I’m going to list various popular fighting games that have developed large/strong communities and a very high level metagame - the kind of games which defined the FGC in the golden decade of the genre. The idea is for me to spike interest in fighting games from the 90’s in those who missed out on arcades and classic gaming goodness. There are also various questions I’m hoping people will answer based on their knowledge, experience, and perspectives.
- Street Fighter II Champion Edition …1992
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo ……1994
- Street Fighter Alpha 2 ……1996
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 ……1998
- Street Fighter III 3rd Strike …1999
- King of Fighters '98 …1998
- Garou Mark of The Wolves …1999
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 …1995
- Vampire Savior …1997
- Marvel vs Capcom …1998
- Super Smash Bros. (N64) …1999
Game with largest community worldwide?
Game with highest level amongst top players?
Game with highest level amongst average/random players?
Game with steepest learning curve?
Game with shallowest learning curve?
Game with deepest metagame?
Game most demanding in execution?
Most balanced game?
Least balanced game?
Most broken game?
Game with most gameplay knowledge and technical data available?
And if you’d like, how would you rank these as the OVERALL best fighting game? Factors that weigh in include game depth, metagame complexity, balance, execution/technical requirements, and having least gameplay issues. Based on all these factors, how would you rank the games on this list as the overall best fighting game?
Yup, it’s a lot of stuff, and you don’t have to answer all of them, but it’s nice to hear what people think and know. Thanks!
Additional questions but not necessary:
- KOF98 Vs Garou MOTW - which is the better SNK game and why?
- Marvel vs Capcom 1 vs Vampire Savior - which is the better pressure fighter and why?