Why is adding files to WMP in vista so fucking stupid?

When you use WMP in vista, you dont just add the folder and have it go through and be done. It has this new monitoring procedure which is really a bad replacement for the old way of doing things. Even if you select a folder you want and files to be added. It doesnt directly get them. It searches through EVERY FUCKING FOLDER to see if its media. It even goes through PICTURES! I was wondering what the fuck was wrong when it was checking my manga folders.

But I dont want to do this everytime I want to add an album. I just want that folder to be added.

There’s your problem.

WMP is the worst thing to happen to multimedia management since Real Player.

If you select Add to Library you control exactly what folders are going to be scanned (and can remove/Ignore your pictures folder if you want). If you add a new folder and don’t want to wait for it to run through everything, click the Close button to background that folder scan.

For your scenario, it’s probably easiest just to drag and drop the folder in question onto the player’s library node, which will result in that folder exclusively being added. If you want to add it to the scan/monitored list, you can then add it to that list too (and Close-to-background that scan), but it’ll already be scanned at that point.

In theory you don’t need to worry about any of this as long as the root of your media folders is already being scanned. This is the value of establishing a monitored “Music” folder.