Why isn't SF more beginner friendly?

The less you watch match videos, the more you’ll have time to play and actually improve.

It’s actually the most forgiving one of the series. What you need to remember is that there is a learning curve, but that’s the same of all fighting games. It’s a lot more accessable than say Blazblue or GG where input executions are a lot more strict. The best advice is to read the beginner threads and watch videos on youtube, there are some great beginner tips and introductions/tutorials into combos, linking, FADC execution etc. You just need to spend some time in training to work them out and get used to them, it’ll come in time. I understand your frustration but unfortunately you can’t leave the starting blocks at lightning pace.

Actually Yu-Gi-Oh is beginner friendly. Magic the Gathering is not (though it is becoming more beginner friendly as the years go by.) This isn’t to say Beginner friendly = No advanced play level. Its just that Yu-Gi-Oh is a fairly simple game to pickup to most basic levels of how to play or create decks.

Clearly Capcom has failed you, son.
Creating 2 of the most brain-dead, noob-friendly, strategy-devoid games in SF4 and MvC3 just wasn’t enough. Despite their best efforts we STILL have beginners actually losing at fighting games. Clearly this cannot stand. I mean, if people who just started SF yesterday can’t beat anybody who has years of FG experience, then how can our community last?
I mean practice, studying, training mode…who has time for that?

I propose that the best course of action is to petition Capcom to include more beginner-friendly features for the inevitable 4th edition of SF4:

–Auto-Aim mode: no more missing projectiles just because your opponent wanted to jump!
–Anti-spam guard: but we all know fireballs are cheap, and spamming is not skill, so whenever you’re under half-life you no longer take damage from projectiles
–Auto-correct wake-up: we all know how hard it is to get those pesky DPs out in SF4, especially when you’re knocked down. Now, not only does the game auto-correct your direction for you, but you can get your invincible reversal to come out guaranteed by mashing any button on wake-up.
–Magic Shield mode: we all know how frustrating it is to work hard throughout a match only to lose due to time or chip damage because someone didn’t want to STAY AND FIGHT LIKE A MAN!1!11!. So by pressing and holding any 3 buttons at the same time your character gets a magical protective shield that auto-blocks, is throw immune, and negates all chip damage.

These are just some starter proposals but I’m sure you have your own ideas, so I suggest contacting Capcom ASAP to make sure that you never have to deal with ever losing in any fighting game ever again.

Wow the SF community sure is inviting…

Anyway I’ve just picked the game up as well and well I’m having a similar experience but I will persevere.

The people who say this is the most braindead and easy execution fighter ever clearly have played street fighter games before because I can assure you 1-2 frame links and crazy fly across the screen with armor and start a combo moves that only a couple of characters have access to make it VERY difficult to get into. The execution barrier just seems so much harder than other fighters I’ve played before, including BlazBlue. Not so much Guilty Gear but that’s irrelevant.

I don’t think that Capcom should make the game easier necessarily, but I for one prefer it when games come down to how players react to their opponent and pressure leading to advantage. Of course Street Fighter is like that, but it seems it will take a hell of a long time for me to reach the stage when I can possibly do that. Right now I’m wrestling with brutal combos where to get the big damage you need to perfectly link these ridiculous windows. I know you all know that, but instead of blaming newcomers for being the problem with the game, maybe you should actually try to help them improve. Obviously not everyone, but Street Fighters vocal minority seems to be one of the loudest.

Then don’t play games which require any modicum of skill.

You seem surprised at people’s reaction to really weak claims because you in particular can’t pull off moves/combos etc. You then take the “why don’t you help us” argument. Well, if you looked on the forums for longer than five minutes, you’d see that there are plenty of threads designed to help the beginner - it’s time to start helping yourselves.

This is what fighting games are, man. It’s just the way they are. They’re not like other games where you can pick up on the fundamentals right away and dive right in with immediate, moderate skill that increases in direct correlation with how much time you put into it. Fighting games have a steep learning curve at the beginning and it will seem hopeless until you finally “get it.” It’s popping a cork versus twisting off a soda cap, the former takes some doin’ until you get to the good stuff. I got started on Street Fighter IV after not playing many fighting games since I was a li’l button masher in Marvel vs. Capcom before arcades died around here. My advice to you is to practice your execution, do trials*, watch videos, and try to repicate what you see in training mode with the dummy set to auto block (the dummy starts blocking when a combo fails). It’s a learning experience so pay attention to what’s going on. You need to understand the how and why behind the mechanics of the game, until then (in my opinion) there’s no point in playing live opponents, computer-controlled or human.

*Some trials like Viper’s later ones will seem downright ridiculous. Sow your seed. If a trial seems too hard, try another.

You should definitely watch these.

It’s not easy enough yet Capcom, keep trying…:crybaby:

[media=youtube]D4-B5rmgb8Y[/media]

[media=youtube]VP-pPtdPKWE[/media]

You missed my point, he was asking for advice, he got some and a lot of berating. I don’t want to derail this thread any further seeing as the poster above me offered advice. I watched that entire series a while ago and it’s great for newcomers to all fighting games, explains the basics and techniques well.

EDIT: Post 2 above me now…

Don’t worry not everyone in the SF community is a dick. Had the OP asked his question in the newbie sakyo thread I’m sure the response would have been less snobish. But then again some of these old school players like to tear down the new guys for whatever reason.

I think you missed the point. If you take a couple of minutes to actually check the forum threads, you’ll find a wealth of information aimed at beginners. People aren’t acting like dicks because they hate new players, but simply because you can’t even look for yourselves and need to be spoon-fed.

I stated my position to let the OP know I empathized with him, I didn’t ask for help just stated the general attitude to thread such as this. If this thread should have been posted somewhere else, people other than Kuma should have simply stated it.

Anyway, to the OP; I’m assuming you are new to fighters in general right? Street Fighter clearly isn’t the easiest but if you’re enjoying it there’s no reason to stop persisting.

I think the point new people don’t get, is you’re not going to be successful at street fighter in a week, or a month, or maybe even a year. People learn at different paces but there’s nothing that you can do to make it more accessible that isn’t dumbing the game as a whole down. Doesn’t matter if sf4 is the most accessible of the series, it’s still Street Fighter and still requires work. Executional problems are a different subject entirely and just come time to how much time you put in, or if your hands don’t work.

This needs to continue to be true.

Well, I think there are two aspects to “beginner friendly.” I probably should have been more clear, so I will expand a bit.

The first is accessibility. If a game is accessible it means that it’s easy to understand, beginners can easily play at a basic level, there are good resources for learning, etc. Street Fighter 4 isn’t the most accessible game for a lot of reasons, but the big one is that a total beginner has to spend a lot of time working on things like executing a fireball just to play the game at a very basic level. Other games like StarCraft and Quake are far more accessible because the basic execution barrier is very low, and the mechanics are very easy to understand.

The other is how much work it takes to “get good,” and in this case competitive games naturally tend to be fairly unfriendly. Successful competitive games have a high skill ceiling so that beginners can’t show up and random out the number one guy in the world. It seems like they also tend to have at least a few very sharply divided tiers of skill, where beginners may slowly get better among their own play group, but still be dominated by intermediate players and so on.

A lot more accessible than BlazBlue maybe, but because of execution? Really? The hardest thing I can think of off hand is Ragna’s 22C loop, and that’s only because it involves a dash so you can’t rely on advance input. Most other links in the game are effectively 5+ frames because of advance input. BlazBlue has long combos that are hard to remember if you’re not used to that, but the actual execution is generally really easy.

I’m a beginner too. Personally, I find the game fun and challenging. It’s not easy - it’s not even intended to be easy - yet it’s not that hard if you just try. I’ve found this forum simply by googling ‘How to play Street Fighter’. Tons of info are available if you only bother to check for it. Glossaries, guides, tactics, strategies, advices… Everything a beginner needs and more.
I’m bad at execution and too think it could be easier… But the game isn’t all about execution! at least, not at beginner play level. One can win with bare normals (that is, punches, kicks and throws). One even must be able to do so - after all, it’s the easiest and the safest way. You can screw a combo, but you can hardly screw pushing a single button. :wink:
So, summing it up, this is what every novice is to do (from my experience):

1. Lurk these forums (lurking other forums might produce more insights into playing the game, but let’s just for a minute suppose you’re too lazy for overdoing it);
  2. Choose a character you’re happy with. That is, one who’s story you like, one who’s top tier or one who’s moves are easy for you. You might even chose someone based on your pants’ color - be my guest at it!
  3. Go play arcade mode with the character you’ve chosen. Play a couple easy or the easiest difficulty games. Don’t use and special moves as of yet - just kicks, punches and throws. This will help you learn the basics what your character can and can’t do, how to fight what and things like that. Focus on defense more then on offense - many novices lose simply by forgetting they can block stuff.
  4. If you discover any problem, go to your character’s forum and simply ask the question. If you don’t understand the answer don’t fret to ask for further explanation.
  5. Only after you know how you character fights, feel free to go play online. Don’t be afraid of losing. Just try to think on why you lose. Don’t take “I’m a bad player” for an answer. If you can’t find your mistakes yourself, try uploading the replay of the game to Youtube and asking other players what you’ve done wrong.
  6. You can’t go online and win if you don’t work for it. Well, you can, in fact, but it will be just dumb luck. Don’t count on it. Lurk. Learn. Train. Don’t go for 2-frame combos, FADCs and all the stuff that frightens you. You don’t need it yet and you won’t be needing it until you know you can do it consistently.
  7. Nobody’s making you play the game. If you don’t want to learn it - don’t. Just play with friends of your skill or don’t play at all. You’ll save yourself time and nerves you’d lose playing the game based on what you don’t like.

P.S.: Just a piece of wisdom for all the novices to remember:
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."
The gospel of Matthew 7:7, 8

I think the thing that makes SF seem a bit harder is the fact that its 1v1. No team to back you up and give you a false sense of skill, although once you get good, no need to worry about making sure you have strong teammates in a game. Just know that we’re all in the same boat. There is always going to be someone better than you.

sf4 is very, very beginner friendly. so much so that i think its actually a negative aspect of the game.

Go lose at tic tac toe nucka.

Lots of the usual “fighting games aren’t for you” snobbishness on display here, which is more or less expected.

To the OP: Keep at it. I played lots of FG’s in my youth back on the SNES/Genesis (Super Street Fighter II, MK2, etc) but then got out of it for a long, long time. Picked up FG’s again when SFIV first came out and played it on and off. When SSFIV came out I bought it, a fight stick and decided to get more serious about playing FG’s. I still get stomped online fairly regularly, but I keep learning with each passing day. I’ve watched and studied hours of “how to” videos (watch or purchase Vesper’s tutorials. I bought the DVD set and it’s awesome, but you can watch it on Youtube for free).

About a week ago, after a lot of practice, I managed to hit my first SRK/FADC/U1 with Ryu in practice mode, and believe me, it felt awesome (although waking up my wife to tell her about it wasn’t such a good idea).

I’ve also made some new online friends by way of this forum, and play on PSN with them as much as work / being a good dad permits.

In other words, just keep playing and have fun with it.