Why Tekken's limb based controls are better for fighting games

Tekken’s control scheme is better, because it makes you figure out things on your own. You know lows/mids/highs? Horizontal/Vertical moves? Weak/Medium/Hard attacks? In Tekken you have to figure these all out on your own, no one will handhold and tell you what does what. Only thing you know going in, is that each button corresponds to a limb.

Now let’s take a look at other fighters and what they do wrong, starting with MvC3 oddly enough. This game uses the doujin style controls of Melty Blood, 3 attack buttons corresponding to weak/medium/hard attacks. Why is this bad? Simple: the game has already told you what attacks do what. There is far less to learn and delve into now. You already know when you pick Storm and press the hard attack button, she will do a hard attack. There’s no mystery there, no sense of discovery. The game tells you “Press this button, your character will do a hard attack!”

Look at Tobal, same problem. In any other fighter, you learn what moves hit high/mid/low. This game tells you flat out. “Hit this button for a high attack. Hit this one for mid. Hit this for low.” No discovery. No real learning. The game took away most of the depth right there. You already know what does what right away. Congrats, the depth is gone.

Soul Calibur, same thing. The game tells you what attacks go horizontal or mid. So you don’t even need to learn that, the game just told you. Oops I need to use horizontal attacks against Siegfried, good thing the game maps them to a single button instead of making me learn it on my own with a more intuitive control scheme.

I honestly wish all these other fighters would be forced to adopt the Tekken limb based control scheme, as it makes the most sense for fighting games, is the most intuitive, and yields the most depth.

Grabs a bag of popcorn
Here we go again…

People need to be reasonable and understand that Tekken style controls are the best thing for fighters. Consider this: What would be worse, if MvC3 had Tekken style controls, or if Tekken had MvC3 style controls?

-MvC3 would be improved greatly. Characters would gain MUCH larger movesets. Combat would be more intuitive. You could do even crazier combos.

-Tekken would be extremely limited with MvC3’s system. The characters would lose TONS of moves and combos. The depth would dry up like water in a desert. Combat would be shallow and repeetitive, you’d pick Jin and just go weak attack weak attack medium hard "special"move.

See? Tekken would lose out, whereas MvC3 would gain tons having Tekken’s controls.

limb-based controls are superior mainly because they are one step closer to TRUE virtual reality

hopefully soon technology will allow me to escape the real world forever

Slow down, I didn’t say all THAT. I’m just saying it adds more depth and is more intuitive. Imagine Tekken or a 3d fighter period, but with MvC3 style controls, shit would be fucking AWFUL.

Boo, make up some new material. Your trolling is getting stale.

i will create an anime paradise

It’s not trolling just because you don’t understand it. Free your mind and you’ll understand the knowledge I am droppin on you young cats in this thread.

If you like technical controls so much, why don’t you just go fight IRL? You can do more than jsut a left kick, you can do a left knee or a left roundhouse

go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away

Assuming you’re serious: A game’s depth does not derive from figuring out what pressing a button does.

They are better, to me, but respect the fact that it is completely dependent on the developer’s preference. Capcom would never make a SF or VS game with limb-based controls because that’s not their style, ever since the beginning they went with light-medium-strong, and so that’s how it stays. Maybe in another fighting IP they’ll choose limb-based controls, but probably not. They pioneered their control scheme, just as SNK pioneered the ABCD control scheme, it’s the trademark.

That’s an absurd argument. I see people whining about MvC3 not being “deep enough”, by that logic, maybe I should tell them to go get bitten by a radioactive spider and fight people in alleys instead of expecting that from a damn game.

My point is, that weak medium strong control setup makes for a shallow game, compared to Tekken. You can’t even have many moves with that setup sadly.

Mods, can we PLEASE have join dates back? For the umpteenth time: we don’t talk shit to people for being new, we do it because they post stupid shit (…cuz they’re new).

I love how people on this site are so allergic to intelligent discussion that they cry troll anytime a post is made that doesn’t coincide with their view on something, and demand action be taken. Guess I should stay at Tekken Zaibatsu, you can actually have discussions like this there without people crying and acting like Nazis in a warcamp.

hahahaha you are so dumb its unbelieveable. in the op post you go on about how you have to “figure out” which moves are weak and strong and high and low or whatever saying that youre apparently being “handheld” in other games and then minutes later youre here telling everyone that you want things to be intuitive. well you big idiot its pretty freaking intuitive to know which attacks are weak and strong and high and low without having to “figure them out”

I like the reasoning that not knowing anything makes a game deeper

mouseover ppls name for userid

go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away go away

Never thought of that :tup: