneto, it might be a good idea to tag in Storm and run away for a while since Storm/Psylocke has trouble making a quick comeback. I feel like I’m able to analyze things more quickly in other games as a result.

ST: This game just taught me to play a better ground game. Certain characters have difficult-to-escape throw setups, and I learned that instead of trying to reversal DP and failing and/or getting baited, I need to avoid getting put in those situations altogether.

GG: This game taught me all sorts of things. My execution with combos and timing got much better after I started playing GG. I also learned how important it is to vary your offense. In GG, if you score a knockdown, most characters have a way to keep you blocking for at least a few seconds (except Eddie, who won’t even give you the privelege of attempting to block). In order to do damage, sometimes you have to make the opponent flinch or second-guess themselves. As a result, I learned that it’s a good idea to occasionally insert a gap into my offense to let them jump out or mash on something and counter accordingly.

Same here. Played fighting games almost all my life but really started to get into them this summer.

Started with Street Fighter 4, didn’t help at all. Not that it’s a bad game, I just didn’t grasp fighters at the time and never progressed. Blazblue was better, because I had my fightstick and could execute moves better. Then I got into ST and I really got pretty beast. I could hang with some pretty good players online. Now I can pick up fighters much easier.

i learned to mash in 3rd strike, carried it over to everythign else, now im the best masher

What is the justification on making games more "casual friendly?"

Shoulda learned that in MvC2.

SF4: I learned how to reversal and autocorrect DPs

3s: I learned how to milk the tier list

MBAA: I learned 2A and how to fap to 12 year old vampire lolis

I hope nobody takes away from this that they need to play more games. Very few people are ever good at multiple games, and in my experience, people who try to play multiple games generally are worse at their main game than most others.

Competitive Fighters: How many Figthing games Do you Play Regularly?

very true. mvc2 IMO is the fastest fighting game on the planet. If you can block mvc2, chances are everything else will not be as hard. Blocking ambiguous stuff is much harder. When 1-3 pixels determine left or right block, its not looking pretty.

fast games do everything a slow games does, just faster?:confused: all the concepts are just done @ a fast pace. Chances are if you can master 1 fast game and compete @ a high level, any game should be within your reach.

fast games:

• greatly improves reaction time.
  • greatly improves defense.
  • greatly improves execution.

Faster games generally are mixup heavy so your defense will be buff for that. Also, fast games generally have harder execution so your ability to execute will go up as well.

THE ONE PROBLEM i have with fast games is that you can bank on your mixups a good bit. The mental thought process to break down your opponent is sorta vague in some instances like in mvc2. You can stay safe and just apply safe mixups and if you get you’re hit, they’re done. Its only when you meet an opponent with defense that you have to think about how to hit him. There is a thought process but not its not the same as it is in ST\SF where its sorta constant. I know in ST you can die in 1 hit but those are off specific situations. Like ryu won’t kill you off 1 poke in the opener if its a counter hit c.rh. You still have the option to block after the knockdown. In mvc2, ironman wins the game off 90% of his pokes.

I teach people who want to learn a little bit about vampire savior on ggpo all the time. Now being new in the game IS NOT PRETTY. Its down right ugly! however, I’ve had people come back and tell their defense and reaction time is 10x better after playing VS for 200-300 games.

im not saying fast games are better than slow games, its what I prefer so I used them for examples.

mahvel: learned how to play competitively
cvs2: footsies, comboing into supers, also learned that you can’t always attack a character head on. this is especially true when fighting cammy.
sf4: learned how to use the 2 button throw system
st: fundamentals and execution

I’m probably going to get laughed at for this, but I actually learned most of the fighting game fundamentals from 3rd Strike. Zoning, poking, footsies, blocking, turtling, mind games, crossups, tick throw, baiting, etc. Afterwards I used a lot of this knowledge and applied it to other games with pretty decent success like ST and CvS2(though with CvS2 I’ll have to say I’ve gotten a bit more aggressive). I’ll admit I’m not really a top player of any game, but I will say that dedicating so much time to 3S has helped me get a better grasp of other SF games in general. And for the record, my three main characters are Q, Hugo and Urien, which explains a lot. :stuck_out_tongue:

GG: How to do specials
Melty Blood: How to combo
SFIV: Basic zoneing, crossovers, links, tick throwing, how to use a stick, countering zoning
BB: Mixups, oki, controlling space, blocking correctly (well more otfen anyway :P), blockstrings, being more versitile with moves
TvC: Using assists

I don’t think anything’s mastered but this is where I’ve picked up my basics.

How to block (This really should be mentioned more. It’s amazing how many scrubs/new players suck at blocking/not pressing buttons. Ironic the game that first made this click for me) - Melty
Ground control/Hitconfirm - Jojos (not a joke)
Execution/How to not get hit by reversals 24/7 - KoF
Game that has improved my footsies the most - Alpha 2

How to camp - SF4

lol this is a great thread for me.

SF2: How to do special moves. I learn my basics here.

SF Alpha: I learned frame combos here where you have to input quickly for combos.

SF3: Learned proper zoning and keep back strategies here. I played Chun Li.

SF4: I leaned to play more patiently because of the Revenge system.

CVS2: I actually learned to anti-air better from this game.

KOF Series: I learned here how to jump in a better fashion. Improve my combo skills in this game.

BB: I learned how to use long pokes to keep to opponent off guard. Using your pokes as a barrier

MVC: I learned how to properly rush in a 2-D fighter,

Tekken: I learned more zoning here. I heavily learned punishment here and learned about frame data.
Spacing is a big thing I learned here as well. I learned that it is very important.

I learned how to be defensive/turtle.I learned throw breaks. This is my main fighting game though.
I realize I can punish better even in the 2-D fighter I play. I realize that I need to maximize punishment as well.

VF: I learned heavy execution in this game. I learned how to sidestep better. I learned to whiff punish better as well.

Good replies,

as for playing multiple games…this thread isn’t really advocating everyone to go pick up ST, the Alpha Series, MBAA, etc etc (I myself only main two games), but I also believe that it isn’t good to pigeon-hole oneself into one particular genre of FGs. For example, a lot of SFIV players here hate on Tekken for some strange reason. If they play a real game of Tekken, they’ll find that it teaches the same basic principles to SFIV success (spacing, zoning, knowing distances).

Just a week ago I played some SFIV after quitting for 5 months. After playing Tekken and training myself to look for the tiniest of whiffs to launch punish, I was able to uppercut on reaction c. RH whiffs and whatnot. Hell, I was able to reaction block Ryu’s overhead a good chunk of the time after putting up with all the overhead shenanigans in BB.