When did you start competing?

I’ve been doing some thinking about what I intend to accomplish by playing fighting games so copiously. And although I do it mostly because it’s fun, I can’t help but feel like it’d be a total waste just stopping at becoming a decent Online Warrior in the fighters I play. I want to eventually compete at local events, and I want to eventually be able to hold my own, if only marginally, at EVO at some point. Though, being that I’m still trying to iron out some very bad habits and I’m hardly competent even in an Online environment, I’d like to know when you guys decided it was time to take your skill to the streets.

right away! its much better practice than online anyway.

Been playing 3 yrs
Offline/Locals for 2 yrs.
If you have access to offline comp, then go straight to that. You’ll become a much better player in a faster rate than you would grinding online.
If you have an event space/arcade/gathering spot: Support the place! Buy accessories from them, help out when you can, come out to events [Regardless of games being played or whatever], even buying a drink/candy/ etc. from their vending machines is showing your support.

When I get the funds to do that, I definitely will! I guess I’m just totally nervous toward the prospect of going to any scene when I feel my skill is so subpar. But, if it can help me improve, I guess I could take a few ass beatings. Not to mention that I live in NY. There has to be some shit going on here.

Thanks!

Start going to local sessions as soon as possible. There’s no requirement for being a “tournament player” other than showing up. Regardless of your skill level, you’ll definitely learn something whenever you meet up with the locals, along with the added benefit that you’ll find a place where people are willing to show you your weaknesses and help you figure out how to overcome them.

if you’re afraid of losing, all the more reason to go out and lose a million times against good players. fear of losing is toxic to a competitive player, and the only way to get over it is play a shit load.

ill admit it started slowly as my love for fighting games grew more and more. I just eventually become competitive. its the only competitive thing I can do AND have fun!

Online: june 2010.
Offline: Final Round 15, 2013 :open_mouth:

as soon as i found out my local tournament

What was that experience like?

http://shinob-e.smugmug.com/Tournaments/Final-Round

Just go out and play/meet people.
I’m writing a short followup article on two guys who went to their first tournament at ECT, but I’ve been sick all week. I will say this though, if your first tournament is a major try to stock up on vitamin C.

imo waiting for a major to play offline is lame anyway, why wait?

So is there any outlet for begginers in these environments?

Of course. Not every scene is accepting of beginners or does a good job bringing them in, but most are. The scenes who actually care about the community are great for beginners. It’s very common in my area (and we definitely focus on doing this) for us to see a new player and approach them asking if they want advice. We’ll invite them to meetups or sit down with them at a station to teach them things that they should or could be doing. Note that EVERY scene has bad apples who don’t care about anyone but themselves. You just have to ignore those people. Find the people who WILL help you. Local meetups are invaluable. As long as you have a good attitude and an open mind, everyone has the ability to get much better.

You are FAR more likely to get rage mail online than you will get those same words in person, even if you’re playing the same person and they feel the exact same way. Also, I’m sure many of us have built amazing friendships with fellow gamers from the FGC. Honestly I feel like I can go to pretty much any major city in any direction 5-10 hours from where I live and have a place to crash if I ever needed it because the FGC is awesome.

I think as soon as you figure out a game you want to really focus on, you should start attending locals. Not that I’ve been to too many, but I’ve never found them unwelcoming to new players. Last time I went I was getting some great advice on ST.

I live in SoCal and I’m pretty lucky that my area contains a local scene, a major and super arcade, but I’m unable to travel due to being a student(computer engineering major) and financial difficulty, however I get utterly thrashed online so going out to venues where there is a possibility of not getting help is daunting, but I do plan in going to Evo 2015 since it is the reason I got into fighting games in the first place.

I have not been to many local gatherings…but when I was able to go, there is always someone there to help me if I ask.

Every Evo I’ve went to…I’ve gotten advice on improving my playstyle, and learned by observing pool play.

If I lived in SoCal and really want to step my game up…I would at least try to make it to their weekly gatherings.

it sounds like you just need to meet other people who play. SA has a very friendly atmosphere. and being a student is the best time to play fighting games! just remember everyone that you see playing offline started where you are.

Honestly, nobody’s really like that at Super Arcade. Most of the regs there are happy to help you out as long as you ask. Just show up, be nice, shower and wear deodorant before you come, and you’ll be fine.

Evo 2015? That’s a pretty long-term goal. Why not Evo 2013? Even if you don’t join the regular tournament, you can still get to experience the vibe of what it’s like being in a giant ballroom filled with people that love the game as much as you do. Not to mention the experience you’ll get playing casuals against people all over the world. Not to mention the alcohol.

Why 2015? Lol I’m trying to get to find work and save up for my car, custom built computer/gaming laptop, arcade stick.(importance by order) & it is kind I hard to do consistent training in the lab as a full time comp. Engineering major :(. So yeah it is pretty realistic, I have pretty much accepted the fact that I will be free for 2-3 years editor I see any improvement.