Why Am I Retarded?

I’m always practicing BnB and SRK+FADC+Ultra in practice mode… 3 hours a day. I’m starting to master it and I rarely mess up. When I play online however, I can’t recognize the opportunity to do any of these combos that I’ve been learning.

Specifically

I play a typical scrub ryu in ST. Against Guile I’ll try to “pressure” him with fireballs and when he jumps over one I’ll just SRK… I never get that opportunity because by the time I recover from doing a fireball guiles j.hk already hits me… and thats my only game plan.

I don’t know how to bait moves to allow me to jump in and do the BnB or how to bait jump ins on me so I can safely punish with an SRK.

Question is:

WTF is next after mastering the basics of execution when playing against others?

the most important thing to learn is how to zone and play footsies well. Theres a ton of tutorials on these subjects, with zoning you can find youtube videos that explain it well.

I think I know what the problem is. It sounds like you are practicing a different game than the one you’re playing. Try to practice the game that you play and you should see improved results.

I too would like to know some other ways to bait jump-ins.
I’m very new to the game, but one way that I bait jump-ins on XBL is just to position myself at their perfect jump-in range. they’ll wait for you to get just where they want you and then they’ll jump in. if you know the range that they’re waiting for, you’ll be ready for their attack. I feel like this probably only works on new or unskilled players, so I’m interested in learning new ways

If you have someone like Guile or Balrog, just sit on the other side of the screen crouch-blocking. A nooby Ryu or Ken will usually throw fireballs for a good 10-20 seconds and then get bored, so they’ll come jumping towards you. Hit them with a nice c.hp or something, chances are they’ll jump again, hit them with a c.hp again. Once they’ve been hit once or twice, they won’t jump at you again. Then you play the ground game and do what you do best :slight_smile:

play the same way you practice.

An experienced player usually will not jump in unless it is at a safe distance or if they are pressing an advantage, such as a knockdown. Therefore you should definitely learn how to play a solid footsie game, be patient, and apply pressure to your opponent. If you want to land some BnB’s you are going to have to be in the right position to do so, e.g. you have knocked down or thrown your opponent. Then you have the option of mixing them up on wakeup with meaty hits, tick throws, or cross-ups into BnB combos

One of the things that you can transfer ST play to SSF4 play, is the footsie game. The pressure game pre and post knockdown from SSF4 an ST are largely enough similar, but you have to be a little more patient in SF4 just because the strength of the reversal. Most of everyone said it ITT already. Having a strong footsie game forces your opponent to do silly things such as refuse to tick throws, or jump in at unsafe times. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten a walk-up throw with Bison when people just refuse to play footsies with me. It’s even funnier when the opponent is using a shoto, because they have plenty of time to SRK or something like that.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO BE AWARE OF AS A BEGINNER IS TO BE AWARE OF
YOUR RANGE SECTOR OMG LEARN IT!!!

Range 1 : Grabbing range (you should only be here with the intent to grab or if you’re there doing a block string)

Range 2 : Poking range ( for poking… )

Range 3 : Mid range (where most footsies occur) THIS IS WHERE MOST SHOTOS WILL THINK THAT ITS OKAY TO THROW FIREBALLS AND THEY GET PUNISHED FOR IT!!! via jump in

**Range 4 **: Safe haven for fireball characters… opponents usually try to close the gap and punish with a jump in, thinking that they’re really in Range 3 when they’re not

**Range 5 **: Full screen, running away range, taunting range… other properties of this range are unclear to me at this moment.

Spam low pokes.