Xbox360/PS3 - USB ports and player number assignment

Here’s a something that’s been bugging me that I haven’t been able to find any info on.

Do the Xbox360 and PS3 poll their USB ports in a specific order to assign player numbers to? That is, if I plugged in a wired controller in USB port “A” and another in USB port “B”, and then turned on the system, will they always come back as “player-1” and “player-2” respectively?

No. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. It’s an irritating mess. So with my two VS sticks, I have to leave p1 plugged in and just plug in p2 after p1 is registered.

On PS3, whichever arcade stick selects the game, is the one that’s P1, regardless of which USB port it’s in.

Games that don’t suck allow you to assign P1 and P2 to sides when selecting a mode, so it doesn’t really matter. :stuck_out_tongue:

The only logic I’ve ever detected (if I’m even remembering right) is that the controller you use to turn the device on (if you do it that way) is always player 1.

Saves are tied to gamertags, aren’t they? If I’m sitting on P1 side, I don’t want to have to tell the person who actually got controller 1 (in my case, frequently a young nephew) how to select the save and select the correct mode. Or to sign out of my gt and let me swith profiles. It’s a silly piece of poor design