Where to learn these skills?

Hey guys, I have a simple question for you guys.

How did you learn about electronics, soldering, cutting wood, painting, etc? Did you learn from a friend or a family member, take a class, learn online?

I’m not interested in modding or making a stick now but I’ve realized that it could be a lot of fun and these skills would be great to have for other things as well. Sadly, I’ve never done any of these types of things. What would be the best way to learn how to solder, for example?

Feel free to talk about your specific story if you want.

i learned from doing it myself and researching.

you can do some tutorials or read about it.
or got a mayor in school :smiley:

You learn from doing. Go to the library, bookstore, whatever. Get some books, read about the topic you’re interested in.

If you’re interested in electronics go to radioshack or your local hobby store and buy some project kits. Go online and find small projects and tutorials for what you want to learn.

Sometimes your local rec center or community center will have summer or night classes to take on subjects like this too, and they’re cheap.

If you have enough interest in learning something your drive and determination should lead you.

It would def. help to have others around you to teach the ins and outs, our if you grew up in a family that did this sort of thing. Unfortunately, our education system has looked down on Vocational studies as opposed to doing the white collar jobs. So they don’t really teach this stuff in your typical school…

The internet is a magical tool.

electronics= EP Class
everything else= internet

research and just try dude. for me it was a lot of trial and error

these forums and slagcoin.com are full of information

Yep. That and I’ve always been the tinkerer. Right now I’m pretty much an amorphous amalgomation of strange skills that I’ve picked up over the years.

The internet. Ive always had an interest in electronics but always scared of people telling you that youll ruin stuff. You have to try hard to ruin stuff.
Like parents telling you dont hit the tv screen, youll break it.
Yet when its time to throw that TV out, you hit it with everything you have outside and barely scratch it.
I started when I went for a rock band guitar replacement and they sent me 2. with nothing to really lose, I tried to mod that. got familiar, tried modding more stuff. a little this a little that. bam. start with smaller stuff. you mess up a joystick, buy a new piece. a pad, buy another. or ask around for old crap to play around with.
Just look for sometihng thats highly documented like some of the mods here, and try to follow it as closely as possible to get some of the actual experience. then try your hand at variations then original stuff.
I did a mod to use the bass pedal to trigger star power in the gu itar controllers. they recommend a specific part for the headjack that was $2. after learning more about what does what, ir ealized I can get a 2 pack of a diff part for $1. does the same thing I needed it for.
Next i wanna do a double bass pedal mod when i finish my stick. cmon lizard lick!

Interesting, I might think about taking a class on soldering if I can find one around here thats cheap.

its cheaper just to do it and mess up than to take a class imo. Get an old remote or an old electronic toy you dont use and practice soldering to that. Look up tutorials on how to solder and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.

i guess i got lucky with learning to solder. the company i work for manufactures electronics for the government so i was paid to take a week long course in learning to hand solder electronic components to military specifications. the down side to that is i tend to critique solder jobs on just about EVERY pcb i see.

Seriously, slagcoin is an amateur’s best friend for learning about stick building/modding. As is SRK in general.

As someone previously stated, just take apart a controller and tinker with it and it’s so much easier to understand how it works.

I learned electronics by bashing around at first, then all the electrical engineering labs I had to take in college, mixed in with working at an arcade with a boss that didn’t know how to fix shit. The woodworking I picked up mostly from my dad and by watching a lot of shows on PBS (New Yankee Workshop and The Woodwright’s Shop highly recommended). All the specific joystick stuff I picked up from the BYOAC site and recently slagcoin’s and this forum.

I would agree that taking a simple class for electronics would be good. Make sure it’s one where you have to solder something or you’ll just be learning about circuits on a breadboard (which is good stuff to know, but not strictly necessary for joystick work). With a class I think it’d be easier to learn the proper way to solder.

Youtube…Google…eHow…

lol I learned how to solder at school

I think i did soldering one week in school when I was 12. We also did a bit of wood work but that was only for a small amount of time for one year even though I was scheduled to do it each year I attended (school was a joke, time table was a mess, class’s unprepared, teachers going on strike or quitting).

I did my first other bit of soldering on my Mixer as the faders went. Did that nearly 2/3 years ago. Then picked back up a soldering iron for the first time in ages a few weeks ago. Hacked a 360 pad. Its all trial and error I say. Although a good class could help you pick up some good techniques, your own will to learn and the internet can be just as good resources.

An obvious tip though, some good tools will send you a long way. I didnt have the old iron that I used when fixing my DJ Mixer (due to that one not being mine), so I bought a cheap 30watt from a local store. Its just that, cheap. My hacked pad works perfectly, but it seriously needs re-done. The tip went on the soldering iron straight away resulting in myself having to strip more copper than was needed, and everything being just too messy.

Before I didn’t know anything about this kind of stuff. I had my brother-in-law order an arcade stick off of ebay for Marvel. Damn thing came in and didn’t work properly. So we sent it back and it came back decent. The diagonals didn’t work properly so I researched the web and came to this site. I’ve been a member since and read tech talk from front to back every single thread posted in this thing. I ended up figuring out that the issues with the diagonals were that we ordered P360s and Happs QC at the time and still is really poorly watched. So I ordered an I/L Eurostick and replaced it.

Since then I’ve been buying arcade sticks like a madman and modding them in the mean time. Everything about soldering I learned from SRK. It’s a bit overwhelming now since I’m basically the only one in my state that does this kind of stuff. Last time I went to a tournament I had like 25 people come up to me asking me if I mod sticks. I had to turn everyone down because I don’t have the time to sit here and do this kind of stuff for a living since it’s really a niche market. So at the moment I’m looking for someone to teach so that I don’t have to sit here and fix stuff for everyone lol.

Trial and error, man… It’s nice when you get things right the first time around, but every single mod I’ve done is thanks to the SRK forums, but now without the occasional fuckups.

I never soldered in my life, I’ve only seen my cousin work on computer motherboards so I just had a visual how it worked. After a few burns, loud swearing and tedious wiring I was able to do a bootleg rewiring for full Sanwa on my Hori EX2. I prefer the whole “no pain, no gain” dealio, it’s just more rewarding and experience is win in my book.

Once you try by yourself, you start seeing things differently, what can you do to it, etc. It’s a wonderful thing, to have these skills. Opens up your horizons. Now I’m talking about life, lol.

i wanted to take electrical classes. i was in some and they werent gonna start soldering until something around the 2nd month. and I just had my baby daughter, so 50 hours of work, baby + full time school… I had to drop one…