What separates the men from the boys in this game?

After you get the combo’s down for your main character (which is pretty easy if you put enough time into training)?
Im not sure what I should improve upon because i can do a good amount of the good combos for my character in match but I dont win very many matches online.

For one, not making the compromise to just do a “good amount” of the good combos, but learning everything.

Those who win, and those who lose. :slight_smile:

Online is crap unless you play with people with really really good connections. Other than that if you are talking about SF4, the game isn’ really about doing awesome combos, and more about strategy, mind games, controlling space, and footsies. There are many good articles on the subject. Stop trying to hit good combos and hit them.

I’m just going to put down a bunch of random shit in no particular order.

• Having a game plan the single most important thing. Some people have no plan other than to land combos. Landing combos is great and all, but how are you going to get in and do them? What are you trying to accomplish with your character? How can that character do what they need to do in all the match ups? Remember: “fuck it, shoryuken!” is not a game plan.

• The corollary to this is being able to identify issues in your game plan and correct them. If something is giving you a problem, what are you going to do about it? Naturally, it helps to bounce these questions off other people, good players are able to self diagnose a lot of their own issues. Great players are able to do this mid match, under pressure.

• Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of their play style. Being able to choose characters that complement their play style. The problem is, a lot of people aren’t honest with themselves on these ones.

• You say you know a “decent” amount of good combos for your character. That’s a start I guess, but you need to know when to apply them. There are many combos in fighting games that are situational better or worse than others. Knowing when to use which is key. And how consistent are you really? Missing damage opportunities can drastically affect the outcome of a match.

• Meter management. How much meter do you need–minimum–to execute your game plan? What do you do to get it? How does your game plan change after you have it? Does it at all? What options change when you have ultra/super? Is using your whole bar in a combo even worth it? Furthermore, can you apply all these questions to your opponent’s meter mid-match? IE, you are playing against character A, what options do they have at 1 bar? 2? 3 and ultra? What should you be looking out for?

• Positioning. In Street Fighter, there are a lot of tiny positional differences that most players don’t notice, but in fact have a huge impact in the flow of the match. Do you know what positioning is ideal for your character? Do you know where the other characters want to be? Do you know how to keep yourself in good position and keep the other player out of good positioning? What about against a player that is fighting you for subtle differences in ground?

• Knowledge of match ups. Many match ups are played wildly different from others, even if you are using the same character. Things are safe against some characters are not against others. A high end player knows the options that each character has in different match ups and–more to the point–how to shut down their opponent’s options. The more experienced a person is, the less they say “really? I didn’t know that.”

• Mind games/reading players. This has been one of the hardest things for players to write about since people have been talking about Street Fighter online. This is also perhaps the most interesting thing about the genre. I’m frankly not the most qualified person to be writing the ins and outs of this; this is something you’ll start perceive as you develop yourself as a player.

• Putting all of this together on the fly. Those ideas are all well and good, but being able to have the situational awareness mid-match to think: “Ok, I’m character A, he’s character B. I have about half life, 3 bars, and a barely charged ultra. He has 40% life, 1 bar, and ultra. 35 seconds remaining in round 3. I’m 1/3 screen away from the corner and knocked down. He’s two character lengths away from me. I have these options, he has those options. We’ve played each other 5 or 6 times over the course of the day and he tends to do xxx in these situations, but he also knows I tend to do yyy. If I do this and it works, I’ll end up in the situation to do either A or B on reaction to his response, both of which are good options for me and bad ones for him. But if it doesn’t work, I still have that as an escape route,”

…well, noobs don’t really think like that. The advanced player is able to instinctively size up situations like this, on the fly, when the situation changes. Over, and over again.

That was a perfect post, Starcade RIP. I give you props.

Yep. Anyone can learn combos. Being able to fadc ultra or land a 1 frame link doesn’t make you good. The only way to get good is to play against good players. There are no good players online. They all suck. Winning online makes you worse. Losing online means nothing. Its a lose-lose situation when you only play online. If there are no good players in your area, you can facebook >.< I did that and I did find a pretty decent Chun and Rufus that I play against maybe once per week for practice. Otherwise, keep fishing in championship mode until you find someone you consider good. Send some tells and hope to start player match sessions from time to time.

Random online matches are worthless because you play 1, 3 round set with dozens of different people. That means, you can literally do the same thing in every match and it can potentially work for you. That creates bad habits and bad rhythms and patterns in your play game. When you play match sessions, after the first round, they will get the idea of what you are doing and start switching up tactics on you which forces you to do the same. This way, you get a better feel for the game, you learn how to think faster, and how to adapt your gameplay on the fly. There really is no need to adapt or change your tactics when you play randoms over and over, but if you do the samething over and over against the same person, they will beat you over and over until you figure out how to stop losing.

“B.M”… “Bar Management”

time, heath,super, ultra… These are the 4 bars.

Keep track of them… all-ways be aware of your bars and that of your opponents.

This VITAL.

IBBL…:coffee:

perfectly well said. this should be read by all in Newbie Saikyo :party:

Those who taunt after a dizzy.

I am a complete sod for this XD.

@Starcade RIP

words of wisdom man, preach brother preach!