Zero Experience Solderer

I read up on lot of stickies and even looked up some videos(well, tried to) and basically what I am trying to do is I want to get a Cthulu board + Imp on my Madcatz TE 360 Fightstick. I’ve already taken the buttons and joystick out and messed with the fightstick in general(or in other words voiding the warranty) so I am comfortable with that part.

What I am not comfortable with is soldering, as I have 0 experience in this subject. I understand how it works. I also read the soldering guide on the forums here but I still feel like I don’t fully understand.

I guess my questions are:

1. Are there any video tutorials for soldering the Madcatz stick specifically? If anyone can upload them, that would be awesome.

2. The wires for soldering, do they come with the package in the Cthulu/Imp boards or do they have to be bought in some electronics store?

3. Would I need flux for the board to prevent burning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It’ll be a lot easier than it’ll initially seem. All you need is a decent iron, some solder, flux, wire, a stripper, and a lot of patience.

Soldering is soldering, just take your time and DO NOT RUSH. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. If you rush, you’ll mess up. From what I’ve seen on the C-Board is that the holes do have some nicely made solderpoints so what I would suggest is this.

Get a controller or a bricked motherboard or some kind of circutboard you don’t care about and practice desoldering all the components, then practice soldering wires into them, once you are comfortable with that, then approach the C-board the same way.

And I believe for wires, you need to get those from the Electronics store

1. I don’t know if there are any videos sorry.

2. You have to buy the wires yourself. 22-24 AWG wire is good.

3. Flux is not required, BUT it is helpful so I recommend you use some.

Dont. Just dont. A dual mod is not a first time solderer’s project. You run too much of a risk of destroying the TE pcb and frustrating yourself for weeks. The cost of all of the tools needed for a beginner to do this (iron, solder, flux, desolder sucker/copper braid, wire clippers, multimeter) should go to pay a pro to do it for you.

If you just want a dual modded stick, get someone else to do it. If you want to pick up this kind of mod work and electronics as a hobby, you should be starting on far easier tasks before risking that much money on your first project you aren’t even comfortable troubleshooting.

I do have to agree that dual modding is not the best choice for a first time solderers job. Although this was my first time modding anything, of course all my soldering practice was in HS while calling my electronics teacher a fuckwit because I learned jack shit from that class

cant you get the already assembled one so no soldering is required unless of course you already bought everything

Yeah but if you plan to use an imp you have to solder stuff.

I am dual modding my first stick and it is my first experience soldering and I will say Toodles is right to some degree. I think it depends on your level of comfort and understanding of the subject matter. I did a ton of research soldering and wiring the boards before I started so I knew what I was getting in to.

That all being said, my stick isn’t finished so I haven’t got a clue if everything works. I know it’s all wired correctly so far but that doesn’t mean I didn’t botch something somewhere and yeah I have no way to test it yet… so if you have the patience and you’re willing to risk the possibility of wasting a pcb if you screw up, then yeah go for it but do a lot of reading and learning before you start.