When it's arcade only

When some people in Japan, or anywhere really, only play their game in arcades, how do they learn oh wto do combos or other really technical tricks? Anything that other people would use training mode to practice, how do they figure it out? I was wondering this while practicing new stuff for Cody and realized I don’t know how I would be able to do anything without being able to practice it first in training mode.

A lot of observing, and trying stuff out in a match. They skip practice and just throw themselves right into a situation. If it doesn’t work, then they know they need to try something different next time.

they play against the other players in the arcade and try things out in matches. then if the game comes out on console they might possibly buy it and use the training mode.

that’s my guess at least.

I heard about something like they can ask the arcade operator to turn it onto training or something for a certain amount of time by paying a fee up front. Like they would get 30 mins to mess around. But I only heard that second hand somewhere on these forums.

play a lot + maybe do bootleg training mode with a co-operative second player if something is really hard to figure out

If you play different games at arcades you should already be able to execute.

You learn timing by watching other players do it and memorizing.

I know some games don’t even have console ports of the most recent editon like VF5R. I see videos of people knowing all the advanced stuff with the new characters in that version. It really amazes me how they can do all that just by experimenting in the middle of matches.

It’s not that bad. You try stuff and if it works you try it again til you get it down pat.

Certainly having training mode is convenient but arguably if you’re learning to do stuff in matches, you’ll actually be better at pulling them off under pressure.

you don’t really need training mode when there competition everywhere in japan to train you.

I would imagine that they do a lot of watching the other players play and a lot of strategy/theory talk with other players. You just play a lot and try and absorb as much as possible from the short (compared to training mode at home) time you spend on it.

I think you also need to be willing to do a certain amount of “experimentation” from time to time, with the understanding that it may not be the best play-to-win choice at that time; against a stronger player this means that you risk losing your turn (and coins) in order to try and learn some things or get in some experience or info or intel or knowledge or research or whatever. (Maj and Sirlin have both written good pieces about this.)
An extension of this is that I’ve heard that some OG players, when facing a less-skilled opponent and winning the first round, would use the whole second round just trying out new stuff or practice old stuff, fully confident that they would win the third round should it arise.

It’s also not unheard of for very serious players to show up at unpopular times of day when the arcade is slow and practice their execution and tricks and whatnot stuff on the computer like it’s a moving training dummy. Also this:

Every method of learning can have its advantages and disadvantages (ie. is more likely to foster certain strengths and certain weaknesses in a player), but this idea of always-trial-by-fire training tends to help cut bad habits out of your play, clean up your game, ditch suboptimal tactics, minimize/eliminate mistakes, and polish your feel for tactical appraisal and application.

Just as a fun note, some newer fighting games have training modes built into their arcade versions. I believe the Arcana Heart series did this, for example. You would pay for your normal turn and if there were no opponents you could choose training mode instead of single players against the CPU. It would give you a few minutes to do whatever you want; the arcade operators could modify the duration in the config menu. Or something like that. If another player hopped on the cabinet, I think it would just go to versus normally and your training time would be cut short. In terms of arcade etiquette, it was considered rude to interrupt someone else’s training mode turn, but it was also considered rude to USE training mode when other people were waiting to play. Loopy!

How does it amaze you?
That’s really the only real way to learn how to play the game is to practice during real matches. Training mode can only get you so far…

Just by playing. If you see someone do something, you have to just adjust yourself and force yourself to maybe lose some casual matches to try stuff. Also, you can just play the computer. I was able to learn blazblue combos with Noel when it was arcade only by just beating people until they stopped playing me, then beating the game and trying stuff against the computer. Even later in the game, I would use the one match I get against Tager to practice the tager-only combo timing, etc.

Training mode makes it easy to learn your combo yeah, but it’s not impossible without it. The more you play and the more you understand your character, the easier it gets as well.

From my experience, it’s exactly as HeartNana says plus watching match videos and reading strategies and combos on the internet to have a general idea on what to do. The first part is hard to do when there’s only one cab for the game that’s always full with people much better than you though =/

Either play against the CPU during off hours, playing against a friend, or just getting thrown into the middle of it. The first time I played SF 4 was back when CTF got it, and C. Viper was the first character I tried… it’s pretty safe to say I got my ass handed to me, but you still do end up learning things.

This input is, being put lightly, very enlightening. Not just answering a question I have out of curiosity, but really demonstrating different ways to level up your game, sort of speak. Actually very useful stuff, now that I think of it, learning things from actual experience instead of just from forums and training mode makes alot of sense.

They play all the damn time

Probably look stuff up online aswell

BlazBlue Continuum Shift actually has a sort of training mode. You get to play against a CPU difficulty of your choice, for like 10 minutes or so, and by taunt you can get your super bar filled. It’s pretty neat. I guess it’s more necessary with a game like that where you really need insane combos. Besides that I guess japanese players also actually play ‘training mode’ against each other every now and then to try out new stuff.

just learning from others and practicing solo play against the cpu in off hours like 3:00 o’clock back in mexico when everybody was at home eating or some place else

sigh those were the days