When exactly do you rc your sb's?

I posted this a week ago in the guile forums, but still no response. apperantly the character specific forums are dead. Forgive me for posting it again but id like some feedback::

Ive been practing with guile for a while now and im at the point where i can rc boom pretty much everytime. Now i need to learn how to maxamize its usefulness.

Besides anti air ( which i usually dont do anyways because i feel guile has better options)
when should i be rcing the sb? Doesnt make a whole bunch of sense to rc it from full screen while playing the normal guile keep out games. Besides knowing when to rc it, id like to know WHY to rc it. What makes it so useful in that particular situation. I guess im asking for you to give specific reasoning and not just “rc boom owns man”. Do you rc it at certain distances? Do you rc it EVERYTIME you throw a sb? Do you only rc it when you think the opponant is going to stick a poke out? Specifics, please…

I play guile agressively defensive. Throwing sb’s from safe distances, varying the speeds, and following up with different things and sometimes following with nothing at all to counter whatever my opponant sticks out. So how can rc boom really improve my game?

it’s like a safe dp i guess. use it to interrupt gc attempts and when you are in close since against most characters it’s pretty free. if they jump aa, if they block follow up with one of guile’s many long ranged pokes to keep them out. just don’t get crazy vs characters with fast jumps or rolls or you’ll eat a lot of damage for no reason.

Are you meaning close like inside c.mk range? Thunderlips mainly rc’s his sb’s when there just outside c. mk range. More times than not, they dont expect it so close and they block. Allowing you to go into a blockstring.

wake up rc sb is a great way to swing the momentum for you. When they don’t expect it, wake up rc sb forces them to block it, and since you’re at an advantage after blocked sb, you can start doing poke strings to push them out…

ie, wake up sb, cr.lp x2, st.mp xx sb or whatever block string you usually use.

rc sb is a pretty good anti-poking move too. it’s good in general since it’s safe 90% of the time.

Acually if i remember correctly your even on frames after a blocked sb. Doesnt make your point any less valid, just clearing up any misinformation.

Frame advantage depends on how long it travels.

i think thunderlips means that you are even at point blank if it is blocked, and i think he is right.

don’t wake up rc boom, idiots. That’ll get you what… about 500 in damage IF you guess right, and a normal throw that’ll EASILY counter it with roughly three times the damage. Your win/lose ratio is really great.

I wouldn’t do it, let alone telling someone to do so as a freakin advice, unless I’m winning by 2 characters and just wanna mess with their minds.

I’m gonna go to Bison forums and give people the golden tip of the day. “Wake up rc paint. It gets them when they don’t expect it!”

The beauty of american sf mindset, huh

i don’t necessarily agree with what laugh says 100%. wake up boom does work in certain situations, like vs a blanka trying to chip you with rc elec or something and you can’t do anything else. but generally speaking, wake up rc boom is not worth the risk.

Not even worth it vs. Blanka.

Blanka elec. does roughly 1240 damage iirc.
Sonic Boom does like 500 - 600.

Never worth it.

I agree with laugh 1bijillion percent. Arrggggg thats alot of percents.

Ok , since we’ve established that wake up sb isnt exactly a gamebreaker. Anyone have any opinions on when we Should rc them?

That’s why Guile has a longass roll. But that also get’s countered by grabs, so pick your choice. It’s never completely safe to do <insert move> when YOU are the one waking up. That’s the whole point of knocking someone down.

I’d say rc sb whenever you feel sexy. (I.E.)The opponent likes to small jump, then then feel out their small jump and rc sb. If you could flash kick small jumps easily, I’d tell you do go for it, but flash kick comes out rather slow for this. Plus, as a rule of thumb, don’t rc boom if you could use your normals for the same purpose. Cutting out small jumps can be done with preemptive stand strong and hover kick most of the times.

I rc boom when they jump at me, since I don’t wanna trade hits with them by going with the low fierce. Plus, as an antiair, I can link a jab or two after they land and get hit by the rc boom MOST of the time. You know what that COULD mean. Also, I’m taking a risk of fucking up the rc and getting hit with a fat combo. I happen to rc real good, so it works for me. It’s all about training the other guy to think in a certain way and constantly breaking that mold that you’ve created, next time they jump at you and try to JD/Parry your rc boom, just jump RH him instead (NOT against C groove. I don’t need to state these obvious things. Spoon-feeding tactics is bad for the brain) or air grab.

If the other dude rc’s a lot, say…ken funky kicks. Throw one in from a distance where you won’t get hit by it. He’s going to think again about spamming it.

“Just fiddle with shit yourself” is the best advice for getting better with X move.

you RC them inside the other characters footsie distance…duh, when the hell else would you?

It doesnt sound like rc sb is very important at all. Where would you say it is in his overall game?

Oh no, don’t misunderstand…RC sonic boom is so annoyingly important…

So many Guile whores now…

When a guy has a move that is safe after his opponent JD’s it right next to him…that is the gay sauce. Natural fast recovery, and invicible startup…uber gay sauce.

imagine kens funky kick with more applications and harder to do

RC boom after blocked cr. hp…everyones gonna fall for it even after i post this…

Oooh that’s a good one. So the only way to avoid the block damage is to roll with iori/kim/athena in heavy anticipation, or pre-emptively walking towards Guile in hopes of throwing him while he’s trying to RC the SB? That’s all I could think of, and those solutions require knowledge beforehand that your opponent was going specifically for this setup…i like, i like

Sak-lk RC hurricane
Blanka-RC hop or any ball
todo-RC wave…DUH
Iori-RC recca,or roll
honda-TRade with headbut or handslap

thats what helps with my team

it worked for daigo against amir on the evo 2k3 DVD. amir did a RC psycho crusher, and daigo’s RC boom won b/c he did it after amir.

is that where you saw it at? just wondering.