Where to solder?

So I’ve just received the the stuff I need to finish off my first stick. I need to know where to solder on the PCB board. I have tried searching the forums, but no one has seemed to have used or documented on experiences/how to guide.

This is what I have done so far,
My stick | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is the PCB, I need to know where to solder the wires etc.
Front of PCB | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
PCB Front (closer) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is the front of my stick. I want to put artwork on it obviously once I’m done. Don’t really know how I would apply it though, I would prefer plexi or something like that.
My Arcade stick outside | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

EDIT: Thanks guys for all the support, finally completed my first padhack and stick! Lol, I’m sure it’s definately not going to be my last. I’m already planning on the second one!

what kind of pcb is that?

So easy.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4971/kaynock.png

Red is Signal.
Blue is Ground.

It’s from a Powerwave stick. The one that comes with Blazblue CT edition.

Thanks JDM, once again your a life saver :slight_smile:

I nned some help guys, after soldering all the wires to the input, I decided to try test it on SSF4 training for correct inputs. The PS button and start button works fine. Everytime I try to go left or right, I get the input DB or DF. Up and down are working fine. Now for the buttons its even more messed up, none of the buttons works properly. If I try pressing LP (X) I get the input LK+MK, actually all the buttons seem to have those inputs. After pushing the buttons several times, the right input might come up 1% of the time. Can someone help me please?

BTW: at the moment, what I have done so far is; daisy chained all buttons onto ground on pcb. soldered the wires to the right places on pcb (where JDM told me). I am confused at what I have done wrong so far:(
Any help would be greatly appreciated…

it might be possible that it is a common line pcb and not common ground. You may have to buy a Multimeter to find out for sure.

I didn’t want you to Daisy-chain.

Sorry, I didnt mean to sound like you told me to daisy chain, I just assumed it was ok, because I was told that it was common ground?

Is there any other way to find out without a multimeter? I don’t have one handy.

Nope. Instead for every button try wiring two wires. No daisy chaining.

So instead of daisy chaining, I solder a individual ground wire to all buttons then?

I was just thinking, could it mean that I didn’t do a proper job on the daisy chaining part? As in the connection isn’t going through properly? I say this because when I was crimping the QDs, I struggled with doing it. Can someone actally show me the best way to crimp etc? btw, I only have the cheap wire cutters that double as crimpers, I was using the pliers to crimp. Thanks guys!

http://shoryuken.com/f177/clean-quick-disconnect-pictures-closeups-248302/
http://shoryuken.com/f177/crimping-qds-248403/

Read my Posts.

Thanks for the links :wink:
BTW: When I tried to test the pcb to see inputs in training mode, I was moving wires around to different inputs on the pcb, is this safe while its hooked up to the ps3?

PCB has to be connected to something to test.
Laugh.

If this were the case, what would happen is that only some of the buttons would work, and the others wouldn’t work at all. Think Christmas lights.

Yeah because I was thinking exactly that. The problem sounds like that, most buttons don’t work and I can’t get single inputs always 2 inputs like LK and MK together…

In a common line stick, there are groups of buttons that share a common line or “grounds” but calling them grounds is a mis-nomer. For example on a PS3 dual shock 3 pad, the D-pad and L1 and L2 share a common line and you cannot mix or connect the common line to the other parts that have a separate common lines.

Because you do not have a multimeter to do a continuity test, you have no way to figure out what buttons are common line for daisy chaining.

Maybe the dpad signals have a common line opposite the signal, and the 8 main buttons are common.

You are also using a pcb that nobody really know anything about. In this case the only thing that will work for sure is to have two separate wires for each button, no daisy chaining.

FYI true ground is 0 voltage and will sink any voltage to 0 when the circuit is closed.

My experience with common line boards is that the line opposite the signals has a fixed voltage as opposed to 0 voltage (ground) and for the different common lines they have random voltages.

So try out soldering two wires per button and set aside you daisy chain and see if that works.

No what I meant, was it safe to actually have eg the PCB with no solder pts and me just using 2 bare wires to test inputs. Hmm I can’t really describe it well, I’ll make a short video of me doing it if it helps at all, LOL hopefully I won’t get electrocuted!

Thanks rtdzign for the help as well;) I just tried testing again, when I use my fingers to press the inputs on pcb, they seem to work. Does that help with anything? I know these are suck noobie questions, but I have tried to find “ANYTHING” about this particular PCB on the web with no luck.

That is how to test anything.
I don’t want to simply say Yes or No.
I want you to think about my Posts and what they mean.

You don’t have to make video.
Because I know what you are saying from start.

Will you get electrocuted?
Yes? No? You’ll find out.
Laugh. :party:

I loled so bad after reading this…I’m guessing I should be fine then;) Well nothing has happened to me YET!