Yasumicon Anim Convention Game Room Tournaments - AUG SAT 02/SUN 03

NEED DIRECTIONS AND LOCATIONS TO THE CONVENTION?

YASUMICON: http://www.yasumicon.com

=====================================================

Yasumicon and Noobie Games are hosting 4 fighting game tournaments on Saturday, August 02 and a Halo and Gears of War tournament on Sunday, August 03.

Tournament registration will be starting at 11:00PM.

The games will be:

SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL (WII) @ 12:00PM
GUILTY GEAR XX ACCENT CORE (PS2) @ 12:00PM
CAPCOM VS SNK 2 (PS2) @ 12:00PM
STREET FIGHTER III: 3RD STRIKE (PS2) @ 6:00PM

Door fee: $5
Tournament entrance fee: $5

Prize scheme:
1st Place: 70%
2nd/3rd Place: On-site Prizes

We are running a custom bracket system, which will be explained at the bottom of this post. The bracket system was designed by Seiken/VManofMana (Jabel Morales) and will allow us to more efficiently run this tournament.

RULES:

SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL

GUILTY GEAR XX AC

CAPCOM VS SNK 2

STREET FIGHTER III: 3RD STRIKE

FAQ.

Q. The hell is a pool system?
A. It is pretty much a bracketing system that one of our staffers has been working on for some time now. It is meant to replace Double Elimination as being a much more efficient method of running single tournaments. It has the benefit of getting more games done with much faster, but it has the downside of ‘keeping’ players for a single game in place without being able to attend other tournament stations during that time.

Q. Can you explain the pool system?
A. The pool system works by putting 4 players in a single pool. These four players will be in pool A and named A1, A2, A3 and A4 accordingly. The matches will proceed as follows:

A1 v A2 = A5 Winner / Loser
A3 v A4 = A6 Winner / Loser
A5W v A6W = A7 Winner (I1) / Loser
A5L v A6L = A8 Winner (sent to pool B)
A7L v B8W = A9 Winner (H4)

This is an example bracket with names used to explain the process:

ALEX v BARRY = ALEX wins, BARRY will have to play the loser of CARLOS v DANNY
CARLOS v DANNY = DANNY wins, DANNY will be playing CARLOS
ALEX v DANNY = ALEX wins, and with 2 wins he advances to POOL I. DANNY will have to play the winner of match B8.
BARRY v CARLOS = CARLOS wins, eliminating BARRY. CARLOS will be sent to POOL B to play against the loser of match B7.
DANNY v B8W = DANNY wins, and with 2 wins he advances to POOL H. B8W is eliminated with 2 losses.

Q. How will I know which pool I’m in?
A. You will be given a card that says your game and pool placement when you sign up. YOU NEED TO HOLD ON TO THIS CARD AND NOT LOSE IT. More importantly, you must be present at all times if your pool is playing. If you need to step out for a moment (drink, bathroom), you must warn the person running your pool before doing so. NOT BEING PRESENT AT ANY TIME WHEN YOUR POOL ACTIVELY NEEDS YOU TO PLAY YOUR GAME WITHOUT BEING EXCUSED BY THE STAFF RUNNING YOUR POOL WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION: WE DO NOT WAIT FOR ANYONE IF THEY HAVE NOT BEEN EXCUSED!

Q. Isn’t this all just CRAZY COMPLICATED?
A. Not really! It’s fairly simple and similar systems are already used for other games (such as Starcraft and – well – the World Baseball Classic, I kid you not) and has been proven to be fairly useful then.

Q. Wait, I just noticed some people can lose more than once throughout the tournament and still be “in” the tournament itself! Isn’t that absurd?
A. It is possible to actually “carry” losses in the tournament and keep it more close to a double elimination tournament. However, we want to reward people who keep coming back from the bottom of their bracket with a shot at reaching the finals. More importantly, this rewards players who are fairly consistent even though they may come across bad matches as they are playing.

Q. To hell with all this, the bracket isn’t standard in any tournament I’ve ever been to! YOU ARE ALL TERRIBLE AND I HOPE YOU BURN
A. That’s your prerogative! The fact is that in testing, this actual bracket system got us through a hell of a lot of Smash games a lot faster than normal Smash tournaments run, almost based entirely on the fact that there was virtually no hunting for players throughout the tournament. Players KNOW when they need to be present at their station because most games run about a set amount of time, and so we can simply ask players to please be present at their stations at a certain hour because all pools will have pretty much been finished by then.

Q. can i have your autograph
A. $20, son.

=====================================================

NEED DIRECTIONS AND LOCATIONS TO THE CONVENTION?

YASUMICON: http://www.yasumicon.com

So since CvS2 and Brawl are at the same time, I can’t be in both? o-O

I’m there.

Now that’s what I call hyping it up early!! Posting the tournament info the day before it starts!! NICE!!!

yeah i love convention staff myself

the tournament sucked anyways ask broward (who showed up)

mavrick saved it though he brought everyone coconuts so it was cool

I hope they weren’t coacoa nuts. David fell for that. Twice.