Which game to get? TTT2, Persona 4 Arena, or DOA5?

3 fighting games are coming out this year, and I don’t know which one to get. I watched a basic tut or P4A and the mechanics look really fun. I know how to play Tekken and Dead or Alive all ready, but I don’t know which one will get the most people on and offline, or which one will be more fun.

Its really hard for me to choose 1 game p4a and ttt2 will be the games I will buy,if your a fan of persona,air dash anime fighters then get that,I dont know awhole lot about tekken since ttt2 will be my first serious tekken game,as for doa5 it has vf characters and a interesting cast even though I dont see doa as a serious fighting game series

DOA5 will not be competitive unless there are some pretty huge changes from DOA4. Both TTT2 and P4A will be large tournament games. Arc System Works (P4A) has a much, much, better history of writing good netcode than Namco (TTT2), so keep that in mind if you want to play online.

What it really boils down to is whether you want a 2D fighter or a 3D fighter, though. They’re almost different genres.

So how does an “Air Dash Anime Fighter” Play? Do you just air dash for an attack opening or something? I’ve never played anything like it, and will it get more hype than TTT2?

TTT2 will have more tourny and stream play, which equals more money, which equals more players and hype. If in you’re into that type of thing.

I think there will be a lot more people playing Tekken Tag 2 than DOA5 to be honest as Tekken is more popular and more of a serious fighting game series than DOA.

Have you played a KoF game before? Instant airdashes (IADs) at neutral are used a lot like hops - they get you in your opponent’s face to do pressure quickly and make pressure both longer (since they close distance) and scarier (when IAD crossups are a factor), but you can and will get punished for them if it’s all you do all day. In fact, IADs are typically a weaker option than hops. Instant air backdash is a decent “you can have this space, just get off me” tool in most new-school* fighters. You’ll also see airdashes used to get in and whiff-punish certain attacks and (of course) for spacing. New-school zoning and midrange characters will often want to backdash jump-ins if they don’t have a good angle to antiair for example, and many characters may want to do something along the lines of jump in air backdash or jump in doublejump to bait antiair attacks for punishing.

Pressure is typically stronger than in most old-school fighting games; much more similar to KoF than SF, in any case. Gatling chains (aka ‘magic series’; the Gatling term comes from Guilty Gear) mean that you don’t usually just go in and do one or two high/low/throw or left/right mixup or frametrap. Instead, you do a blockstring which may contain multiple mixups and/or frametraps, and then end it with something safe. If the enemy is respecting you and doesn’t try to escape, you want to start another blockstring - they can’t win if they’re not hitting you, and they can’t hit you if they’re blocking. You can’t just do the same blockstring over and over though, or the other player will find (one of) the hole(s) and escape, or worse, hit you out of the startup of something. In this way new-school pressure is actually fairly similar to Tekken’s, so I expect you’d pick it up pretty quickly.

Neutral tends to be faster-paced in new-school games than old-school ones. This is due to three main factors. One is the aforementioned presence of airdashes - a whiffed attack with slow recovery can be punished from almost anywhere (another similarity to Tekken). The second has to do with the presence of double-jumps. When playing footsies in Street Fighter, you are essentially playing a mental tug-of-war for space in one dimension (left/right). In a new-school game, you have two to worry about - not only the horizontal plane, but the vertical one as well. Airdashes affect this second factor, but it is very much there in games with double-jumps even when they have no airdashes. The third is the strength of pressure, mentioned above. This doesn’t mean that there are never characters who win via excelling at neutral, but those that do are typically much more active than the “footsies” type of character in Street Fighter.

Good defense in a new-school game is not (only) good blocking. Good blocking is very, very important, yes, but equally important is knowing when and how to escape pressure. This can be don via various means, with varying degrees of success (hard to generalize which are good options with the breadth of the field). You will want to learn to backdash, to jump out, to IABD away, and even to poke out - be it with a reversal or with something less baitable like a jab. If you read the thread I link a few lines down, ehrik goes into a lot more detail on defense in “anime” games than I have.

If you don’t mind something long-winded, read this thread (actually the “how to play anime fighters” guide in the second post is really good if you can read the language, but Google Translate is bad at it…):
http://mayonakamidnight.com/showthread.php?1488-Understanding-the-fundamentals-of-anime-fighters

*I prefer the term “new-school” to “anime”, because there are definitely some anime games with no airdashes, and it’s airdashes that make a difference to the pace and flow more than any other mechanic.

@op: i’m buying the 3 of them
do the same

Just get p4a or tekken tag

DAMN, I feel bad for DoA now, not even a pity vote yet.

Thanks Narcowski, that really helps. But LOL at the poll, do you guys really not like DoA? I mean its a fun button mash fighting game come on!

The games you’re picking are all different from each other, but since the tekken franchise really is good game, and is hype when you fight in matches, Tag 2 gets my vote

Get all 3 fasho, i will too, but for which game to take seriously, it would most likely be tekken tag

TTT2 will be a surefire hit, but P4A’s popularity in the West is still questionable TO A POINT.

To the point that it has nearly half the votes on a site which has a general history of bias against new-school games which aren’t Marvel even though it’s up against an established series (in Tekken)?

It does have half the votes, but anyone could have just balanced it out. Persona does still look awesome as hell though.

It was 10/9 in TTT2’s favor when I posted that, haha. I know someone could have voted to even it out, gut someone could just have easily pity-voted for DOA, and that hasn’t happened yet, so I’m assume people are just voting for whichever game they personally want most if they can’t really decide on just one.

Like I said way earlier…
TTT2 will be good and it will be a major game for a while at tournaments and anywhere with a 3d fighter scene.
P4A will also be good, and it will be a major game for a while at tournaments and anywhere with an anime fighter scene.
P4A will likely have better netcode; Arc System Works has a much better track record in this respect than Namco.

I know I’m getting all three. I have a bad habit when it comes to fighting game, gotta have them. Even older PS2 ones and imports. Anyways, I fortunate that I live in Japan so I able to test out those game in the arcade (at least P4A and TTT2U). So I tell you it all really depends what type of fighter you like, whether its the 3Dimensional,10-hit juggling, u-about-to-die-so-u-better-tag-out TTT2 or crazy fast pace, air-combo 2D beauty of P4A. Over here people use to be all about TTT2 but lately alot of gamers I been playing in the arcade been up on P4A. I had more fun with P4A than TTT2. I love Tekken but I def given my 2d games more play. So vote for P4A out of the 3. I know BlazBlue and GG fan will pick that one up, as will as Persona Fanboys. Can’t wait to buy GG again for PSN also, lol.

Awww, I’m the only one who voted for DOA5 :frowning:

Seriously though, I’m getting DOA5, and TTT2. I’ve been looking forward to DOA5 for years, and I’m not about to miss out on that one :slight_smile: