Your personal tips on learning Streer Fighter 4

So, I’ve spent last week or so plowing through every bit of information srks newbie forum has to offer and I’ve started to wonder if people had any tips on learning footsies and spacing that worked for them that has yet to be covered by a sticky or random post in srk.
I think I’m doing pretty well since after reading everything I could find that has anything to do with SF4 I’ve gone online and beaten couple guys, given few others some what of a good match and to the rest… Well… You know… The rest handed my ass to me, but moving on. If there’s anything you could think that might help a new player to learn that worked for you, share it!

I’ve been with the game for one and half weeks and so far I’d have to say that this has got to be one of the most frustrating subjects to study… Yet, it’s more fun that I’ve had in a long time with a game!

Nooblet, Urvelo

play the game a lot (sounds obvious but I’ve seen so many new players go into a vortex of not playing because they’re bad but they’re bad because they don’t play)
find a mentor or community
figure out fundamentals first, don’t worry about sick 420 epik combos until later

Experience, play as much as you can. People can write and read as much as they want however alot of stuff has to literally become 2nd nature.
Try to set small goals above just winning, like Anti-airing everything, punishing certain moves, actively thinking about which normals to use in the neutral game and when to use them, etc. I made the mistake of grinding out combos in the beginning and i could never get in close enough to land any of themm and it hampered my progress considerably and i wasted alot of time because of it. Keeping things simple in the beginning is best, heck even at the higher level overcomplicating your gameplan is not the way you want to go.

The above is important. Pacing yourself instead of trying to hit a 15 hit combo your first time out is going to mean the difference between you quitting the game and being successful in it. Another thing you should learn is how to properly block. A good block will set you up to punish someone for trying to attack you.

1. Understanding what your opponent is doing why, why he’s doing it. And if it is, why its working.
  2. Once you got your main down learn ryu. I don’t mean on a super competitive level but try to be well versed in shotos.
  3. And as stated above which is excellent advice, experience and practice. Have a healthy mix of on and offline play.

Practice everyday, set goals for yourself to strengthen fundamentals that you’re weak at, read, read, read, and just never give up. Keep training, even if you lose all the time, you’ll get there.

Dont watch too many matches on Youtube for learning purposes. Watching matchs are entertaining but they wont teach you reactions,
spacing, timing and why a button was pressed.

Play a shit load, 50 years worth sounds about right.

Realistically all you have to do is learn how to use moves in practice mode and then you learn how to play from your experience versing other players.

Thanks for the responses.

Go on training mode and look at the squares on the ground to know the spacing. My friend told me this and it is very helpful that sf provides that is probably one of my favorite

• practice executing your combos, setups, character-specific punishes, anti-air reactions, and such for 5-10 minutes or until you get bored before every gaming session
  • watch your replays occasionally , especially the matches that you lost. This is very valuable to learn from your mistakes and improve your game. If you can reproduce the situation that you’re struggling in training mode, do so
  • write down notes about character-specific matchups, setups, and universal tactics
  • watch other people’s uploads to learn new tech and strategies. I recommend subscribing to yogaflame24 at youtube
  • frequent your character’s shoryuken subforum as another resource to learn new stuff
  • read the shoryuken fighting game handbook, sonic hurricane footsies guide, and watch the vesper arcade sf4 tutorial and david sirlin’s sf2 tutorial to really strengthen your knowledge
  • do not play when you’re frustrated; you’ll only perform worse otherwise. Take a break if so. Remember that you’re playing to unwind and have fun, not get stressed out over a video game
  • imo, in terms of improving, playing all day isn’t really beneficial, but rather only useful to practice applying what you learned in real matches. Keep this in mind

Practice, practice do your research then go back and practice some more