Why I think SF4 is faster than SFxT

Hi all,<br>I’m not posting much on this forum so I would like to bring up a discussion I had with my brother regarding SFxT compared to SF4, as I’m curious to see what other people think.<br>Basically, we started to analyse game mechanics and see what changed from one to another game, and what (I think) makes this game so boring to play compared to sf4<br><br>Now, I know I’m a minority here, but I’m 100% convinced sf4 is actually
faster than sfxt (apart from combos obviously), simply due to the fact
that in sf4, people hit each other much more often.<br>Throw range is
ridiculously small and walk speed is generally much slower than sf4,
which means the blocking player has no reason to push a button, since
he’s not afraid of being thrown.<br>Everything is safe, mixups are
non-existent apart from overheads. Blocking is just far too strong in
this game.<br>Mobility is even weaker than sf4, moving through fireballs is pretty much character specific as there are characters who can’t do much apart from jumping. Meaning that if you want to get into your opponent’s face you’ll have to be very patient, which makes the neutral game monstrously boring.<br><br>I always get the impression that as long as you don’t push any button, you’ll hardly take any damage. Just beware of overheads, but not every character is capable of converting from it. People online just turtle and hold back, and you can do very little about it. It happens so often that both players end up doing nothing for seconds, with no intention to attack at all.<br>I was playing online the other day, and all I could say was: “Nothing ever happens in this game!”. I don’t know, the flow of the game is just clunky and slow to me.<br><br>I don’t think it’s a matter of being good or not at the game. The very basics of the game encourages players not to attack. I mean, sure, if you are good you can DESTROY defensive players, but even then,<i> you have to be good</i>. I don’t want to get good just to begin to have fun. The game must be rewarding and satisfying regardless of your level of skill.<br><br>I’m not saying sf4 is an offensive game, but at least the simple act of blocking is not as powerful and players are much more encouraged to attack.<br><br>Are there people who agree with me, or is it just me sucking at the game? <br>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/82524/Duaie">Duaie</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>I don’t want to get good just to begin to have fun. <br></div>
</blockquote>

lol, this sounds like the right forum for you.  :-bd<br><br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteText”> It happens so often that both players end up doing nothing for seconds, with no intention to attack at all.<br><br></div>
</blockquote>

I haven’t seen anything like that the entire time I have played the game.  It is probably even less true in the 2013 version.<br>

I don’t play xT but Sf4 CAN be a somewhat fast game when the players aren’t so busy running from each other, which is the case quite a lot, especially online. :stuck_out_tongue: <br>

SFXTekken is a huge pile of shit why would you even bring that in here?

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/15085/Ryuken9">Ryuken9</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>SFXTekken is a huge pile of shit why would you even bring that in here?</div>
</blockquote>

+1

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>they are both slow as molasses.  SF is slower than it used to be.</span></font>

@IglooBob<br>Yeah sf4 is the slowest sf but that’s why I like it. There’s more room for strategy and spacing instead of just rush down, it makes you feel like every hit counts. And I’ve always played aggressive characters, never used a fireball in my life. I find playing rushdown in a game like this much more rewarding simply because it’s harder.<br><br>How they could make a game even more defensive than sf4 is beyond me.<br>I don’t even hate the game, I just don’t understand it.<br>

<br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteText”>@IglooBob<br>Yeah sf4 is the slowest sf but that’s why I like it.<br></div></blockquote>World Warrior is much slower<br>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ABbhQIQHo<br><br>Champion Edition is slightly faster, but even so I enjoy CE (much) more than SFxT.  But I’m biased because I like SFII.<br><br>I agree that SFxT has too many defensive systems, and I’m unhappy that they didn’t address some of my major gripes with the game (huge stages, ultra slow walk speeds, 3 minute combo cut-scenes).  I also think that the game would be better if they gave backdashes less or no invincibility.<br><i><br></i>To certain extent, I agree with Kim1234’s opinion on the game, at least at this stage of the game’s life.  Hopefully things will change for the better in the future<i>:<br><br>I’ve spent a decent amount of time on 2013. So while matches have the
potential to end very quick. My prediction is that in the long run, when
everybody understands everybody’s move list and have a good
understanding of the system, things will revert back to more timeouts. I
still see a high possibility of defense taking over and it will be
difficult to take down strong defensive players (i.e. INFILTRATION). </i><br>http://thefightersalliance.com/street-fighter-x-tekken-2013-thoughts-and-team-construction-break-down/<br>

<div class=“QuoteText”>Hi all,<br>I’m not posting much on this forum so I would like to bring up a discussion I had with my brother regarding SFxT compared to SF4, as I’m curious to see what other people think.<br>Basically, we started to analyse game mechanics and see what changed from one to another game, and what (I think) makes this game so boring to play compared to sf4<br><br>Now, I know I’m a minority here, but I’m 100% convinced sf4 is actually
faster than sfxt (apart from combos obviously), simply due to the fact
that in sf4, people hit each other much more often.<br>Throw range is
ridiculously small and walk speed is generally much slower than sf4,
which means the blocking player has no reason to push a button, since
he’s not afraid of being thrown.<br>Everything is safe, mixups are
non-existent apart from overheads. Blocking is just far too strong in
this game.<br>Mobility is even weaker than sf4, moving through fireballs is pretty much character specific as there are characters who can’t do much apart from jumping. Meaning that if you want to get into your opponent’s face you’ll have to be very patient, which makes the neutral game monstrously boring.<br><br>I always get the impression that as long as you don’t push any button, you’ll hardly take any damage. Just beware of overheads, but not every character is capable of converting from it. People online just turtle and hold back, and you can do very little about it. It happens so often that both players end up doing nothing for seconds, with no intention to attack at all.<br>I was playing online the other day, and all I could say was: “Nothing ever happens in this game!”. I don’t know, the flow of the game is just clunky and slow to me.<br><br>I don’t think it’s a matter of being good or not at the game. The very basics of the game encourages players not to attack. I mean, sure, if you are good you can DESTROY defensive players, but even then,<i> you have to be good</i>. I don’t want to get good just to begin to have fun. The game must be rewarding and satisfying regardless of your level of skill.<br><br><b>I’m not saying sf4 is an offensive game, but at least the simple act of blocking is not as powerful and players are much more encouraged to attack.<br></b><br>Are there people who agree with me, or is it just me sucking at the game? <br></div>
</blockquote>

I think SF4 is quite offensive. The toptier characters are either rushdown characters like cammy or mixup characters like Akuma, Seth, Ibuki, Viper. All the very defensive characters like Guile or Dhalsim are midtier. A good offensive is more rewarding and often SAFER then just blocking, it is very important to control the pace of the game and to be the one who is acting, rather then reacting, look at all the unblockables, which are often also safe jumps.<br>

I honestly don’t really care which game is faster, since I wouldn’t like sfxtk even if it is the faster game. <br>But I agree with Duaie - I really like the slower pace of SF4 - everybody complains about it, but I love it. It’s like a chess game, you take your time to think, to analyze your opponent, your next move, etc. By comparisson, other games are like that card game where you need to tap fast fast fast. It’s one of the reasons I don’t like MvC - it’s way too fast for my taste. I always preffered strategies over FPS and TBS over RTS. <br>

i wouldnt really call cross tekken slower, but it does seem more clunky or cumbersome if that makes any sense.

another thing that bugs me is all the characters have different moves and shit but it seems like the meta game is the same for everyone.

Hey I came back just to say I’m probably going to quit this game lol<br><br>Man, this game… And to think I was so hype when it came out.<br><br>I mean, there’s just to little reward for attacking, and too much for being defensive. There’s just no way to punish a turtle player, at least not hard enough.<br><br>If my opponent walks back and has the life lead, then it means I must walk forward. But why in the world did they make back-walk speed identical to forward-walk speed? I’ll never reach him lol<br>And what’s better is that he’s actually blocking, since he’s pressing back. I’m not, since I’m pressing forward, which makes me vulnerable to fast horizontal attacks. <br><br>At least, in sf4 you had low attacks and sweeps to catch opponents walking back. Hell, that’s what footsies are for! In this game, hitting with a sweep isn’t nearly as rewarding, since it does no damage and it doesn’t reward you with a mixup.<br><br>In general, It’s much harder to break the opponent’s defence in this game. Throws are pathetically useless, even with the buff in v2013. Its short range makes them very predictable and easy to tech.<br><br>As I said, there’s no reason to attack. In fact, there’s no reason to do anything at all. You’ll never take damage for doing nothing.<br><br>I’ll keep watching this game on youtube and tournaments, since it’s fun to watch high level players, but man it’s not fun to play.<br><br>End of the rant, peace<br>

<P>Yeah I used to get beat by Giefs who dont do shit at all, the type of Gief who wouldn’t last long against me in Sf4</P>