Why You Mad Bro!?

Trufax.
I was playing (Endless) with a 10000+ BP/ 4000+ PP Ryu last night with my Dee Jay… another couple of matches and I could have had that. And I’m uber-scrub.

First things first you need to learn how to control your anger. Once you let your anger take control your gameplay is going to suffer. No matter how skilled of a player you are you are going to encounter players better than you and inevitably lose. I can get pretty frustrated myself at times but I try to be too stubborn to admit defeat which helps me not give up.

Secondly, evaluate what it is that is causing you to lose games and ask yourself what you can do to change it.

Are you missing too many combos? If so you need to spend more time in training mode practicing them. If you don’t want to practice your combos at all you don’t have any right to rage out when you drop them.

Are you getting outsmarted? Even the best players have weaknesses. Find them. Watch your replays. Usually if someone uses a move or tactic over and over I figure out something my character can do to prevent or defeat it. It doesn’t always work but if you aren’t even attempting to adapt to your opponent you will never progress.

Are you playing the right character for you? I think this is one question that people don’t ask themselves as much as they should. You need to experiment with a bunch of characters and find out which ones style suits you. Personally I have pretty poor execution and am not the greatest at rushing down so I tend to stick with more defensive, less combo heavy characters.

Also I think it’s very important WHO you are playing with. Playing ranked against random douchebags for one round and never getting a second chance against them is much more aggravating then hanging out with some friends and playing casuals. Also when playing in Endless battles if you’re losing you have time to sit and watch the people who are giving you trouble play. Watch their game for patterns you can take advantage of. Watch how everyone else tries to deal with them and what works or doesn’t.

My two cents hope it helps!

Well, I don’t think i’m being ignorant or an idiot. You just have to see things from my point of view. when I put it on more skilled, i run into more highpoints people. When i put it on same skilled i run into more people my rank, so it does, to a point, try to match you up right if there’s people in that bracket.

Second, my player points have been a direct result of my skill. When I learn something new, my average goes up. I have a harder time against high 2000/3000 people then i do against 1500 and below. From my point of veiw the system works. How well i’m playing directly translate into what my score is, seems to be working as intended from my end.

I have however, never been matched up with 4000+ plus people. Maybe once if i remember correctly. So I don’t really have a frame of reference for those people with that score. But I have fought a bunch of 3k people, and now that you mention it… You make an interesting point about the cheating. I can’t for the life of me figure out what lets you get up into 4000 point range, at my best i’m around 2800, i’ve come close to 3k but never quite got there. There have been times when 3k players pull off combo strings that seem un-human. I hadn’t thought of it before, but I bet there’s controllers you can buy for xbox that let you macro huh? Would explain it.

The more I think about it, the more I realize, those 3k+ people don’t seem to really out play me. They normally just do some f’ed up crazy never ending combo that I never see people in tournaments do. Well, except for this one Ryu, his zoning was flawless. But literally every other 3k player that beat me, did so with some bullshit unbeatable combo. I hadn’t really given it much thought up to this point though.

So you see, from where I’m seeing things, it just looked like everything is fine and those high point people are just amazing players. I would be actually be pretty happy to find out i’m wrong, always thought of myself as a very good player, and wanted to start up in tournaments after I get my arcade stick, but always seemed very daunting and intimidating since there were so many people above me at my lowly mid/low 2k range.

But since everyone else on this forum seems to be in agreement, I guess there is something i’ve missed.

I’ll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and try out some non-ranked online play for awhile see how it goes.

By the way, I’m sorry if I came off as an ass hole, I don’t mean too, I try hard to keep civil but sometimes I slip up. My bad.

I’m sorry dude.

As per the original topic, my advice would be to take things one step at a time.

there’s a lot to learn. You can’t possibly try and get it all at once. you need a game plan. You need to work on one thing, until thats working for you, then move onto something else.

For a newer player, some of things i would suggest are…

Learn 2 combos.
first, a safe combo. Something you can just throw out there, something safe so if you miss or gets blocked they can’t counter attack and punish.
Second, a punish combo, something that does as much damage as you can get. Doesn’t need to be safe, this is the combo you use when your opponent misses something big and leaves themself open like after a dragon punch or flash kick.

Learn proper blocking.
Just not the high/low standard blocking which you probably already have, but cross-ups. thats when some one jumps behind you and hits you from behind. They land on the back of your shoulders basically. Its a good move to learn how to do, but absolutley vital to learn how to see it coming and defend. A good starting point here is if some jumps forward from close range, try and walk under them, you’ll either make them miss, or you’ll end up blocking the correct way.

throws.
This is probably the most basic move that gets over looked by newer players. Throws are as important as blocking and hitting. Throw a lot. Expect throws to come. But throwing a lot is like the best defense against them, since the main counter to stop a throw is to throw in return, so if you find yourself in range for a throw, and you don’t go for one, you just gave your opponent a chance to throw you. You’ll notice whats called tick throws, thats where they’ll do something like jump, hit you with a light attack to get you blocking then throw you while your blocking. You can counter throws while you block, and you can counter throws while your holding down and back. So while your holding down and back to block, its not a bad idea to hit throw when it looks like they have any chance of throwing you. If they throw, you’ll cancel it. If they keep hitting, you’ll keep blocking, if they stop and do nothing you’ll hit em with a light kick. its a technique called option select.

The last basic thing thats good for newer peeps is don’t leave openings, play safe. If your unsure of how to beat your opponent go defensive and wait for them to miss a big move, don’t just keep trying to randomly land a jump kick over and over. Take your time, don’t rush. Once you’ve gotten good at keeping yourself alive, learning to damage other people becomes a lot easier.

I personally just wish BP went up quicker. I hover around 3k player points, but I think I only have 4k BP because I rarely play ranked. In response to the first post, if I get too agitated I stop playing. That’s how I deal with it. At the same time, however, I find it pretty pointless to get frustrated. The worst kind of thinking that you can do is to think that something is unobtainable or too good. If you find something that beats you, you can’t just dismiss it as some kind of fluke or something you can’t achieve.

There’s a local player who can hit 1 frame links without plinking all day long. His execution is at an entirely different level from mine, but if I had just given up I wouldn’t have gotten as far as I have. You gotta look at the things that are happening and look at it from a different view point: How can I prevent getting in the situations where I will lose. You have to understand your own game, your own skill level, and force them to play your game. If you can’t do that, then tighten your own game and make sure that they can’t utilize whatever they are trying to do to deal damage.

Getting mad at other people or yourself will just make you play even poorer. Avoid laggy matches, and understand that losing is more important than winning. Go in with a gameplan, and if you are good enough to execute your gameplan, great! If they outclass you, play with them a bit. Figure out their unique style of attack. Spend the first round playing with them, seeing how they react to various things. Figure out how they like to attack, how they like to deal damage. In round two, try your best to deny them their favorite ways to attack. Chances are, online players won’t be able to adapt quickly if you constantly deny them their favorite way to attack. If they ARE decent enough to start changing it up, congratulations, you’ve forced them into a playstyle they haven’t practiced as much, or are less comfortable in.

Or, alternatively, some players seem to enjoy just trash talking themselves, calling themselves useless, or simply raging against things they don’t understand. It’s completely self destructive and won’t help you progress as a player. If you can’t control your emotions, you’ve already lost.

Edit: I ramble a lot. Uh… Don’t get mad, just play smarter. If you are thinking consciously during the entire match, you won’t have time to get angry.

THIS - Personally, I grew up with the quarter circle punch motion since I was a little kid in the arcades. Thus I’m more inclined to fireball characters. However, I find myself getting beaten down with Ryu/Ken dramatically when going up against someone with an insane Juri or Dhalsim. I’m wondering, of all the characters, and all the terminology, is there a more in depth post lurking around somewhere that will give a definitive strengths/weaknesses for each character in the game? As well as some of the top used play styles for each? Nothing big, just a brief overview of each instead of, “Look in the character specific forums” because they tend to get a bit too technical with their characters in their sections.

Do you guys think it makes a difference if you practice execution in a training room? Cuz the feeling is so different online due to lag and instead, I just practice execution on real opponents in Ranked matches. I guess doing extended practices in the training might help. but hmm…

No I’m pretty sure the more you practice combos in training mode the worse you’re going to get. I mean in training mode the opponent is just standing there, that’s rarely going to happen in a match. It is much more beneficial to practice your combo timing on Kens holding upback and spamming J. RH.

You live in LA o_o or near it for the other poster. Go to Arcade Infinity and play fools there. :slight_smile:

Forgive me for being blunt, but you are a fucking idiot.

Sorry Zimbabwe. Actually, if you’re trying to get the timing and execution down, training mode WILL help you develop muscle memory and proper timing/spacing, depending on the circumstance. Though in training mode the opponent is simply standing there, it helps for you to, well, TRAIN, before you go out on a live match and try to wing it. Though learning over the internet is acceptable, you will have to remember that you WILL experience lag, so you’ll never be able to determine a pattern for your combos properly if you are constantly playing on choppy connections. Establish a foundation for your combos offline so that you know how your combos SHOULD flow, and if it happens that your combos do not land over the internet, then thats reasonable since lag is there. But dont for a second think that learning in training mode makes you worse of a player, because thats a God-awful idea, if I ever heard of one. If anything, it sets the pattern for you knowing how your combos should be executed.

Homie, the idea of training mode is to help you quickly train your muscle memory for complex combos, not to teach you how to apply them in a match.

Good luck trying to learn anything more than a basic BnB combo while training yourself to do it in a match, it’ll take you easily 3 times as long most likely much longer.

man you guys are too easy

Not sure, but Paper might have been being sarcastic. Maybe. I dunno. Bye now.

take your ego out of it. no matter the situation don’t put your pride on the line, better yet don’t be prideful. have a positive and constructive outlook on your errors. next time I’ll know the matchup better by practicing. next time I won’t miss that punish. I’ll practice my execution more so in that critical situation it wont fail me. etc.

I wouldn’t call myself a very good player and there are a couple of reasons to why I lose my matches. But I always try to think of that when I play online and things aren’t going well. For example if I’m dropping my links or inputting nonsense it could be because I’ve been fooling around with too many characters or because I’ve not practiced enough. Sometimes your opponents have played ONE character since sf4 so you cant expect to pick up a character and get awesome results in one week.

btw you shouldn’t worry about win rates or points. I myself had a period when I hit almost 3k pp with balrog by only learning one combo. I didnt even grasp the character but the more I learned the more points I lost because I stopped doing mindless jumpins or unsafe combos. It might not make sense at first but when you try to implement more things in your game plan it gets shaky at first and you’ll most likely get overwhelmed by all the new tools you have discovered. Today I still can play crappy but I dont take it so seriously because like someone said here earlier. Its better to win and understand then to win a scrubby/random win.

@sektr
I thougth that turbo was mainly used by blanka/honda players? How do you know ppl aren’t double tapping?

Just have a good time man. Just take every beating with a grain of salt. Learn from those beatings, pay attention to your mistakes. It takes a while to get the hang of things sometimes. If you have the means play it offline with other people.

p.s. more of this ranking crap eh? Man I have like 700pp (I dont play ranked matches much) and have no problem stomping a lot of people with 4k pp. Pay no attention to that crap its not a very accurate way to judge a persons skill.

Paper - pretty funny man

Watch the replay with inputs showing. It’s really obvious whether they’re using turbo or not. There’s a massive difference between people who just mash shit out and people who use turbo input-wise.

And it’s definitely not just Honda/Blanka:

[media=youtube]PHQFdpus9Zw&feature=related[/media]
[media=youtube]P–KE1q8UZg&feature=related[/media]

Wow man, I never figured people used turbo. I guess because I dont and know that its against the “rules” but damn. I never even thought about lookin’ at inputs during replay to see something like that. Some guy once accused me of using turbo. I should have told him to check out the replay with inputs on.

edit - I really wish they wouldnt have put turbo on the madcatz sticks. I dont know if they do it on other sticks. I know that some people play shooters and what not and turbo can be a blessing for those games. But when a stick is made with only playing fg’s in mind (like the te’s and se’s} there just shouldnt be a turbo option.

losing your cool will lose matches. i have learned more from receiving beatdowns than i ever have from lopsided victories. finding a play group and leveling up with others is always the best for all involved.

Ohhh k thanks. Coincidentally enough, I did go in the training for a bit after reading this thread and my execution has gotten a little bit better. I shall put more time and effort into the training room more now.