Where do I even begin?

Hey folks. I’m a complete noob to both the site and fighting games and thought I would first, introduce myself and second pose a question. I’ve been a comic book fan for over 20 years and a gamer too and so recently this led a friend to buy me UMvC3 as a gift. Now, I’m a gamer but fighting games are something I have never messed with other than having a buddy come over and show me how he can do some of the seriously awesome moves. I have never really given the genre a serious shot but it was a gift so I had to at least play it and that’s when I learned something: I may suck horribly but my God I love it. It was fun as all get out and I was just in training mode! I really want to go far with this but I have trouble executing even the most simple of Cap`s moves (Charging Star and Shield Slash.) I just beat very easy mode this morning and it’s been a week and it wasn’t pretty. My question is, if I really want to train up and try to learn these combos, where do I start? I am taking time in training mode to try and get the basics and even put the dummy on easy to try and learn some blocking technique while it attacks. I’m a beginning beginner and even the newest newbies are probably more familiar than I am so how does one take the plunge? Should I even bother trying? That said, any advice is greatly appreciated and I plan to keep at it as long as I can stand it. Thanks guys and a fond hello to you all.

For now keep playing arcade mode, spend some time in training mode, start doing the trials. Just mess around for now until you can do all the special moves. in training mode just practice the special moves and get used to the ranges that the normal moves connect since you need to connect normals to start combos. You will get a lot of advise here that will be too advanced for you, so for now just keep playing until the little man on the screen dose what you want him to do

Solid advice and much appreciated. I have been trying the trials but I’m currently stuck on one of them as I can’t quite get the hang of connecting normal hits and specials. I guess the key word here is practice.

the trials aren’t that important. just figuring out what your moves do and being able to do them on command is more important.

the trials aren’t often good combos, and you can figure out better ones in training mode once you know more about your characters.
fighting games are hard work, but they feel satisfying when you do master them.

I agree with Jason and phantasy.

One thing which has helped and still helps me a lot is Youtube. It’s kind of an overwhelming task to find the relevant things that you need from all the new moves and game mechanics. But you often get straight to the core of this gameplay with a good beginner tutorial. Many veteran gamers do these to help newcomers to get a more welcoming start to a new community with quite a steep learning curve. They go through the fundamentals of the game: movement, blocking, normal and special attacks, beginner-friendly characters, combos etc. And when you are getting familiar with these things, there are always more advance tutorials to teach new techniques. I hope this advice helps you to get forward in fighting game(s). And yes, key word is practice. Many things that may seem impossible at first, come just natural to you after some time of practice so don’t get too frustrated.

Good luck mate! :slight_smile:

I am glad to see a new player with such enthusiasm! I like you already. I do thing you should bother trying, more than so. Our community needs new, fresh souls like yourself. Now then. Its good to find a character you feel comfortable with but its also necessary to become more familiar with other characters and of course its even more important in a game like Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3.
Normally I would say look up which characters work best with Captain America because in the game there some characters that just go better with each other than other like the popular Wolverine/Akuma but really just use whoever you want to use. You are a beginner after all and I think that is the best way of handling. The most important thing when first getting into fighting games is learning the basics because this will transfer is almost every fighting game you will ever play ever. Here is a basic motion guide here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E8T5EBCmLk
Note that this guide is based on an arcade stick since fighting games get their anatomy from arcades. This does NOT mean you have to play an arcade stick and does NOT guarantee you will get better by playing a stick like some people foolishly think. However it is an option that should be considered. I personally think its healthy for everyone to play both stick and traditional controller with fighting games at least once because it is healthy but that does not mean you have to and does not mean you have to buy a stick. However if you do not have a stick of your own I recommend you look for a friend or someone you know who has one or if you are lucky enough to have an arcade near by(Gill bless you if you do) and you see a familiar fighting game give it a try for a feel. If you know any local tournament events I ask that you also go to there to both see if you have the chance to try a stick because there are some that even sell sticks as well as just support your local fighting game scene. :smiley: If you really think you will get into fighting games enough, you do not mind putting up the money to get a stick, or you simply want a nice collectible even if you get out of fighting games(and the Marvel sticks are nice) then go right ahead and buy one. Though I still ask that you see if you can at least try an arcade stick before using it. This and the following is all assuming you do not have a stick. If you have a controller you are totally married to for both the feel and effectiveness there is no big reason to move on to anything else. However its still a very healthy thing to try new ways of playing. Some(say myself) will are stick players, some are pad players, some are even keyboard players. Hell, I heard a story of someone who does it with a DDR controller. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. While I absolutely can’t fathom playing a fighting game with a computer keyboard, but I understand the want since I myself mainly play first person shooters with a keyboard and really don’t like playing FPS games any other way. I do not think you will be playing much UMvC3 with a keyboard but that is still something to note! One interesting thing is a conversation about me and how I need feel my controller vesus my brother and what he needs. I like having freedom to move my hands. the best thing about stick is the freedom to use my whole hand rather than just a few fingers and while this may not bother you(or him) my reason for disliking the idea of using a traditional controller is that an important thing about learning fighting games is feel and muscle memory and that takes a lot of focus and a lot of work from your fingers. With arcade stick my fingers are free but with traditional controller its mainly just my thumb and the constant grinding of buttons blisters my fingers. This is not the bcase with everyone, like my said brother. His take is that he needs a much smaller, confined, and concentrated tool that he can easily fit in his whole hands. Perhaps this is is a better explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJfKr4kCgA

Anyway I have said enough for now. I want to leave of with one basic bit of advice. Practice your basic motions and mechanics as well as learn what each button does for your character. Then look for the same motions in another character and use them with that character to make sure you know the motions and finally learn to do them in reverse. Forget about combos for now and just focus on learning the basics. If you have to the only combo you really should try at the moment is L,M,H, a basic chain that most character if not all have. Most importantly the thing you MUST learn and never forget and absolutely CAN’T play unless you do…is to have fun all the way! Thanks for playing!

Wow, some amazing advice, guys and much appreciated.

Phantasy> So far I couldn’t agree more with the satisfaction. I can almost do a few of my specials on comman and seeing him flash across the screen when I don’t even expect to get it right makes me giddy every time.

Tobias1212> Youtube does seem like a good resource. I watched a couple of videos yesterday and found them a bit too advanced for me but I was mainly looking at videos of folks playing the characters I’m interested in so I’m sure if I look up beginner vids it’ll be a great resource. I plan to practice all i can and I usually do so until my thumbs hurt. Getting some great callouses, lol.

PurplePonyArcade> That is a lot of information. Thanks for putting that much into a post to a stranger. While sticks do interest me and seem really fun, I’m on a tiny budget and so I can’t drop the bones into one. If the opportunity comes up, I would at least try one. As for fighting community, if there is one here, I have never heard of it. I would definitely go just to check it out and mingle and pick up some knowledge from folks willing to share. That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I am focusing mostly on basics and trying to link things together to make them into something. It’s been both frustrating and fun and I actually look forward to playing when I get home from work. Definitely having fun.

Again, guys, thanks so much for taking time to respond.

You are very welcome. I like to give newbies as much information to work with as possible without overwhelming them. I understand being on budget. That is another reason to look any tournaments you can visit if any since the bigger events usually have people selling sticks and the official brands have discounts at these events more than often. That is how I got my last stick.
Speaking of which I just learned that a MadCatz stick is currently on sale: http://store.madcatz.com/categories/fightsticks/Mad-Catz-Arcade-FightStick-PRO-for-PS3.html http://store.madcatz.com/categories/fightsticks/Mad-Catz-Arcade-FightStick-PRO-for-Xbox360.html Not sure what console you use so there is a link to the Ps3 and 360 version. That’s a stick I happen to own. Enjoyable and good to help a beginner get into the fighting game door. The most common brands people turn to are Hori and MadCatz.
.As one of the previous users said, YouTube is a great source of learning if and only if you know where to look. Another good idea is to watch combo videos, tournaments and match footage of the games you want to improve in as well as just games you are curious playing or a least watching. Seeing these won’t really make you much better because even if someone breaks down the most advanced combos in history in a way that even the newer players like yourself can grasp it that still won’t and can’t teach you the muscle memory and the feel of how to actually do and perform it. However this will show you what your character and all the others around them can do, what they shine for, what they fear and how they are best played and this will help you. I think you will find that the longer you do this the more astounded you will be coming back the the things you started watching in the past and how much more you see and understand than you did before. This is why another good idea is to record your matches so you can sit down and learn what you did right and more importantly what you did wrong. Many games do this for you. Sadly Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 does not to my knowledge but its fairly easy to find a modern fighting game or modern rerelease of an old fighting game that does. With that you can also find somewhere to show your videos to other people and have the critic it. I understand any fears you may have with this as its easy to run into trolls and that is why I advice finding(or starting) a thread somewhere devoted to that and or finding(or making) a friend who is better at fighting games than you and having them look at. Do not be afraid of those on a higher level than you because playing with and learning from them is how you get better.
Of course I think you know that already or you would not be on this site! Beating up those below you in skill is really only helpful to anyone if you are just fooling around and having fun and that is perferctly fine. Remember that fun is the sole goal of this all. Though some of us need to learn by getting our backside tossed about. You will learn this if you stick around long enough and there is nothing wrong with you teaching this to others. Some look down on the fighting genre for the fact that it requires much learning. I for one love that. I love learning in general and I really love learning about fighting games. I love playing a game that needs you to play it a lot to master and being able to measure that to others who do the same. That is an important thing about fighting games and many Japanese games. Who know? Maybe you might to.
I can certainly say that a majority of the people you will meet here do. As I said before worry not of combos right now and just look into learning the basics, how they apply to your characters and how they apply to their teammates. Also try to find people you know and trust that are at least mildly into fighting games if only mild and play them. Tiers do not matter a whole lot to me and they matter even less to a newbie and I strongly enforce the idea of using only who you want but I can say the do at least determine the characters that you are bound to see more often online and in 2 player offline. If my memory serves the most commonly used characters in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 are Vegil, Spencer, Dr.Doom, Phoenix, Akuma, Wolverine Dromammu, Morrigan, Hawkeye and Zero. Though keep in mind that I am out of date with the game due to lack of interest in said game and by now the top 10 most used characters may have changed some as it does with some games as they age. Plus as a newbie if you are playing against other newcomers or casuals to the genre they really truly could use anyone and honestly the same goes for online play even though you are more likely to see these characters the most online.
That’s all for now! I may post some more later if you want since I do like helping the new souls strive to be more in this glorious family of mine know as the fighting game community. Though I am not really what you call a pro and there are others that can give far better advice than myself.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Im taking your advice and learning basics right now. I do practice the L,M,H combo as wellas the S,M,M,H air combo. Mostly i try to do my specials 10 times in a row in both directions. Its a long, difficult road but a fun one too. Finding someone to rival and critique me will be tough as I only have 1 friend who I rarely see that likes fighters so I will likely have to play on psn, which is scary since people can be pricks. I know I suck, no sense making fun when ive just been decimated, im here to learn. Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Also, since I dont have a fighting community, I tried online mode…barely scratched the players first character. It was nasty and i kept doing rematches until they must have felt sorry for me and left. I never got past his first but i did learn a little. If psn tag MTslaps is on here, i bow to a superior. Shew.

PSN? That is good since that is where I am at. Though I can’t play with you at the moment since I just ran into some router issues with it and I have been less inclined to prioritize it since I do much of my fighting game stuff on Steam but I will see if I can get my stuff in gear and leave you my PSN when that time comes.
That reminds me. One thing you will eventually need to learn is how to properly cancel one move during its animation into another and when the best time to do that is. While this would normally be something I would not mention much to someone of your level given that the game you are playing is Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 I thought I would mention it because that is where I learned a way of doing it there.
A simple place to start. If you do not already know what you are able to cancel one super into another know as DHC(delayed hyper combo) if I remember right. Meaning while Captain America is hitting them with hyper shooting start before he finishes do a input to a hyper and it will move to another character. If you already know this good because that is something else you need to practice.
The thing I wanted to point out is you can also cancel a move(not a level 3 but it can end in a level 3) into itself with the use of X factor. So start up hyper shooting star before he finishes x factor and then do it again. If you did it right you will be able to hit your opponent twice before the game lets them react. This is not as useful as you things but very good to know and since combos are not something you will be doing any time soon that means you will want to make more use of this. Its still good to keep in mind that you should only use x factor and hyper combos for that matter if you really need to. Nothing wrong with just doing it if you want to but in order to get better one of the things you need to to that is knowing the best time to use a super and doing it.
Another important and easy thing to note ASSISTS MATTER. Chose your assist wisely. That’s not always easy. Some characters its obvious which assist is best like Dr.Doom’s Hidden Missile or Akuma’s Tatsumaki and some are not and some of the ones that are might not even be obvious to you and that is fine. In the end the truly best assist is the one you feel comfortable with. Would you rather have Ryu come in and help you by throwing a fire ball or attacking with an uppercut. That of course is a random example since you may or may not be using Ryu. Best assist is the one you want but remember to think about which one you truly want.
The only other advice here is perhaps to play similar games. Sadly Marvel VS Capcom 2 was removed from PSN so I can’t recommend it to you. The first Marvel VS Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes are bundled as Marvel VS Capcom:Origins but while they are there they may be too different. Marvel VS Capcom:Clash Of Super Heroes is perhaps the most different of all its siblings and Tatsunoko VS Capcom(which if you like the feel and play style of these games and have a Wii I highly recommend as well) and Marvel Super Heroes is more like a traditional fighting game or at least more so than the Capcom VS games. However if you are a comic book fan and want to see the some of the first crossover games Capcom did and some of the notable early comic book fighting games I say give it a buy.
Its something you may not be able to do for much longer since it will eventually be taken of the PSN as well unless the unlikely happens and Capcom fixes their contract or gets a new one with Marvel.
The last fighting game I can recommend to you you that is most like Marvel VS Capom 3 is SkullGirls. SkullGirls has a very active, devoted, and nice community and has a VERY helpful tutorial mode. I should also note that the second DLC character for the game is currently free to download. I hope this does not sound like I am trying to advertise the game. lol :smiley:
Anyway, as always happy gaming and happy training.

Some of what you’re saying is bringing up something ive considered. A friend of mine who loves fighting games came over and played mvc3 and said it was too hectic and suggested that as a beginner i should try street fighter to build findamentals. Is that true? I do want to play street fighter, love Akuma, so should i maybe switch?

As a fellow noob (been playing on and off for years, never been any good), I’ve found that what little skill I do have has come from playing/trying to understand SFIV. mvc3 is fun and everything, but I’ve found it to be a bit much to take in, whereas in SF you can measure you’re progress more easily, as well as understand why you suck/someone is beating you.

Also, if you do pick up SF, you NEED to watch VesperArcade’s SF tutorial on youtube. It’s helped me more than anything else. I’d train with you if we were on the same console, I’m looking to pick FGs up more seriously as well. Happy training!

Thanks ProfoundHate. Thats what I was thinking and I do have a liiiitle experience with SF. I plan to keep mvc3, it is a lot of fun , but for the time being I think Im going with SF. Good luck on your journey as well and if youre on psn, maybe we’ll spar after ive practiced a bit.

Street Fighter is actually harder than Marvel at least when comparing the two modern games of each series side by side. However Street Fighter is more basic and way less wild so that is not a bad idea to try and trying new fighting games in general is a good idea since you can test the basics of what you learned in one and try it in another. Its more universal than you think.
Akuma? Good taste, soldier! Though beware that he is not an easy character for a newbie to take on. He and his brother Gouken to me seem like the hardest shotos(Ryu, Ken, Sakura, Akuma, Gouken, Oni, Evil Ryu). It is not a bad idea to maybe start with Ryu or Ken first because you will find a number of differences of Akuma between his Street Fighter IV variant and his Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 2 variant.
As for getting the game I believe the digital version of Ultra Street Fighter IV comes out on PSN in two weeks. In the meantime you may be able to find a discount of (last version)Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition or other various versions of Street Fighter IV at your local game store. I have seen them on discount often wherever you can find them. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition’s PC version is currently on sale at Amazon.
If you want a really more basic Street Fighter you can always get Super Street Figher II Turbo: HD REMIX on PSN.

Purple, you keep me informed. Thanks a ton! I got it cheap and cant wait to try it.

No problem! If there is any questions you have I will be happy to try and answer them.

Not that anyone is trying to keep tabs on me or anything but I am finding Akuma a comfortable fit. I can do all of his moves which surprised me, of course under pressure notsomuch. I’ve put just under 4 hours in in less than a day, so yeah, I love it. Practiced fundamentals and wanted to at least test the waters and hit the online. After around 20 fights I’ve yet to win a round so staying humble shouldn’t be an issue, lol. Think I’ll lay off that scene for a bit and focus on the training room. Any suggestions on things to practice would be a big help. I’m mostly having the dummy throw things at me and figuring how to get around it and deal damage for the moment. Thanks guys.

Training advice? Well one thing I can say is to practice everyone of your character’s moves, even the ones you may not need and practice them from both the left and the right view.
Trust me when I say I understand the feeling of knowing how to do any move but firgetting how to do everything you learn when under an opponent’s pressure. Sometimes that still happens now and its scary.
Thats is why you stay relaxed when playing and remember the main reason to play the game is for fun. Even if that funs involves being competitive(which is a lot of fun) its still fun first.
Yes winning is fun but having a good match is fun and like I said before I think the learning part is fun to! It would help to brush up on your basic fighting game terms. No I do not mean silly things like “Mahvel Baybee” but technical terms like zoning:the act of controlling space and limiting your opponent’s options or wakeup: the time your character spends trying to get on their feet again after being knocked down.
There are plenty of places to learn this like right here on Shoryuken. http://shoryuken.com/glossary/

Thanks, Purple. I plan on taking your advice. I can do all the moves but havent mastered them by any means. I am trying some zoning but have a looong way to go. Im mostly taking the best advice and just having fun even when losing, but I definitely need to train up.