What the F@# is that?!

Hi guys,
I just got my TE stick today, so I decided to crack open my crappy Powerwave stick. My plans were to build a new stick with the existing PCB. After opening it, I’m confused like shit… I’ve read heaps of threads in modding sticks etc but don’t wtf some things are.

Just opened | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

WTF is that?! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Now my problem is, wtf is the motor thingy doing there? Do I need this if I just want to use this PCB and change buttons and joystick? Also, another really noobie question but I know once I get sanwa buttons that I will have to solder the wires onto the PCB. But when I opened this crappy stick, none of the buttons are soldered on! It’s a like a press/touch mecahnic (is this even normal?)

Once again, sorry guys but I’m stuck and need some help from you experienced modders out there!

Thanks

I’m guessing it’s for rumble.

It would be kinda cool if you could stick that in a custom and allow for rumble.

Many cheap sticks like that use the same mechanic that standard controllers do for the buttons (which is what is shown). As for the motor, it’s for rumble, but you can cut it off if you don’t want to have it, it won’t hurt anything.

LOL, i feel so dumb now! Never thought about the rumble cause i usually turn it off! Anyways, so does that I mean I can just solder new buttons onto that existing PCB?

Is it common ground? Gonna be hell to mod is it isn’t (although from the looks of it, it seems that at least the switches for the stick are).

Also, as I previously stated, keep the motor for the rumble just for shits and giggles. Heck, I want to see that done so much that I’ll do art for the custom for free.

lol sorry, what does common ground mean??

I can’t see in the pictures, but you can solder the Buttons to the PCB.
Just scrape off the black stuff of where the Buttons were.
It would reveal copper stuff underneath.
Then solder to that.

lol sorry, what does common ground mean??

I can’t see in the pictures, but you can solder the Buttons to the PCB.
Just scrape off the black stuff of where the Buttons were.
It would reveal copper stuff underneath.
Then solder to that.

It means you only have to use one ground wire for all the buttons. The stick seems to indicate that it is (at least for the stick) since from what I see, it’s only 5 wires connecting to the stick - one ground wire and 4 signal wires for the microswitches.

Yeah, it looks like it’s in the same family as the Ikan I used to make my Franken Fran stick with. It’s common ground alright.

Careful with those cords. The one I’ve been using wore down on the inside and started to melt the coating when it began to cross.

lmao at doubles

So I just solder the buttons unto where the buttons were originally hitting? Solder onto the copper part?

Yes.

Thanks guys for all the quick responses, lol if I ever complete this lil project I’ll post to show.

lol im gonna take u up on that i think :wink:

I hope you understood what I typed.

if your board is not common ground you might prefer to purchase a sanwa JLF-TM instead of a JLF-TP it ll make things easier, but there are solutions for the JLF-TP with a little modding if you wan’t this one anyway.

Other than that common ground or not common ground as far as the buttons are concerned just means more soldering, no big deal imho.

In time you may wan’t to make sure that PCB your hacking is worth a damn, i entered this world by padhacking a cheap thrustmaster pad, lets put it simply, I have the feeling the firmware isn’t exactly state of the art when it comes to get low and steady input dealy.

Stick looks common ground. You can clearly see only 5 wires for it with one daisy chained to all the switches.

d3v, so your positive it’s common ground yeah? Just another quick noob question, I was goin to put in a order form etokki for;

1. Paewang Joytron stick
  2. JLF-TP-8Y-SK
  3. OBSF30 buttons
  4. JLF Mounting brackets (Do i need this?)
  • Do I need to buy cable harness or any cables for that matter? (or can I use the cables with the original stick?)

I plan on switching the stick to all sanwa, so will I need anymore things? I read the thread regarding this already but just want to be sure (and you have been so nice answering all my dumb ass questions so far :wink: )
Also, if you can post whatever other things I will need to complete a small project like this.