When do you use bar?

Hey Guys. This question is for ssf4 but can be applied to any fighting game i guess.

When do you guys use bar?

For me, I randomly use ex moves to get through fireball most of the time. My main concern is if I should save it for later when I’m really in trouble (such as being trapped in the corner) or using it when I see combo opportunities.

Also, how much bar should I have at all times? For example, should i always have at least two bars so I could FADC later?

BTW, I main Balrog (Boxer). Thanks in advance!

use it when it’s most beneficial to use it (with balrog…thats almost never), dont levy over using it purely for offensive or defensive purposes, its there to help you

personally i almost never use meter with rog, his super is amazing, rush upper loops are good for stun but apart from that its not really nessecary. fadc with rog is pretty iffy because its pretty easy to react to, i only use it to back off if you catch yourself doing a stupid dash punch

as for using it defensively, your best option with rog is to not get in a situation where you’d need to use meter to escape danger. that and blocking rules

as for how much bar you should have at all times: as much as you can possibly build. i usually have super at least by the end of the 1st round most games i play

I don’t think you can really apply any general rules, its just a judgment call you have to make. It’s kind of like if you have an opportunity to get a super cleanly, but you have very little life, and your opponent has a lot, is it worth trying to get the comeback at the risk of still losing the round and having no meter next round? There is no definitive answer.

How you should use your bar depends a lot by the situation you’re facing at the moment.

For example: I, as an Akuma player use the bar for cancelling after cr.mp, cr.mp, hado for going into a s.hp, lk tatsu, hp shoryu (and with full bar into lp shakunetsu, but it depends if the opponet is near stun…otherwise I prefer keeping my bar for something else.). Or for a EX tatsu if opponent has really low life and I want to close the round/match instantly.

I’m not a Boxer expert but you can use it for really a lot of situation, ex: rog’s loop, or for breaking a fireball when you’re at close distance, you can charge your super…it really is up to you, there’s no rules/hints on how to use your bar.

How you should use your bar depends a lot by the situation you’re facing at the moment.

For example: I, as an Akuma player use the bar for cancelling after cr.mp, cr.mp, hado for going into a s.hp, lk tatsu, hp shoryu (and with full bar into lp shakunetsu, but it depends if the opponet is near stun…otherwise I prefer keeping my bar for something else.). Or for a EX tatsu if opponent has really low life and I want to close the round/match instantly.

I’m not a Boxer expert but you can use it for really a lot of situation, ex: rog’s loop, or for breaking a fireball when you’re at close distance, you can charge your super…it really is up to you, there’s no rules/hints on how to use your bar.

You definitely shouldn’t be throwing out random ex rush punches. They can be thrown on reaction.