Zonk details

cody

Haven’t seen this talked about anywhere, and in the frame data Cicada and Yeb posted (thanks again!) there’s nothing about this either. But there are 3 versions of Zonk Knuckle.

Apparently, Zonk has a property similar to TAP where the charge time affects the move, but only up to a third stage, and it only takes about 4 or 5 seconds to get to stage 3. The easy way to see the difference is the damage. All versions do 200 stun, but they do 130/140/150 damage. However, and maybe more importantly, they go different distances. The higher the charge, the more distance traveled. It’s funny because I had sworn in a few matches that I was in range of a Zonk, and let one go on reaction to a fireball, and had it whiff. This could easily explain that.

What I want to know (and am unable to test reliably) is: do the 3 different versions also have different startup (or any other) frames? I’m feeling like the first stage might be the fastest, to go along with the fact that it travels the least difference. This is important not only for fireballs, but because if it’s true, a level 1 Zonk will be much more reliable in option selects on a jump in.

If someone has a way to test this, please give us some info. :china:

Im having some issues with the zonk, i dont know if im not sure about the charge time but sometimes the EX bingo doesnt comes out, the most usual cases are on wake up.

Can we charge the Zonk after a knockdown like rogs TAP?

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn’t, but EX zonk goes through Chun Li’s u2. Guy tryed to chip me to death, I had it charged up, the 2nd the screen came out of ultra freeze I popped it and won the match.

EX Zonk not coming out, if you have a fightstick, is a fat finger issue. You’re releasing one button before the other, inputting whichever move came out first. Best bet in this situation is to lift your palm off the fightstick, your fingers will follow suit and release the buttons simultaneously.

I have a TE joystick

I was having the same problem Shak and Sven’s advice, while not completely fixing the problem, has helped a good deal

Zonk Reverse Piano

I was having many issues timing my Zonk Knuckle as a reversal at the end of block strings, especially against opponents who are able to apply a lot of pressure for a long period of time (Dictator, Boxer, Ryu, etc.), so I tried a technique that seems to be working pretty well.

While you are blocking the string, hold multiple punch buttons. Then, as your opponent is getting to the end of their string (when they cancel from the last normal into a special), reverse piano key the punch buttons. It’s basically like doing a piano key movement except using the concept of negative edge instead of hard button presses. This will give you a much greater chance of timing your reversal correctly within a small window of opportunity. Just make sure continue to hold block, just in case the move doesn’t come out.

Thanks everybody i think i understood, since i always use the EX zonk i was releasing one button after the other and it has to be at the same time but now i feel more confortable using the non EX zonk and is pretty effective on fireball char, now i feel im playing better against them.

regarding lp, mp, hp zonk is there any other details missing… for instance lp being immune to grabs? lp/mp/ hp being immune to low attacks or better for AA? any other than EX with juggle properties? etc?

I will have to try this. Zonk won’t come sometimes during block strings or wake up.

while in the cell, found what *seems * to be reliable evidence that lvl1&2 bingo do indeed have faster startup than lvl3…

i was working on some silly ex zonk combos… w/f+strong, cl.strong xx exzonk & invariably i would miss the exzonk release & get bingo instead, which mostly** would not **connect.
since i was doing corner stuff & always in the same close distance w/the combo, i assumed it was due to when i began the charge

started charging later & started connecting the bingo cancel

since only lvl1&2 bingo will cancel after a cl.strong(or cl.forward, for style…for style) & level3 will not = quicker sartup?

[307,520] j.fierce > f+mp > cl.mp xx BINGO
is what i wrote down@the time… im assuming its a lvl2… i start charging fierce on the jump in:sweat:

hope this helps :tup:

Reversal timing on wake up seems best when you release when cody puts his hand on his knee…

I was just wanted to know if you can FADC Zonk to FD ult 1? Thank you

You can the first hit off ex, the others put the opponent in invincible air reel.

Thanks alot this is great info. I think alot of poeple dont see how good zonk is. It sucks online but offline it counters aton of moves. The thought that runs through my head is zonk is a hold down move for a reason. It would be way overpowerd if it was just QCF or HCF. When i play i constantly hold down a punch (primarley hard punch). And i can still do all my combo’s. The crazy thing is i kinda picked up on this too but only when i was looking at zonk knuckle damage.

quote RH-

What I want to know (and am unable to test reliably) is: do the 3 different versions also have different startup (or any other) frames? I’m feeling like the first stage might be the fastest, to go along with the fact that it travels the least difference. This is important not only for fireballs, but because if it’s true, a level 1 Zonk will be much more reliable in option selects on a jump in.

If someone has a way to test this, please give us some info.

Yeah i want to know too. i also noticed that sometimes zonk would combo with down med punch and sometimes it wouldnt. My assumption is the small one comes out the fastest but has the worst recovery. There has to be a reward for charging for 5 seconds.

ok so after testing i found out some interesting stuff. I thought all low attacks beat zonk knuckle, but that is incorrect. The full charge zonk beats or ties low attacks. So what this means is full charge zonk has slow start up, long range and more invincible frames. I just tested this 5 mins ago so i could be incorrect, but i was so excited i had to post(:

I think you can FADC Ex Zonk and follow up with several moves anyone know whats a good follow up? I also think EX Zonk is the only one of them that can be FADC’d is that correct?

Yeah EX zonk is the only one that can be FADC, ultra 1 is an obvious follow up and I’m pretty sure you can regular zonk aswell as crack kick -> ex criminal.

In order to nail U1 does it have to be in the corner?

Also are any of those combos worth it damage wise? Or is it just for show?