The Smash Bros. doc was really unique because it told the history of the entire melee scene while simultaneously focusing on a particular player or players who stood out during particular periods. I have learned bits and pieces of the history of competitive Street Fighter from a bunch of different sources (forum threads, YouTube videos, and Sirlin’s book), but there’s no one source that has info. on everything.
There are so many different topics and points to hit that could be really interesting, but to me, they’re just all random scattered, epic events in time to me. Things like:
- Tomo Ohira’s reign during the SF2 days.
- Team USA flying over to Japan (I still have never seen Bang the Machine :’( )
- Justin Wong’s reign during the Marvel 2 days.
- That time when the Japanese came over and showed that roll cancelling consistently was not only possible, but necessary to compete
- The revival of the scene with Street Fighter IV a.k.a. the 2nd golden age
- The first Battle By the Bay tournament and it’s Evolution to what it is today.
This is just what I know off the top of my head, and I’m sure there’re a lot more stories that I don’t know about. Hope someone has some insight that they can share. Hopefully we can keep a record and build a timeline somewhere of all the crazy things that’ve happened in this awesome subculture haha