What it will take to put Skullgirls on the main stage at EVO next year

I think this game does a fair job of welcoming new players my self. And I don’t remember it being advertised the most technical game around, which would be weird because its not true at all. Not even close.

The game tried to sell itself as having casual-friendly inputs and a robust tutorial. I’m pretty sure the haughty attitude was one of “Oh yeah, we’re totally trying to reel in those casuals.”

That’s why I’m so confused as to what PsychoJosh is talking about.

I have to say the teams I saw being used at EVO are not what I thought they would be other than Painwheel/Peacock. Also I don’t think people get how much assist change a team, but thats another topic.

My question is how many casual players really show up to tournaments?

On Tekken: That game is harder to learn than Skullgirls. Competitively that is. Seriously, I expect a lot of people to drop it quick, especially because I don’t think that many peope are going to practicing the basics on Tekken 6 like they probably should. It will sell well though because Tekken always does. I’m a fan myself.

I know for a fact that Fanatiq is interested in this game. If StriderZero can get him and Knives hooked on the game, it may spread to the FGTV house. Then from there it could spread to the thousands of viewers that house has; if the there’s enough interest, hopefully weekly tournaments like Levelup on the WC and the break on the EC can start doing Skullgirls again; and hopefully that interest can build up to more SG at majors and finally EVO.

A miracle. Skullgirls is a really good game. The brightest person in the room doesn’t always get the job, and the nicest people in the world won’t always get what they ought to get. Paris Hilton is famous even if she has no talent. People buy a half-ass game that felt incomplete called SFxT, and Skullgirls will be a cult classic that will get ignored for literally superficial reasons.

Shout outs to the skullgirls community.

Just saying, sometime’s it’s just to give the rest of the world the finger. I really don’t buy this “it’s a hard game to learn” argument I’d explain, but I’d digress. I think that being really good at this game is definitely something to be proud of. Let’s assume that it’s the case that people don’t like hard games. Having 100 people to play the game is something to be proud of. Being good at a game with no BS mechanics is something to be proud of.

I don’t agree with all of Josh’s ideas, but I agree with this one. What casuals want is fun, not depth. SG offers a lot of fun, but you need to go through an extended learning period before you can start having it. To a casual player, it’s simply a matter of deciding whether you want to pick up a shooter or party game and start having fun immediately, or if you want to pick up a fighting game and spend three to six weeks learning it so that maybe you will have fun with it when the training period is over.

That’s why I think casuals are a lost cause. At best you can try to lure them in with nice graphics, funny references and cool animation. It’s much more realistic to try and get more FG players to pick it up. That’ll take a while, though. SG is a new game with new IP. FG players hate having to learn new games when they already know how to play older ones.

I guess what I’m saying here is that there is no easy way to grow the SG community. We just have to continue supporting it where we can and hopefully Reverge will continue to update it. Hopefully it’ll get released in Japan and make a splash there. I think having SG in EVO 2013 is very possible depending on how things play out.

This sort of thing can honestly help a lot. It would mean more coverage.
What needs to be done is more people need to produce content. And everybody who can’t record or stream something needs to just keep playing like they have been. If people see players having fun they may want to join in.

Also once I noticed it was said that SG should have been a smash style game I thought this thread might be getting trolled.

male fighters for a start.

I’m sorry, but I played my first COD (Black Ops) about a year ago since I got it for free, with almost no prior experience with shooters. I was the lowest scoring member of the team almost every match, with a kill to death count of something like 3 to 6 on average. And this persisted for like… I dunno, a long damn time over a course of weeks, covering at least 40 hours minimum of gameplay. And I came out of that experience, with an average ratio of like… 5 to 4. In other words, I still sucked.

Actually that wasn’t even the point I was trying to make. Man I’m tired. Basically, when I first started playing I played through most of story mode thinking it’ll get me more acquainted with the actual shooter gameplay. I killed practically nobody in a few online matches that followed and died a lot, so I went to practice how to aim better, went to learn the characteristics of the guns available to me, and then went back to online and continued to suck for some time.

Point being, this is no different than getting demolished online or by a CPU, going to training mode and getting more familiar with your character, and then going back online to get crushed.

If people have this magic formula for what constitutes “immediate fun” when you don’t know how to play something that does possess some level of depth, you better spell it out here. Because I’m not seeing it.

I don’t disagree, but this sentiment has always confused me. Why do people care what gender the character is? I’m sure dudes played games like tomb raider, blood rayne, whatever other games that force a female main character. In other fighting games there’s plenty of people who are happy to choose the female members of the cast, but with skullgirls it does get brought up a lot as a reason for not relating to the characters.

This an important point I think. Casuals are not what needs to be discussed. There is no way an indie fighting game what a very small marketing budget could have gotten waves of casuals to come in and play. That could never have been part of the equation.

The good news is that that also probably isn’t so important for what we want to happen. Casuals don’t go to tournaments. They do not want to compete and they often stop playing any game after a while. The only lesser skilled players that matter here are new tournament players, who are only going to keep improving anyway. Don’t get me wrong though of course some casual do convert when they like a game enough and more sales would have helped. I just don’t think its the end of the world though

There is a big difference between a casual player and a new competitive player. People don’t always see that, and when they don’t we get ridiculous ideas like x-factor.

Or at least that’s my theory

I’m definitely not talking about anime fighter players. If GG, BB, AH players aren’t already playing SG, they’re aren’t even giving this game a chance. I had the SF / MvC / KoF / MK players in mind.

I doubt Skullgirls can make it to EVO anytime soon, mostly because there are so many big new games that will be releasing before next evo, tekken tag tournament 2, persona 4, dead or alive 5, injustice, probably a super sfxt, together with all the games already out that did well last EVO, that it’s doubtful they can fit a low profile game like skullgirls. I think that the fighting genre is at a point that only one EVO per year doesn’t fit all the good fighters available, the only option for skullgirls is that they split EVO in several events.

Well the casual aids ebola known as P4 is seeing a ton of cashies going crazy over it.

So apparently what Skullgirls had to do to get the casuals was first make an RPG with a really shallow and dry dating sim aspect thrown in, and then release the fighting game afterward.

2 years from now, we’re in there.

By the way, I like the term cashies because it sounds like if you cut the second half off “casual” and add the “ies”, and because it also sounds like cash-ies, meaning those are the people that produce most of your cash.

you actually can aim at casuals if they really dig art or characters or whatnot but you’ll have to take them by the hand and teach them everything. It’s hard but on the other hand there’s probability that you’ll lure new person in the FGC who will be loyal to the SG and probably won’t drop it for other francise (s)he is more familiar with. Although this way won’t net huge numbers of course.

I am sitting in a dorm in a nondescript college hanging out with a some friends. A buddy says, “hey let’s play some skullgirls dude.” The girls in the room snicker and some of the guys start dogging on me and a buddy.

I am sitting in a dorm in a nondescript college hanging out with some friends . A buddy says, “Hey, let’s play some Street Fighter dude.” The name already has recognition in most every one’s mind and most of the characters are iconic. It also sounds like a game were people are going to fight and get hurt, not like some pussified hipsterized sounding game where who knows what kind of perverted things are going on.

This never actually happened to me, but a friend told me this story. It happened to him but only it was Arcana Heart. These all girl games are weird to most people.

Also, the game looks like one of those flash games you’d find on bored.com or something.

I’d be surprised if it ever hit the main stage at EVO. Look at the other games that came out and are coming out. VF5:FS, DOA5, TTT2, Persona4 Arena and what about the new JOJO games, will they be out in time for EVO2013?
AE and Marvel are pretty much guaranteed to be included, that leaves, what 3 maybe 4 spots left? 4 is not a lot of games. Especially when you factor other games in like MK9, KoF and SC5 possibly making returns. There are better games to put on the main stage instead of Skullgirls.

I’m just gonna say I disagree with pretty much everything you said so far, Josh. Creating a game around bringing in casual players is an extremely superficial move that involves dropping the quality of the game itself. It wouldn’t fix anything. It would make it a generic fighter without a memorable experience. SFxT is an example of this. Quality over quantity. You can play this game casually too. No reason why you wouldn’t be able to. It’s not difficult execution-wise, normals are chain cancelled, supers are simple. Nothing is stopping anyone from playing this game at a casual level with a group of friends. KoF is the most intimidating fighter to play at the moment, and that got 1000 people (even if some of them were shirt monsters). So I don’t think the casual argument is a valid one.

Anywho… this whole thread is kind of getting derailed. This was supposed to be about what we as a community would do. Not personal assessments on what we think the game should be. This’ll probably be my last reply to Mr. Josh, because I firmly believe there isn’t a conversation to be had there x.x .

Oh, and also, things get done when people stop worrying about what others think of them for playing a game featuring all girls and get back to playing to show them how deep and fun the game is.

what is the first thing you do when you pick up a new Fighter? you look for a character. as subtle as it seems, most use the most visual appealing one first. You identity with a character - even if it’s just subconsciously. Character loyalty is a huge influence in both, fun and if you stick with the game. Playing a character and making him work makes you another player then simply using the best character. Taste is different, and while I do not have anything against female characters, I first pick characters that I find appealing; the playstyle comes later. For me it’s most likely the non-grappler brawler type of guy (Paul in Tekken, Cody in SFA+4) because I can identify the most with them and find them therefore subconsciously most appealing. Otherwise it’s a game by game case (Chipp in GG, Gen in Vanilla).

I find the roster of SG simply unappealing. It could only feature animals and I would find it just as unappealing. Doesn’t even matter if it’s a good game or not.

TL;DR SG with 4/4 male/female ratio would have been more successful.