When will Windows XP become defunct?

The other day, I bought Battlefield 3 on Origin for $5.00 only to discover that the game won’t play on Windows XP at all because it has no DX9; only DX10 and 11. I wouldn’t have even thought to check the minimum OS requirements because I’ve played numerous games released in the last 1 or 2 years that worked on XP. There are only two other games I know of that don’t support it: Halo 2 and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. But from what I understand, both of them have workarounds to make them run on XP.

The point is: how long will it be until it becomes ordinary for newly released games to not run on XP? Upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 would mean proceeding with an overdue new computer build because my current one is 6 years old. But I’ve been out of work for 5 years and don’t feel like spending a lot. How much longer can I beat the dying horse?

Officially, you have less than a year since MS will cut off support for it in April of next year.

Better question is how well will your hardware hold up? If you are buying the latestest games on a 6 year old rig… You have either upgraded some of the parts like the gpu most importantly… Or you have just lowered your graphics level over time…

I have a 5 year old CPU… But with a gtx 570 gpu and the right parts it runs everything great…

It’s not a big stretch to run a computer with win 7 or 8… Ram will be key though… With xp, you only needed 2 gigs for most… With 7 or 8 you are gonna want 4-8 gigs. 8 is optimal with plenty of overhead. Any more than that presently is a waste.

So look into if you can run the new os… Win 7 is pretty quick and I am happy I went with 8 even with older but fast hardware

Unofficially, at least since the release of Windows 7. XP was a great OS in its day, but that day passed a long time ago.

To the OP: list your computer specs. I’d be surprised if it couldn’t run 7.

I’m in a similar boat, too, but I have fast CPU’s (64-bit, 2.6GHz) for their time and the machine runs high-def video fairly well. No issues with emulation, either. Stock RAM capacity is 4GB for Windows XP 32-bit but doubles to 8GB with the 64-bit OS’s like Windows Vista, 7, and 8.

I’d got the Windows 7 route given all the horror stories about overly huge performance and RAM requirements for both Windows Vista and Windows 8…

I currently have Windows 8 on all 3 of my machines. The machines are around 3-4 years old now, with 2 of them configured with 8GB of RAM. For the record, Windows 8 boots faster than 7 did, and in my experience, memory use is better.

I will say that if you UPGRADE to Windows 8, all kinds of weird things are possible. I had several problems after upgrading, but once I backed up all my data, did a CLEAN install, and restored all my stuff, that one machine that I upgraded first has been running like a champ! Yeah, it took a while to restore my personal files and restore all of the games/apps, but it was well worth it! I subsequently did clean installs on the other two.

I was one of those who criticized Win8 when it came out, but decided to take advantage of a MS gift card via work, combined with the launch discount, to upgrade one machine. I came to like it so much that I ended up upgrading all 3. Sure, there are a few things I’d like to change, but MS has apparently listened, and it looks like Blue will address my minor annoyances. :slight_smile:

Become? You mean people still use it? Get 8! It’s pretty rad.

Honestly XP became defunct when the OS can’t run current hardware at it’s full capacity.
Install XP on modern PC, the OS can only see 3.5 GB of the ram you have installed.
A maximum of 2 TB HDD, which when XP first came out was almost unheard of.

Keep in mind XP minimum system requirements are:

Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
CD-ROM drive (DVD is prefered)
Keyboard and a Mouse (or some other compatible pointing device)
Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher resolution
Sound card w/ Speakers or headphones

Those are some meger system requirement when you look at todays PCs.

Lets look at Windows Vista, the next version of Windows for it’s system requirements.

1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 1-GHz 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
Windows Aero-capable graphics card

Note This includes a DirectX 9-class graphics card that supports the following:
A WDDM driver
Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
32 bits per pixel
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

40-GB hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space (the 15GB of free space provides room for temporary file storage during the install or upgrade.)
DVD drive
Internet access capability
Audio output capability

That is a huge leap in sys requirements. Windows XP was the longest run OS Microsoft made before producing another OS.
With Windows XP being released for general use October 2001, 11 years ago Win XP is also the longest supported OS ever.
Its time to put this cow out to pasture.

That’s a matter of opinion, yes, but I’d say VISTA failed largely because it was a shock to many end-users on how much higher the hardware requirements were – the business community in particular. They were also not ready for years to dump all the hardware they invested in and they really didn’t see a point. That was something of a wake-up call for MS and you can’t blame the consumer for that. The point is that THEY should be anticipating what the market wants NOT dictating to the end-users/customers what they should buy.

(Apple gets away with dictating to the market to the point because of all the razzle-dazzle and the fact that human beings are still attracted to sparkly things… The brain shuts down for a bunch of people and they get convinced they have to have something despite the fact they arguably DON’T… The drive to upgrade the iPad or iPod every year loses its luster quickly when enough people get their heads out of their @#$@ and realize that yearly upgrades generally aren’t worth it. It’s one thing if you have a lot of disposable cash and it’s a drop in the bucket to upgrade every year, it’s really stupid when you don’t and otherwise are only upgrading to look cool around people you don’t know…)

What is stupid about the way we do technology is the West is the notion that we have to junk things at least twice a decade. Those costs add up quite a bit and it’s frankly very wasteful. How many people have been forced to abandon perfectly good scanners and other equipment because the manufacturer didn’t continue to support the hardware with drivers through half or full OS upgrades?? There is no way unless you automate most add-on PC equipment that it will break any time soon during the expected life of an OS.

I had a perfectly good, well-operating scanner for my last machine that despite its age was long from being worn out. Most scanners are built for at least 250,000 scans. Again, unless you attach an autofeeder and assign a task like feeding in legal documents or animation drawings to the scanner it’s doubtful you’ll wear the scanner out before the next OS upgrade. I couldn’t use my old scanner on my next system because by the time I got a new machine the basic connections had changed and the internal SCSI adapter card I already had(which was still useable on the newer machine) was not compatible with the scanner! The computer could still sense the scanner was “ON” at the end of the SCSI connection but it could send commands or receive scans. To keep that scanner would have meant buying an adapter card (IF there was a compatible card available!) that was more expensive than going ahead and buying a new scanner! In that sense, I definitely feel for the people who DON’T want to have to buy new joysticks for the new game consoles being released later in the year BUT I also know that we all WILL have to buy new joysticks for the forseeable future unless someone cracks the PCB security on the next gen consoles, too.

I don’t think Windows 8 completely overcame some of its stigma, too.
I heard too often that Windows 8 was considered not different enough from Windows 7 or that it confused the hell out of people with a bunch of unnecessary changes. Windows 7 seemed to be accepted well enough but MS sure doesn’t seem like the company it was during the heyday of Bill Gates, either…

People are fickle, yes, but they also don’t like being taken for rides too often where money is concerned…
… and most people and businesses DO NOT upgrade their computers that often.

Sometimes, it’s just not necessary.
I’ve got a six-year-old PC with 2x dual-core 64 bit processors that can easily run Windows 7 or 8 by the looks of things.
Like my last computer, tech proceeded well-in-hand with this machine and the amount of RAM it could handle also doubled just by increasing the RAM on the memory cards. More than enough to work well with the 64-bit OS’s, too.

IF I were more serious about video-editing AND gaming then an upgrade would be worth it but I can get along fine for at least a few more years with my current system. As it stands, it’s very likely the current PC I’m typing this on will end up spending the remainder of its day as a MAME system when it gets retired as a “Net computer.” Many people are already doing that or getting older, “free” computers from friends and work to run MAME as well.

I agree. I was reading in Japan, there are still plenty of Offices that are using 20 or 30 year old computers still. One business in Japan as a perfectly running 1980s Soviet Computer they do much of their work on.
Head over to Eastern Europe, it is also that way. Old Soviet Computers being used side by side with more modern PCs. Why use computers that are considered antiquities here in the US?

1. They are Cheaper
  2. Why fix something that not broke
  3. Why replace it when you can still fix it

Someone once ask if I wanted to have my Grandmother learn the internet. I said no. After they tried to attack me for my decision I Relate my answer.

“My Eastern European Grandmother went half her life without electricity and without a phone. It was not until after my mother was born (1956) that my Grandparents adopted electricity (in 1960).
When my parents was still young, they had cousins who didn’t have electricity or running water in their villages.
So you take a woman that dealt without electricity for half her life, barely understands Televisions and Typewriters and you want to torture the poor woman with trying to teach her a skills she does not want or need for a machine she going to confuse for a TV with a typewriter wired to it. Screw you for torturing my Grandmother”.

No one needs Windows 8 ever. There is no boost in performance, the UI confuses those who already learned on older editions of Windows.
My brother in-law’s father works for the FAA, he responsible for how their computers get maintained, after trying Windows 8, he refused to let any of the FAA’s computers switch to Windows 8.

May ‘vista’ never be mentioned again.

I got Vista on a laptop 3 years ago, It lasted 3 days. Then Windows XP was in there. Then Windows 7 was there.

VISTA VISTA VISTA VISTA

LOL… Not to defend Vista, but I had it (x64 version) installed via Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro for a while, and it actually ran very well! I’ve since upgraded to Windows 7 (wiped out the partition, did a clean install). In my experience, upgrade installs have always been problematic, so I would always recommend a clean install of ANY version of Windows.

Anyway, the only reason I haven’t upgraded it to Win 8 is because I need to upgrade my OSX version first. Mountain Lion’s Boot Camp is the only version that has the MacBook drivers needed for Win 8.

I actually have regular ass vanilla vista on my desktop. It always worked fine for me until patches and service packs started coming out for it. It started curroupting shit until I finally just wiped it and did a clean install without any updates whatsoever. Works great now.

I’m still using XP as my main rig. I am running CRT_Emu drivers and have a 27" SDTV hooked up through an RGB to Component converter as a second monitor for GroovyMAME and all my retro consoles for all the 240p goodness. I also use it for XBMC on the SDTV, if I want HD I’ll go into the living room and watch.